Arizona Chickens

Next set of questions....
1) I know dried corn in the feed is not good during the summer.... What about fresh corn? My hens love working on ears of corn.
2) If my broody hen sits on the eggs the other hens are laying all day... are they still good?
3) I'm still looking for fertile Maran eggs for her to hatch.... :he
:frow
thanks Beth
I miss the chicken gifs that used to be available...

1. I avoid corn and scratch all summer, they tend to make the girls hotter.
2. I think so but I haven't had that issue yet so I respectfully defer.
3. Can't help there. I have a maran mix but my roo's not old enough to breed so no one's laying fertile eggs at my house except the bresse (who are confined together)

1) I know dried corn in the feed is not good during the summer.... What about fresh corn? My hens love working on ears of corn.
2) If my broody hen sits on the eggs the other hens are laying all day... are they still good?
thanks Beth
I can tackle your first 2 questions.
It is not true that corn is bad during summer. You can search out articles that confirm that. What is BAD about corn is its lack of sufficient protein. Need protein for good diet. Egg production as well. Many peeps give additional corn to their chickens in colder climates. The carbohydrates tend to produce body heat quicker. Carbohydrates do not make you overheat in summer to any significant amount.
Your eggs being kept warm by your broody are just fine. Now if your eggs are fertile and you left them under broody for a few days...... That is a different story.

thanks Beth

1= I still throw some of the scratch out for mine that has the cracked corn, wheat, and millet in it. I also give the layer crumbles. They eat what they want to. Sometimes I take out a bowl and a spoon to put some of the layer feed into, and stir in some water to wet it up a bit. They really seem to like that, and it does help to get a bit more water into them when it's hot.

2.= Sometimes a broody hen will not even get off the nest at night. If you want those eggs, you will have to take them from her. I use a paint stick to ease her up off of the eggs and/or to help get her out of the nest. When you take the eggs, she will go back to it, even with the nest now empty.

3= I only have my Australorps, so I can't help you with Maran eggs.

1. I avoid corn and scratch all summer, they tend to make the girls hotter.
2. I think so but I haven't had that issue yet so I respectfully defer.
3. Can't help there. I have a maran mix but my roo's not old enough to breed so no one's laying fertile eggs at my house except the bresse (who are confined together)

1. Scratch is bird candy. No Calcium in the seed for the layers, but they love it. Just give it as a treat, to reward them for coming inside at night, for example. Too much will get you egg laying problems, such as an egg that will not come out causing prolapse, or cause them to be too fat. Too fat would be bad in the heat of the desert, they could over heat.

6 BIRDS FOR FREE RE-HOME (recap)

Hello everyone!!!

I have a bit of sad news for myself, but honestly good news for others.

I need to reduce my flock size. I can keep 4 birds, I have chosen which.

My other 6, all hens under the age of 4, are going to need re homing. I live in Vail, and can drive into town to drop off as far as Tucson Mall.

I currently have

Finn (Barred Rock Hen, 2 years. Molting)
Quinn (Barred Rock Hen, 2 years. In Tact Feathers)
Reba (Gold Laced Wyandotte Hen, 2 years. Molting)
Gladys (Easter Egger Hen, 1.5 years, New Feathers)
Go Pro (Barred Rock Hen, 3.5 yeas, Molting)
Winnifred ( Silver Laced Wyandotte, 1 year, Molting)

ALL BIRDS HAVE BEEN TREATED FOR MITES THIS SUMMER.
None of them have any remaining symptoms, aside from missing feathers .

please text me or PM me if you have any questions!!! (I answer texts before I answer calls, as my phone does not identify caller ID's that are not contacts)

Hello everyone!!!

My other 6, all hens under the age of 4, are going to need re homing. I live in Vail, and can drive into town to drop off as far as Tucson Mall.

I currently have

None of them have any remaining symptoms, aside from missing feathers . HI
again my friend JEFF here in Bisbee wants your hens:celebrate he will give them a good home & will meet you in Tucson were ever you say.!:yesss: this is his phone number in Bisbee AZ. so can you give him a call he is home right now , i just talked to him,and he cant wait..!:wee (( 520- 432-2757 )) plus you can PM me if you need to no problem , im so happy for you all i know your hens will live happily ever after..!:highfive: in a nice home in Bisbee .:thumbsup

Hello everyone!!!

Hello everyone!!!

I currently have

please text me or PM me if you have any questions!!! (I answer texts before I answer calls, as my phone does not identify caller ID's that are not contacts)

I currently have

hi again, my friend JEFF in Bisbee will take your hens & give them a good home , this is his phone number ( 520- 432-2757 ) call him asap he will meet you in Tuscon were ever you say , you can also pm me any time , so glad for you all as your hens will live happily ever after in a good forever home Bisbee..!so no worries ..!!!

Back
Top Bottom