Arizona Chickens

You would be surprised. . A hawk is a predator.. they have keen eyesite. . Our rooster that we used to have would let the girls know when something was flying above. They would either freeze or run quickly under cover.. it's nice to have them inside when they're little, you get to hold them more often. they become calm when being held.. it's wonderful.. named them yet?
Once there two weeks old they don't have to be kept at 95 degrees. You decrease the heat every week, by five degrees.

I did read that about the temperature, but the place that I bought them a feed and tact store on 32street and bell in PV sold me a heat lamp for them with no temp controls.
And thanks for all the info I love it cause I definatly need info I have been reading a lot and watching you tube and asking friends who have chickens

You can get smaller wattage heat bulbs in the reptile section of Petsmart. Any pet store with good reptile supplies should have them. I have several, ranging from 150 watts down to 50. I change them out as the chicks get older and the ambient temperature gets hotter. You can also moderate the temperature by moving the heat lamp farther away.

Make sure the chicks always have space that's NOT under the heat lamp. Broody hens will take young chicks out in the snow. The chicks need a warm safe place to run to when they need it. They also need to be able to cool off. They will be much healthier if they have temperature options.

I use a Sweeter Heater or Ecoglow in my outdoor brooder, along with the heat lamp. The Sweeter Heaters and Ecoglows need ambient temps over 50 degrees to keep the chicks warm enough. My brooder is outside so I have the heat lamp for cold weather. My heat lamp is on a thermostat. (Thermostat is designed for reptile heat pad. It plugs in between the heat lamp and the power source, like an extension cord. I put the temperature probe at chick level in a far corner of the brooder.) In cold weather I have the heat lamp on the thermostat. In hot weather (100+) I pull out the heat lamp and put the Sweeter heater on the thermostat, setting it to turn off if the brooder temp goes over 75-90 (depending on age of chicks). I do raise a lot of chicks. 65 last year. Hopefully not so many this year.
1f642.png

Good luck with your new adventure!

That's a good idea to get a different bulb I do have it on one side so they can get away from the heat of they need to, I have them inside the house and I plan to keep them in until they are 6 weeks old, they are almost 2 weeks old now. I keep them in my room with the door closed as I have 3 cats. I'll have to trim their flight feathers when I move them outside so they can't get out of my yard should I trim one side only or both? My brick fence around my yard is 6ft. I want to ensure they stay in my yard.

That's a good idea to get a different bulb I do have it on one side so they can get away from the heat of they need to, I have them inside the house and I plan to keep them in until they are 6 weeks old, they are almost 2 weeks old now. I keep them in my room with the door closed as I have 3 cats. I'll have to trim their flight feathers when I move them outside so they can't get out of my yard should I trim one side only or both? My brick fence around my yard is 6ft. I want to ensure they stay in my yard.
my chickens have never gotten out of my 6 ft backyard with no trimmed wing

my chickens have never gotten out of my 6 ft backyard with no trimmed wing

X2. With the exception of the jungle fowl. They definitely can fly. I don't think she has any birds that could fly.

Last edited:
Yes I know but blackhead is not everywhere. Some places have a hard time with it, others don't. I don't keep mine in the same pens. Been raising both chickens and turkeys since 2008, never had it here.
had it here in 1992... I have friends that raise both. An old man who was a good friend was surprised it did not wipe me out
Better safe than sorry has been my way of doing things for a long time now. Hope you never see a bad case of it

Back
Top Bottom