Arizona Chickens

I've been doing wood shavings, simply because the bags they have at TSC are cheap. But they do kick it out alot and I have to keep adding more. I'm thinking of cutting some outdoor carpeting to set in the bottoms of the nest boxes in addition to the wood chips. They have those cheap doormats at Home Despot for less than $3 each that I've cut up for other projects. I don't mind using them until they're trashed then cutting up more at that price.

Lol, I use straw and shavings for their boxes, but they also kick most of it out. Eggs end up getting cracked when they hit the plywood underneath. Like the outdoor carpet idea, i was running with using 2 layers of 1/8 rubber under the nests.

I have caged her before, and it does help, but only temporarily. I am going to set up chicken jail tomorrow for her, just to give the barnevelder a break. If I can't get these peepers put in the barred rock again, I may have to rehome her to a neighbor. I really don't want to do that. It's my absolute last resort and it breaks my heart a little to even think about it because this is my first flock that I've raised by hand from day one. They are only 9 months old, could she grow out of this behavior? Or is that just me having high hopes?...the dynamic between these two seems solidified and it's not good.

Sometimes you just have to do the best thing or way to keep peace in the flock.

I have caged her before, and it does help, but only temporarily. I am going to set up chicken jail tomorrow for her, just to give the barnevelder a break. If I can't get these peepers put in the barred rock again, I may have to rehome her to a neighbor. I really don't want to do that. It's my absolute last resort and it breaks my heart a little to even think about it because this is my first flock that I've raised by hand from day one. They are only 9 months old, could she grow out of this behavior? Or is that just me having high hopes?...the dynamic between these two seems solidified and it's not good.

I get you, you may consider the permanent jail, like my China who lives separate but shares a fence line with them so she's not lonely. Behaviour can change like my punky and Goldie Goldie for 1 year was the lowest in the order and punky the highest. Goldie got tired of being so low and noticed punky was weak and stood up to her now Goldie bullies the top hen, but otherwise is still on the bottom bc everyone still thinks of punky as number one

Anyhow punky stayed in her daytime solitary for four months before she felt ready to join in again...keeping yours a bit separate for a long period might help I think

Anyone know where to find a baby burro to purchase in az? Would like to expand the homestead with a baby donkey!
I wish I did. That is on my wish list too! I sometimes see them on Craigslist also. I'm thinking when i do get, I might go to the BLM auction in Nevada. We have wild ones out here i see occasionally. Usually by Lake Havasu. We sometimes go to Oatman to see them too. Every time someone comes to visit I take them there to get my burro fix!

I wish I did. That is on my wish list too! I sometimes see them on Craigslist also. I'm thinking when i do get, I might go to the BLM auction in Nevada. We have wild ones out here i see occasionally. Usually by Lake Havasu. We sometimes go to Oatman to see them too. Every time someone comes to visit I take them there to get my burro fix!
Can you capture one and bring home???

Can you capture one and bring home???
They're protected here... which is stupid because they're an introduced species... but the state considers them a historical heritage thingy whatever because they're left over from the pioneering gold miners from 200-300 years ago.... You have to wait until the government catches up the extras and auctions them off.

Update:

2DA25654-FB0C-4D23-8AC4-096EAC11FACA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom