Arizona Chickens

So I lost my Wyndotte Roo this morning, All my Gueneas and half of my BR's were killed by my brothers stupid standard poodles about 5 months ago. But on a good note my silkies are reproducing well and i have four new turkeys unsure of the breed but it looks like i have one tom and three hens.

So sorry about your loss. Good luck with your turkeys!

Just wondering if it's too hot to collect hatching eggs? We're getting ready to do out first incubation (well, hoping to).

Thanks all!!!!

Just wondering if it's too hot to collect hatching eggs? We're getting ready to do out first incubation (well, hoping to).

Thanks all!!!!

Depends on when they lay them, the temperature of the nest box, how soon you can collect the eggs. If you have early morning layers you may have viable eggs, can't hurt to try.

So I lost my Wyndotte Roo this morning, All my Gueneas and half of my BR's were killed by my brothers stupid standard poodles about 5 months ago. But on a good note my silkies are reproducing well and i have four new turkeys unsure of the breed but it looks like i have one tom and three hens.

I would love to see your turkeys. It is always fun to figure out what variety they are. Porter Turkeys also runs a turkey color genetics group on Facebook. You can post photos there and the experts will figure out their probable genotype (if they are mixed).

Hi Fellow Zonies,

I posted a picture on the RIR thread about one of my 12 week olds, but got no replies. I was trying to figure out if this RIR was a Roo or Pullet. It is slightly bigger than my other RIR, but... I just don't know. Can anyone here give a hand to a total newbie.

My vote is for pullet. I had a RIR a couple years ago that looked just like that at that age. I had so many fears she was a rooster because for a while she had all kinds of wonky tail feathers, but she ended up a little hen. These pics are when she was about 14 weeks or so.

My vote is for pullet. I had a RIR a couple years ago that looked just like that at that age. I had so many fears she was a rooster because for a while she had all kinds of wonky tail feathers, but she ended up a little hen. These pics are when she was about 14 weeks or so.

@Rhapsody1 I agree with Twinklin. One RIR I had, feed store type, was slow maturing and I was positive she was a roo. Nope - she turned out to be one of the sweetest hens. She talks, sits on my DH's lap, squawks when dinner is late and get a all around enjoyable hen. She's never been a great layer but is way more enjoyable than productive. Twinklin my 2nd RIR girl looks much like yours and she stayed small.

My Easter Egger, Leia, is still in the garage but the move outside full time for the other girls has gone well. They've learned to put themselves to bed though I typically chase them in a little earlier than they're ready because I don't like waiting until dark. I'm still too afraid to let them free range but over the next couple weeks I'll be getting the yard in shape for our 4th of July party so I'll likely start letting them range during the day for a bit here and there.

Leia finished all her antibiotics and she seems totally fine (eating, drinking, normal poop) besides the fluid filled lump on her butt, but since she had it drained it did refill but not as large I think, so I'm going to get the vet to drain it again and hopefully the infection will be gone and it won't fill back up again. Then I get to do the whole process of integrating her back in with the others.

I basically banished the birds to the corner of the run today because they're idiots and were fighting over a little piece of shade in the back of the run when I had made this special shaded area in the corner with the mister set up and a dish with ice water for them to drink/stand in but were too set on that other tiny shady spot to even notice. I had to chase them to the mister corner and when they realized how awesome it was they wouldn't move. They whole run is covered with shade cloth but in this heat the filtered shade isn't enough so I think I'm going to put other layer on to block out more light.

Back
Top Bottom