Arizona Chickens

Sad news... I talked to the lady that has the Aloha NN's, and showed her the pics of the 2 NN's I got a hold of. The lady said that the coloring of these 2 plus the mixture that they are will not work in breeding to the one's that she has. I think I had better listen to her, because I do want to do the Aloha colored ones. So, I will sell these 2 off, if anyone want's them.

These are the 2 that are now up for sale for $10.00 each. They are both 8 months old. One is supposed to be a NN/Americauna mix (a blue egg gene), and the other one a NN/EE mix.

View attachment 1173681 View attachment 1173682
They look really nice! If you're not in a big hurry I could trade. I have this boy, but have been asked to breed him and send out the hatching eggs, and the girls I'm breeding him with are just barely at point of lay right now.
IMG_20171018_110713.jpg

Problem is he's mottled and I think Aloha's are Mille Fleur? I've been told you can cross him with red columbian(like the hen in your second picture) hens which would put his mottled genes in the offspring, then cross those pullets back to him to get an Aloha look. I have a couple little pullets from last months hatch that look like they may be mottled too, but won't know for sure for probably a couple months.

I also have this pretty boy from the August hatch that is exactly what you would need. I have been hemhawing about whether I want to keep him or not. He's gorgeous, but I'm not going for that look in any of my projects.
1023171719.jpg

He is a little too red, but closer. I THINK what you would have to do is cross him with maybe some buff orpingons, then cross any NN pullets from that breeding back to him to get what you want. You can run that by her and see what she thinks.

My splash NN, Monroe, finally cooperated with my efforts to photograph him, so I thought I'd share some with you guys. He's one of the sweetest, most affectionate of my boys and demands hugs throughout the day. When I feed the boys in the morning he gulps down two mouthfuls of food and then runs to me to be picked up and snuggled. I LOVE his coloring and personality and plan to keep him around as long as possible for those reasons alone for my egg laying line. He's also a carrier of the blue egg gene from his EE mother.

View attachment 1173694
View attachment 1173692
View attachment 1173693
Oh my goodness, he is gorgeous!!!

@DesertChic - he is a beauty for sure. I truly love his toupee!!

LOL! It's funny, isn't it? His mom is my blue EE, and although she's smoothed-feathered, all of my EE carry the frizzle gene. I have four NN/EE hens that also have those tufts of feathers sticking up on their heads. Somehow it looks almost demure on the girls...and just a little silly on the boys.

I agree with the others here regarding the molting behavior....but is she's NOT molting then I would examine her sides under her wings for injuries from mating. Some of my girls have been badly sliced by rooster spurs, but hide the injuries under their wing tips. Either way, giving her a "rooster-free" area sounds much needed and much appreciated.

Totally agree about the possibility for injury. Some of my roosters have badly injured their hens while mating. Most of my roosters manage to mate without injuring anybody. Some have issues. The injuries were well hidden under the hens' wings and I didn't notice them until I picked the girls up and looked.

I've also had roosters that the hens did not like. The hens would always run from those roosters, for no apparent reason. I don't keep those roosters any more. The hens have to like him or the rooster winds up in the crock pot. I do allow the cockerels some time to figure out how to behave. Some learn quickly. Some don't. The slow-to-learn ones get eaten.

This flock management strategy has slowed down my progress in terms of show-worthy birds, but it makes chicken-keeping a lot more pleasant.

Totally agree about the possibility for injury. Some of my roosters have badly injured their hens while mating. Most of my roosters manage to mate without injuring anybody. Some have issues. The injuries were well hidden under the hens' wings and I didn't notice them until I picked the girls up and looked.

I've also had roosters that the hens did not like. The hens would always run from those roosters, for no apparent reason. I don't keep those roosters any more. The hens have to like him or the rooster winds up in the crock pot. I do allow the cockerels some time to figure out how to behave. Some learn quickly. Some don't. The slow-to-learn ones get eaten.

This flock management strategy has slowed down my progress in terms of show-worthy birds, but it makes chicken-keeping a lot more pleasant.

My rooster, Tank, is so dumb he can't find the open door to his coop to get out without guidance, and the first time he introduced himself to my pullets they ganged up on him and beat the snot out of him. It was HILARIOUS! Today, however, I was happy to see that he'd properly wooed one of the girls and she squatted for him...and he managed to seal the deal. I swear he actually struts now. :lau

They look really nice! If you're not in a big hurry I could trade. I have this boy, but have been asked to breed him and send out the hatching eggs, and the girls I'm breeding him with are just barely at point of lay right now. View attachment 1173930
Problem is he's mottled and I think Aloha's are Mille Fleur? I've been told you can cross him with red columbian(like the hen in your second picture) hens which would put his mottled genes in the offspring, then cross those pullets back to him to get an Aloha look. I have a couple little pullets from last months hatch that look like they may be mottled too, but won't know for sure for probably a couple months.

I also have this pretty boy from the August hatch that is exactly what you would need. I have been hemhawing about whether I want to keep him or not. He's gorgeous, but I'm not going for that look in any of my projects.View attachment 1173932

He is a little too red, but closer. I THINK what you would have to do is cross him with maybe some buff orpingons, then cross any NN pullets from that breeding back to him to get what you want. You can run that by her and see what she thinks.

I would take that younger boy if you don't want him. He could be bred with the ones that I get from her that end up being too light in color. Want to trade him for my my NN pair? The Rooster has a blue eggs gene, and the hen laid a green egg today.

Last edited:
I would take that younger boy if you don't want him. He could be bred with the ones that I get from her that end up being too light in color. Want to trade him for my my NN pair? The Rooster has a blue eggs gene, and the hen laid a green egg today.
Honestly, I think you can make that hen work, but if you don't want her I can take her. They are both gorgeous birds. I sat down with my lastest hatch today and it turns out I may have one more mottled pullet, but she's fully feathered. It's just starting to show up now. I thought she was just going to be a red columbian. If you don't mind sitting on those two for a little while, I may be able to bring you both. I don't know when I'll have the next chance to go to the valley, so don't know how long it will be.
IMG_20171030_154459.jpg

Back
Top Bottom