Arizona Chickens

I'm in AJ....not too far from you and I'm a new chicken mommy, too!

A

It look's like you are pretty new here to this site, so I would like to welcome you! You are in the right thread for us AZ. people. You mentioned being a new chicken mommy. Did you just get some chicks? What breed or breed's are they?

Thank you, BlueBaby,
I am a new chicken mommy!
They are about 3 1/2 weeks old. I was told they're Ameracauna's, however, after doing some reading, I think they're a mix breed, which really doesn't bother me, as I wanted chickens for eggs, not to show.
We've been picking them up every day, "petting" them, really just trying to make sure they're used to being handled by humans.
I've attached a picture of one of them ☺.

Attachments

• KIMG12611.jpg
    KIMG12611.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 6
Thank you, BlueBaby,
I am a new chicken mommy!
They are about 3 1/2 weeks old. I was told they're Ameracauna's, however, after doing some reading, I think they're a mix breed, which really doesn't bother me, as I wanted chickens for eggs, not to show.
We've been picking them up every day, "petting" them, really just trying to make sure they're used to being handled by humans.
I've attached a picture of one of them ☺.

Mixed chickens are good for some. People have chickens for different reason's sometime. As long as you are happy with what you have and enjoy them is what really matter's! :)

Over half my flock is mixed breed!! If you aren't planning to show then it really only matters that you like your birds.
Ya, I think Ameraucanas are supposed to have those tufted cheeks and that one you pictured doesn't have that. They could technically be Easter Eggers, which means you could get a variety of fun egg colors!
So far, I LOVE my baby chickens!! I'm having fun with them, I just want them to stay safe, healthy and keep growing.

I'm in AJ....not too far from you and I'm a new chicken mommy, too!

A
:goodpost::thumbsup:highfive::frow welcome ,its so nice to have you join us...!!!!:welcome:woot all depending on what area you live in, In AZ im in bisbee a mile hi into the mountains and its a bit cooler here, not to hot not to cold & near the Mexican border , maybe ask for any one in our group that is close to your area , they would probably have the best advice for you ....!!!!:welcome:jumpy:highfive::thumbsup!:highfive::thumbsup:highfive::frow

Just curious, did you get your Java's from Dan Pennington? I saw a pair of his at the show last weekend and his wife says he's been breeding them for years. I had a hard time telling the difference between them and Australorps, but I'm not all that knowledgeable about knowing the difference anyhoo...

I got my original Black Javas as a shipment of chicks from Duane Urch in Minnesota. Was doing well with them until some neighborhood dogs broke into my yard and killed half my flock. Of course, they killed the most promising birds in terms of breed standard. It destroyed my breeding program.

Dan Pennington has some good Javas so I bought a few birds from him and mixed them into my Urch line to replenish my stock. That turned out to be a bad move. It brought out all of the weird recessed genetics in both lines and now I am looking at a hot mess, with virtually no birds coming close enough to Black Java standard to breed. (There is a reason the old-time poultry guys tell you not to mix lines. This is why.) I don't think I can straighten out the mess in my lifetime. They are great backyard birds and I love them. I just won't be showing them in the foreseeable future.

Javas need a lot of work. The reason you couldn't tell them from Australorps is because the Javas you are seeing don't truly conform to standard, and they have a lot of Australorp characteristics they shouldn't have. Some of the main differences should be:

Backlines. Java roosters should have backlines that slope down toward the tail, and then there should be a sweeping curve upward where the tail connects with the back. Australorp backs should "break" in the middle, so the backline begins to rise again as it approaches the base of the tail. Many of the local "Javas" have the wrong backline. Their backs look like Australorp backs.

Sole color. Black Javas must have yellow soles. Lack of yellow in the sole is a disqualification for Black Javas. Australorps have white soles. Yellow soles are tricky because the yellow can fade over time. Diet, age, and laying condition can affect the amount of yellow that shows in the sole. A yellow-soled Java chick can grow into an adult that looks like it has white soles, even though it has the genetics for yellow. Poultry judges tend to give the benefit of the doubt if the sole color is not obvious. So a Java with soles that look white (but may not be) is not disqualified, even though the incorrect sole color makes them look more like Australorps.

Javas need a lot of work, because the breed went virtually extinct at one point. Most of the "Javas" around today have Australorp and other breeds mixed in.

A few years ago several of us local Java breeders were conferring with a poultry judge after a show. He pointed out that most of our birds would show better as Australorps. It was harsh criticism, but he was right.

I didn't go to that recent show so I can't comment on the Javas that were in it. But don't feel bad if you couldn't tell the difference between those Javas and the Australorps. There was probably a good reason why you couldn't.

So it's pitch black at 650 in the morning I'm sitting here listening to all my girls cry I know they are safe, except from snakes but they are in hibernation so is this a common thing where one gets going and they all sit there yelling? They aren't trapped in the coop they have free access to get out maybe they are just tired of waiting for the sun to come.... lol

You could have had a hawk or an owl around. I have a couple of Coopers Hawks that come in to drink from the pond. The chickens let me know when they are there. One of the roosters will give the aerial predator alarm call, then all of the girls will start fussing until the hawk finally leaves.

Back
Top Bottom