Arizona Chickens

Hey Guys! So I saw a coyote in the neighborhood this morning... And we live pretty inside of our subdivision. My coop is not coyote proof (I know I know). Any suggestions for a quick fix for tonight so I don't pace the way for a chicken buffet??

Do you have a dog, or can get one ??

These pics are soo cute! It makes me want to buy fertile eggs and see if my hen would do the same haha. She's only 7 month old and not laying yet though.

Yeah...You might want to wait until she shows broody behavior. Otherwise they don't seem to know what to make of those offensive eggs that pop out of their bodies and usually just ignore them.
wink.png

The second of my three White Rocks turned broody today. "Someone" from her mixed flock laid a lovely little speckled egg in a nesting box and she quickly took ownership of it. I removed her from the box three times today but she went right back to it, now trying diligently to hatch the wooden training egg I'd previously placed in the box. I removed her from the box one last time tonight after dark and placed her on the roost with her flockmates. I'm really hoping this will be sufficient to break her broodiness as I already have the five chicks with Mama Lily, and 22 chicks in the brooder. I really don't have room for any more.

We picked up a few Serama chickens yesterday & the guy asked me to spread the word that he has many available. He's off 48th st & baseline in Phx. Of the 3 we took- 1 has lice, (we knew when we agreed to take him) but they're healthy otherwise. The guy is super nice; he has chicks, hens & roosters of all ages & colors. He really does care for them, but he just has too many to give them individual attention. He's also got 4 Production looking hens with yellow legs that he got by mistake about 4-5 mo old that can go too. He's selling them very cheap. Only $25/pair for most, some less. I'll attach a few pics of the ones we got so you have an idea. Message me if you would like his contact info
Your son looks smitten! Cute birds!

Yeah...You might want to wait until she shows broody behavior. Otherwise they don't seem to know what to make of those offensive eggs that pop out of their bodies and usually just ignore them.
wink.png

The second of my three White Rocks turned broody today. "Someone" from her mixed flock laid a lovely little speckled egg in a nesting box and she quickly took ownership of it. I removed her from the box three times today but she went right back to it, now trying diligently to hatch the wooden training egg I'd previously placed in the box. I removed her from the box one last time tonight after dark and placed her on the roost with her flockmates. I'm really hoping this will be sufficient to break her broodiness as I already have the five chicks with Mama Lily, and 22 chicks in the brooder. I really don't have room for any more.
All these broodies at the end of the season! Those are some dedicated mommas.

@generaldsherman
@lakeyn
It was good to see you & your family!! And for all the wonderful seed's. Hope you guy's got some seed's for your garden...

Yep. Next Saturday is gardening day. Need to till out the garden and add my winter crops.

I just got the area ready for the Pansy's we got from you.. They are edible so we will be adding them to salads.. Thanks so vey much..

Last edited:
Do silkies mature more slowly than every other hen I have the very same age???? Lol. I have 6 months silkies that are not laying. Seriously, do they tend to take longer?

My Buff Silkie started laying at 21 weeks, but as she's the only pure Silkie I've ever had I can't say whether this is normal or not. 

Our girl did take a few extra week's .. It also depends on the amount of day light.. We keep a light on them in the evening for about 2 extra hours

We are still waiting for these brats to give us egg's..

We have a old roasting pan they would hang in.. Not that I'm hinting or anything..

It looks like 2 images downloaded.. Weird, hope it is a good photo..

Back
Top Bottom