Arizona Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by paynemom, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Btruax

Btruax Chirping

Sep 22, 2017
    That is a good point, in the event of all day use, but its not really necessary, just short times during the peak heat hours. But you do make a good point about the "enveloping" of the heat due to the moisture content. As of now, I only mist my girls when they just start to show signs of heat stress, and only long enough to feel the coop temps drop. They do have huge stainless dog water dishes for pools, and I freeze water bottles during the summer to put in their waterers. Lol Im a germophobe sort of, wrong hobby for that I know so my girls only get the pools, no mud holes.

Jadesun6 likes this.
  2. Jadesun6

Jadesun6 Songster

Apr 20, 2017
    Yucca, Arizona
    That is for sure. Now my husband asks almost everyday how many eggs were layed that day. Funny how his attitude changed! When I take eggs to my parents my mom wants to know how many blue eggs I brought. Her favorite color is blue, so I save her as many as I can. Her excitment level has changed too, now she knows chickens can lay blue eggs!!

3. Jadesun6

Jadesun6 Songster

Apr 20, 2017
    Yucca, Arizona
    My husband's friend told us he has an incubator he was going to give us. I was pretty excited. I was hoping it was a diamond in the rough since he didn't know anything about it. My husband brought it home yesterday. Here it is. 15219259988071128355209.jpg
    15219260248061574787900.jpg
    Not exactly what I was expecting!

cactusrota likes this.
  4. MagicChicken

MagicChicken Songster

Apr 8, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    I wonder if the habitual egg-eaters need the extra protein for some reason. If one of my birds breaks an egg in the nest box the chickens will usually eat it, and they don't go on to become habitual egg-eaters. But every once in a while I'll have one bird who seems to be breaking and eating them on purpose. It's a mystery.

cavemanrich and Jadesun6 like this.
  5. Jnners

Jnners In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2018
    Hello! Our family is new backyard chickens and we purchased 6 ‘hens’ a few months ago. Turns out that one is a white silkie rooster (roughly 4 months old) and we will be unable to keep it in our neighborhood due to the noise. Is there anyone who would be interested in a free silkie rooster?

6. Heh, You beat me to it. :)

Jadesun6 likes this.
  7. cactusrota

cactusrota Crowing

Nov 17, 2014
    Fort Thomas, AZ
    Wow! That's crazy. I saw one posted the other day in a fb group that looked like a popcorn machine, literally. I don't know that I'd use one that doesn't have a viewing window.. :hmm

Jadesun6 likes this.
  8. nicollee

nicollee Songster

Aug 29, 2015
    Tempe, Arizona
    If the thermostat works it might be ok, BUT I suggest testing for at least a week to see if it will maintain temperature... Speaking from experience, it is heartbreaking to find out after you put your eggs in it that it will not maintain temperature properly . We tested for 24 hours, and it seemed to be ok, but after putting the eggs in found wild temperature swings from 90-110, SOOO SAD

Jadesun6 likes this.
  9. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Crossing the Road Barefoot

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    What kind of trees did you plant? We added a Chilean mesquite to the back yard this Spring and we are building an enclosed garden this weekend that will also give the girls afternoon shade in Summer. Adding a mister too this year.

BlueBaby, meetthebubus and Jadesun6 like this.
  10. lins girrls

lins girrls Chirping

Mar 12, 2018
    sorry that, that happened. I do free range but out here they are safe from that kind of thing. All of our neighbors watch for anyone not familiar and show up at each others houses to see who the intruders are

FeatherPugs and Jadesun6 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: