Arizona Chickens

Hi new peeps!
frow.gif
Glad you are joining us!

Quote:
I use warm water in a sink, and baby shampoo, with a drop of dandruff shampoo. Lather and rinse, section by section, then wrap in a towel and cuddle until dry and sleepy. Then popped into a cage to be safe and warm until showtime.

We got out third hen laying yesterday. One of my Barred Hollands started giving us white eggs. This morning we had 3 eggs. Since my first one started laying (Barred Rock) we have had 17 eggs in 19 days from her.

And as I'm typing this my wife informed me that a fourth started laying today
1f603.png

5 more to start laying. Can't wait!!!

Last edited:
We got out third hen laying yesterday. One of my Barred Hollands started giving us white eggs. This morning we had 3 eggs. Since my first one started laying (Barred Rock) we have had 17 eggs in 19 days from her.

1f603.png

Yay!
I found my 22 week old BR in the nest box today(no egg yet) and my 27 week old BCM's comb is growing bigger and red!
First egg excitement never gets old! lol

I use warm water in a sink, and baby shampoo, with a drop of dandruff shampoo. Lather and rinse, section by section, then wrap in a towel and cuddle until dry and sleepy. Then popped into a cage to be safe and warm until showtime.
Do you use a cage with bedding or a wire bottom?

Yay!
I found my 22 week old BR in the nest box today(no egg yet) and my 27 week old BCM's comb is growing bigger and red!
First egg excitement never gets old! lol
First eggs are always eggciting! Congrats to you and @dnx717 on your new layers!

How many are you bringing? I wouldn't wash them later than Wed., even that is a bit late. They need to be able to preen/reoil their feathers and look natural and takes a good three days. I remember at the Pima County Fair, my RIR won over the White Rock, belonging to you know who, which really surprised me. Gene Helton was judging, he didn't know it was my RIR but later when I talked with him about the show, he said he told James it looked like that White Rock had been washed the night before and James said, yes, he had. Amazing the judge can tell that.
Really most of the time I don't wash the way you read about; usually I put them in enough water to soak their legs and be able to wash their butts; I don't always even use soap, just water; partly depends on how dirty they are. Most of mine are not dirty on top so I leave that part alone. After I take them out and wrap in a towel I wash their combs and faces with a rag and oil them. The dirtiest part are the white legs on the orps; my dirt is so fine and dusty in the coops and it gets embedded under the scales, that takes the longest. Washed one the other day and I'm going to have to go back over his legs because I couldn't get it all in one shot. I need to pick up a small tooth brush or something.

Glad the dirt doesn't show so much on the Marans!

I try hard not to wash them too close to show time because of that; and don't blow dry if I can help it at all because I think that makes their fluff just fluffier.

I can't wait until my young four start laying.  Hopefully that will settle them down.  They are so flighty and nervous, and just generally unpleasant to be around with all of their paranoid squawking and running around. I always feel like chasing them just so they have a reason to act like I'm the enemy (no worries, I'm too lazy to actually chase after them).    I can't recall when I got them, but they have to be at least 5 months old now. 

I go out at night when they are on their roost, grab them and carry them around whether they like t or not. Plus I like to be able to check for bumble foot, lice or anything.. Then sometimes give them mealworms for a treat.. Spoiled brats.. Love and treats all in one

I'd love to see your coop pics when you get a chance. I think I'd like one that I could attached a door as needed.

There is a coop Fourm on here.. Our coop's are basic. Prefab, except a long tractor I planned on using in the backyard. But, we have a dog that like to eat chciken for breakfast, lunch & dinner. We built a stucko wall with a ugly gate, in my opion.. We really want a different one, on that list of things to do.. So they live on the whole side of our property. It really is a long run.. We used a book case for extra nesting box's. Nothing exciting.. They poop on everything, so I put palm fronds on top of some of the stuff then just toss out when "dirty'ed" up.. Their dust bathing area is a wood contained old fruit stand free from sprouts grocery store. On the top where the fruit went has long wood dividers. Perfect for a lettuce patch. I ran out of fencing to enclose the top. Now we have enough to finish, on that list. It is 4 feet high, by 3 feet across and about 4-5 feet long. The wood on the out side is a pretty stained, burnt color.. When they do their dust baths it is somewhat contained underneath.
We host bonfires so you will have to pop on over for tea sometime. We were hoping to have our red brick front yard patio done this month, but our friends are running a but behind.. So will post up when we do another one..

1f603.png

Congradulations. :goodpost:
Sweet... We just did a 2nd round of de-worming. We won't be eating eggs for 2 weeks. We like to do this when they are not laying.. Our E.E. is laying about 4 per week..

Back
Top Bottom