Arizona Chickens

gckiddhouse

Songster
11 Years
Dec 9, 2008
Desert Hills, AZ
Quote:
I have a Wheaten roo from Mahonri's eggs. He is going to have to go anyway, so it is either the soup pot or your house. He isn't showing his colors yet, but I think he will be pretty. Not SQ, though.

CheerfulHeart2

Creative Problem Solver
11 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Again Everyone,

After doing my post last night a read a couple...just a couple of pages.

Nessa: Wow. Wow. Your leaving.
sad.png
Still, I am most happy for you. You sound very peaceful. My move from UT to AZ felt that way. It was hard to leave, but I knew it was right. I still do....and being near family is a good thing. I am so happy you have a home for your dear feathered family members.

Mohonri: Thank you for the prompt replies. The pictures were helpful too. Thank you for that extra effort. Now to gear up for good-byes. Do you think the production red roo would be good for breeding good egg laying birds down the road? I never really wanted a production red....I do have a favorite roo. He is blue and copper in color. I'll have to post a picture and get your professional thoughts on him. I like him. He's fun.

Surehatch: I went to grade school in Statesboro GA.
smile.png

Tucson Tofu: If I got it right, you have a broody raising chicks. Enjoy!

Muscovy Ducks: My dad lives in Tucson. He keeps telling me I need ducks. I saw the post about the Muscovy Ducks available there. Dad asked what a Muscovy was...I only came up with quiet duck. Smirk. I am sure I have looked them up. I guess we can't hold everything in our head all the time.

maggiemooscluckers

Songster
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
Apache Junction, Arizona
I need advice from my chicken friends in Mesa and surrounding areas. I have 18 slow broilers that were 2 weeks old yesterday. They are partially feathered. Especially on their wings and tail. They have been in the brooder in the living room for the first two weeks but enough is enough. I have a coop and a run out back that is calling their name. Do you think that it will be alright to go ahead and put them outside in the coop and run since the weather is beginning to break. (supposed to be only 95 tomorrow) The run is completely enclosed with hardware cloth. I could run a heat lamp at night if need be. I am really more concerned that it may be too hot. They will be under a tree so they will have plenty of shade. Please let me know soon. The poop is beginning to get to me! Thanks

CheerfulHeart2

Creative Problem Solver
11 Years
Apr 8, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
They need that shade the WHOLE day. If at any part of the day they don't have shade, that could be a big problem. My birds have the run of the yard and are outside all day...except if in the broody breaker box.

maggiemooscluckers

Songster
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
Apache Junction, Arizona
Quote:
Thanks, I will add some tarp over some of the run so they will have no excuse to be in the sun. I will probably lock them into the coop at least for a few nights with the lamp. That way I can govern the early morning sun and the night time temps. Thanks again for the speedy reply.

ArizonaNessa

Joyfully Addicted
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Texas
For anyone that was interested in my brooders, I have reconsidered my prices. They are now 30 dollars each or ALL THREE BROODERS INCLUDING ISO PEN for 100 cash. I also have several five gallon bucket feeders for 10 dollars each and I will make a deal if you take all. The big aviary is still up for sale as well for 400 dollars. It is metal and approx. 50X17X7. PM me if you have questions. I really need this stuff to go. Thanks.

In case you are wondering, yes I have the brooders listed on CL.
smile.png

Last edited:

beverlyl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 28, 2009
Morristown Arizona
Ok so I posted pictures on the what are we board and I was told two females and two males, so I guess I dont need a rooster:( I really wanted more hens. I guess that I will have to wait till I can get more eggs.

NoSkiveez

NoSkiveez Poultry
10 Years
Dec 27, 2009
Casa Grande
My Coop
My Coop
Quote:
I just kicked some youngins out too. I moved the from my kitchen to an enclosed porch. Mine are 1 week and two weeks old. They were okay today but I think I might put the heat lamp on before I go to bed.

Mahonri

Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast
Premium Feather Member
May 14, 2008
North Phoenix
My Coop
My Coop
For the first person to PM me. Hatching eggs.

Free of charge. For a test hatch.

11 Marans eggs.
1 Polish egg (one laid today)
3 W/BW Ameraucana eggs
and whatever I get tomorrow.

Only requirement is that you come pic them up and incubate them soon and post pics of the babies here in three weeks.

For Tucson Tofu, she only got 7 of 18 eggs to hatch but some were under the broody where it was real hot

We should have hatching info from no skivees this weekend.

maggiemooscluckers

Songster
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
Apache Junction, Arizona
Quote:
I just kicked some youngins out too. I moved the from my kitchen to an enclosed porch. Mine are 1 week and two weeks old. They were okay today but I think I might put the heat lamp on before I go to bed.

I also put the heat lamp in the coop last night. This a.m. when I went out to check they were all sleeping comfortably scattered all around. Now I have pushed them out into the covered run and they are having a great time eating the grit and just enjoying being chickens in the great outdoors! As long as it doesn't get too hot in the next few weeks I think I will be okay. Got some milk jugs freezing in the freezer just in case.

Top Bottom