Arizona Chickens

does anyone close to Mesa have an incubator I can borrow for a week or so? My duck is brooding eggs due on new years day and I am afraid she might be giving up on the eggs. She has been up off them quite a bit the past couple days and they were not very warm when I checked them today. She also messed up her round mounded nest and the eggs were not as tight up together as they have been. this is her first clutch so I am really nervous! hhahaha.

does anyone close to Mesa have an incubator I can borrow for a week or so? My duck is brooding eggs due on new years day and I am afraid she might be giving up on the eggs. She has been up off them quite a bit the past couple days and they were not very warm when I checked them today. She also messed up her round mounded nest and the eggs were not as tight up together as they have been. this is her first clutch so I am really nervous! hhahaha.

I've got one, it's still air if that's OK. I'll PM you.

Hi all--

I actually got ONE egg a couple of days ago! Woohoo! It was a super dark one from my marans, I guess the long break bumped up the color coating factory. Her first ever was super dark too, but decreased intensity as each egg was laid. Still had to buy an 18-pack of eggs for the holiday cooking and baking. My 5 year old was AMAZED at the white eggs--didn't know they existed! I don't have any white egg layers, and always bought brown eggs in the past.

Our xmas eve feast tonight will feature the huge CX I butchered 2 weekends ago. The one that gorged himself so much that the liquids in him audibly sloshed as he walked.

Tomorrow I find out if that big box under the tree in an incubator!

Last edited:
Hi all--

I actually got ONE egg a couple of days ago! Woohoo! It was a super dark one from my marans, I guess the long break bumped up the color coating factory. Her first ever was super dark too, but decreased intensity as each egg was laid. Still had to buy an 18-pack of eggs for the holiday cooking and baking. My 5 year old was AMAZED at the white eggs--didn't know they existed! I don't have any white egg layers, and always bought brown eggs in the past.

Our xmas eve feast tonight will feature the huge CX I butchered 2 weekends ago. The one that gorged himself so much that the liquids in him audibly sloshed as he walked.

Tomorrow I find out if that big box under the tree in an incubator!

Keep my fingers crossed for you!
wink.png

that's wonderful, I'm going to go pick up some Modesto Mills feed crumbles and pellets from @Timskins up in surprise anybody want anything?

Modesto Mills is what @desertMarcy uses for her chickens and it's an organic feed without the corn soy or canola in it but they do have some you can buy some organic soy in the feed.

MM does use canola. I buy the soy free blends. Used to get the corn and soy free, but the corn is supposed to help with the yellow leg coloring on my Barred Rocks and RIRs. I stopped using fish meal after learning of the bad preservative that is used in it. Also not sure of the source of the fish.

MM does use canola. I buy the soy free blends. Used to get the corn and soy free, but the corn is supposed to help with the yellow leg coloring on my Barred Rocks and RIRs. I stopped using fish meal after learning of the bad preservative that is used in it. Also not sure of the source of the fish.

According to my research, feeding them carrots in lieu of corn will help with the yellow leg coloring too. I can't confirm from personal experience (yet), but I though I'd share.
wink.png

According to my research, feeding them carrots in lieu of corn will help with the yellow leg coloring too. I can't confirm from personal experience (yet), but I though I'd share.
wink.png

There are various food supplements that will do it. Marigold extract is another. My issue is, I have so many birds, I have to keep it simple. A good well-rounded commercial organic feed is about the best I can do under the circumstances. I have talked with Chris at Modesto about GMO contamination. They do a good job sourcing their grains from farms that are isolated and not surrounded by GMO fields. Plus they have their feed tested regularly for GMO contamination.

Very nice! Looks well ventilated too.

Do you have coyotes or bobcats in your neighborhood? If so you might want to bury a wire skirt around the perimeter to keep them from digging under the bottom of the coop and eating your birds.

Hi Sill what you put in the coop floor?

There are various food supplements that will do it. Marigold extract is another. My issue is, I have so many birds, I have to keep it simple. A good well-rounded commercial organic feed is about the best I can do under the circumstances. I have talked with Chris at Modesto about GMO contamination. They do a good job sourcing their grains from farms that are isolated and not surrounded by GMO fields. Plus they have their feed tested regularly for GMO contamination.

Have you had good dealings with Chris?

Back
Top Bottom