Arizona Chickens

We just had a microburst come through here and break huge branches out of the trees and blow a small chicken coop off it's foundation and into a fence. Thankfully all the chickens were smart enough to get under the big coop. So they're wet, but not harmed.

Oh no so sorry.. down pour on it's way here. We just had some huge raindrops and wind's. .

Gender guess anyone? My slightly bigger/same age hen follows this one around a lot, and that's a pretty good size comb for a 5-6 week old chick.

What breed? Looks like a cockerel from that comb but with some breeds like leghorns the hens have big combs.

Does anyone in the valley want to host a BYC seed exchange, or take the seed box? We don't mind hosting another .. We have had it all summer, since it came back from Tucson..

This Egyptian spinach is just starting to seed from the summer.. It is delish.. @Sill grew it from seed and graciously gave us a plant.. We have been eating off of it this summer.. I hope it makes it threw the winter .. I'll go take photo's of the flowers and pods..
They are a warm season annual so probably won't survive winter. Gather all those seeds and plant early next spring so they can grow big before the heat hits. They LOVE heat and are one of the few greens that don't go bitter in summer. I wish I had planted more!

It looks like more is on the way here too. Minimal damage from our little tornado, but it looks like a huge mess. Lol. I'm just glad the chickens weren't hurt.

We just had a microburst come through here and break huge branches out of the trees and blow a small chicken coop off it's foundation and into a fence. Thankfully all the chickens were smart enough to get under the big coop. So they're wet, but not harmed.

Oh no! Smart chickens to get out of the wind. I'm waiting for it to hit here. Looks ominous out.

Geez - no fun! Nothing is worse than "fixing" in the mud! Glad everyone was okay.........

Geez - no fun! Nothing is worse than "fixing" in the mud! Glad everyone was okay.........
Thanks. It could have been worse, that's for sure. We're going to cut up all the usable trees that were downed for firewood and and just clean up the mess. Some Ash, Hackberry and Pine trees that were 50+ years old snapped like twigs and were tossed hundreds of feet from where they started out.

It was so weird, all of the damage happened behind the house. No trees or debris at all in the front.

What breed ? Plus dig down into their saddle feathers.. Those are the pointy ones at the base of their back, just before the tail.. also you can see the hackle feathers starting..

Blue Isbar.  I'm betting cock?
need a clear picture of the whole bird and front of the face so we can see the waddles and the side of the face.

Last edited:
Thanks. It could have been worse, that's for sure. We're going to cut up all the usable trees that were downed for firewood and and just clean up the mess. Some Ash, Hackberry and Pine trees that were 50+ years old snapped like twigs and were tossed hundreds of feet from where they started out.

It was so weird, all of the damage happened behind the house. No trees or debris at all in the front.
I'm glad no one got hurt. Those giant old trees flying though the air must have been quite a sight.

We got our first batch of 6 (one didn't make it
sad.png
) on June 14th and of course the heat had already started. I started reading up on taking care of chickens and came across this site, LOVE IT! I finally joined a couple of days ago, lol. Anyway, this past summer I did use frozen water jugs, frozen water bottles (in their drinking water) and a box fan. My poor girls and guy were always hanging around or on the frozen jugs. I also hosed their run down every morning early afternoon. They come running when they see the hose, lol. I was having to change the frozen water bottles in their drinking water so often I started freezing plastic gallon ice cream buckets more than 3/4 full. They seemed to last enough that I only had to do it once a day. To make sure they were frozen solid, I had a couple to rotate so one could freeze for at least 24 hrs. One shelf in my upright freezer is for my chickens. Their run is built around 2 trees (mesquite and palo verde) and we have shade screen on top and on one side. I'd spray them down and use them like cooler pads. We also have a sheet of plywood wired at an angle to give them more shade. They made it through with flying colors!!!

Back
Top Bottom