Arizona Chickens

Thought I would start with chicks, no incubator.  I would like a Buff Orph, Red Star, Barred Rock, Rhode Isl Red, Easter Egger, and Gold laced Wyandotte.  What do you think of those choices? 

You haven't listed a single breed that I don't admire...and often covet...but of what you listed I only have experience with hatchery Barred Rocks. I've only been keeping chickens for about four months and started with hatchery grade Australorps, Barred Rocks and Silkies that I bought from local feed stores. Of those three the BRs are my hands-down favorites. They're friendly and affectionate with me, assertive without being mean to the rest of the flock, very smart, very hardy, and an all-around wonderful breed. One of my cockerels is a BR and he's wonderful...very sweet and tame but at 3 months also already very productive of "his girls". (He's actually my favorite in the entire flock.)

I really don't see a single breed that you've listed that I've ever head a complaint about. Sounds like a fun mix!

Oh...and there's a breeder of at least a couple of the breeds you mentioned on this thread. (I think she goes by DesertMarcy.) Here's the link to her website...in case you're interested...: http://featheredreptilesfarm.weebly.com/

Her birds are fantastic!! It's hard to say no to beautiful bird's..

how's everyone doing with the rain tonight? It's great for my fruit trees in my yard and so my lawn greens up in the back by the chickens!
lol.png

woot.gif

My goats love the rain for some reason lol! they sit by the side of the pen and let it rain on their face
roll.png
The horses at work hate going in the barn when it rains though, they always get grumpy and kick at each other :p

Last edited:
* The only thing I have to add about Getting chickens is - check the "Pecking Order". Make sure if ya coop these altogether that 1 breed isn't going to beat up another. My Frizzle Bantam Rooster was water aggressive and beat up both my hens. He wouldn't let them near the water. So I separated him from the girls. Then my Red Guinea Hen beat up my Salmon Favorelle so I had to separate them. So I have 2 permanent coops for my girls and a move able coop for my roo to eat ants. Some think the "Pecking Order" is a bunch of bullhockey. It's not. Some breeds just really don't get along with others at all. *

We have all age's.. Yes they do peck eachother but if you put all of them together as babies they will be fine.. Now adding the duck's that was a issue.. Our tiny brat Clair, chased them down..

She is maybe 4 pounds..
We have more than one eating and drinking spot's.. Our Plymouth Barred Rock was one of the meanest bird's..

Hi,
I am in Tucson, Arizaon, and I was wondering if any bodies chickens are laying? I have 11 pullers that are about 7 months old, and they arnt laying!:(. Why!?

By the way, they are 3 RHR, 2 black austrolorps, 2 ameraucanas, 1 buff orp, 1 red sex link, 1 white leghorn, and 1 blue cochin.

Have you tried THREATINNG them??

.... :lau
... that's a Good one @City farm!!

It worked. Showed the duck's the roasting pan..

this is a question about your Isbar Roo that just "started crowing". I have a beautiful juvenile breeding pair and wanted to know when to expect my cockerel to start crowing? We live "out" so it''ll be a cool treat, as he's our only Roo right now.

He's about 4 mos and 1 week.

how's everyone doing with the rain tonight? It's great for my fruit trees in my yard and so my lawn greens up in the back by the chickens! :lol:
:woot

My goats love the rain for some reason lol! they sit by the side of the pen and let it rain on their face :rolleyes: The horses at work hate going in the barn when it rains though, they always get grumpy and kick at each other :p
lucky you with some goats too! ;)

... Good milk, cheese and meat!

I have wanted that breed as well.. Did you hand raise her?

Actually I got her from someone on here. He got her already hand raised. He just continued to work with her. I work with her as well to keep her used to being handled. This particular breed is easy to do that with. They've been in a few movies. You can actually train them to use a toilet. I will say this though, she's never pooped anywhere except on my kitchen floor, in the house. I had to bring her in when we revamped her chicken house. I let her outta the kennel to eat. She hopped up on my counter to watch me crush egg shells. Then hopped down when I was done. She shoulda been a dog or cat. She's well behaved in the house.

she is right, quality does matter. There are local breeders depending what area you live in.
you're supposed to be a local breeder that starts with the P out in the West Valley, west of Phoenix. Does anybody remember their name???
......remind me,, what kind of roo is he?

bielefelder
...and he looks funny in his collar. But hey, if it keeps him out of the frying pan who cares how funny he looks? He really doesn't seem to mind it.

I've been planting out my spring seeds and have a couple of new plants set to germinate. OK, more than a couple! Some were in the seed box, others I bought because I wanted to try growing something different. I'll see how everything does in the heat. New to my garden will be Fish Peppers, Purple Chiltepenes, Bishop's Hat Peppers, White Guava, Henna, Ashwagandha, Utah Tall and Red Venture Celery, Midori Giant Edamame, Fennel, Deep Purple and Dragon Carrots, Erbett Chard, Asia Red Amaranth, and Hybrid Red Mizuna. But the two I'm most excited to try are vines. I got Kakai Hulless Pumpkins and Gac Fruit. I think the Kakai Pumpkins will do well here, the Gac Fruit I'm not too sure of. The Gac seeds are large and strange looking, like organic throwing stars, and I think in Vietnam they call the seeds "wooden tortoises" because of their shape.

They will get a protected spot, and I might need to get them a greenhouse. Yeah, they need a greenhouse!

The Bishop's Cap Peppers will be interesting too. I got the seed from a Vietnamese friend in Sacramento, and the pepper plants themselves get 4 feet tall! The peppers are sweet on the outer rim and get hotter in toward the seeds. Delicious fruit on very robust, productive bushes. The peppers themselves are unusual in shape and ripen from green to orange to red.

I'm hoping to have lots of seeds to share in the box. Eventually!

Actually I got her from someone on here. He got her already hand raised. He just continued to work with her. I work with her as well to keep her used to being handled. This particular breed is easy to do that with. They've been in a few movies. You can actually train them to use a toilet. I will say this though, she's never pooped anywhere except on my kitchen floor, in the house. I had to bring her in when we revamped her chicken house. I let her outta the kennel to eat. She hopped up on my counter to watch me crush egg shells. Then hopped down when I was done. She shoulda been a dog or cat. She's well behaved in the house.

How does she do in the AZ summer heat? I pondered this breed as well for their sheer beauty and reputation for being so docile.

I had a conversation last week with a young man who raised and showed chickens from early youth. He had a Polish cockerel that behaved much like your Faverolle, and even trained it to use a doggy door so it wouldn't poop in the house at all. Chickens are just amazing creatures! (My husband won't allow anything other than chicks in the house. Bummer....LOL!)

Back
Top Bottom