Arizona Chickens

hope you all don't get tired of seeing my pretty babies.. #proudchickiemama
this is pollyanna she's blonde and black (augie is on the right)
042.JPG

pollyanna again, with either cheeta, brownie, or mocha they all look alike and i can't tell with her in this position lol
073.JPG

What time of day are you pulling eggs? I've learned to wait until sunset or right before they start filing in to roost for the night, because they will lay at all times of the day. A broody hen will sit hard on the eggs, and if you reach under her to get them she may growl and might even peck at you. One that's just laying an egg, but hasn't gone broody, might get flinchy and jump off the nest if you reach in.
We were pulling in the morning to start, but noticed they would lay more, now we go out about 3 or 4 pm and pull them. Thank you for that info

@Btruax Take the eggs out if you have no one actively setting. They'll just get broken. WHEN you do have a broody you need to mark the eggs with a pencil/marker so you know which are broody eggs for hatching. The other hens will lay in the nest. You don't want to leave them there. Also make sure the broody is where you want them to be to hatch babies. Safe, out of wind, rain, etc..etc. They aren't crying - they are just talking to you telling you how much work it was to get this egg to you. A broody hen sits on those eggs almost 24/7 - just a bit to eat, poop and drink - then back to the eggs. BTW where in CG are you? I'm off Hanna Road between 11 Mile Corner Road and Estrella.
Lol we are off of toltec buttes and cornman rd, just up from the AZ Hay Co

I have a question about eggs and the heat (though, I have awhile before it’s an issue!): do you try to collect eggs often so they’re not out in the 100°+ temperatures, or does it even matter?

At first I collected as soon as the egg dropped (j/k) now I do it at the end of the day.
You may want to leave them for other hens to follow suit in laying, I think the special coating keeps them safe, and the dark place of the nest keeps them cooler than outside Temps

Consider the fact that the chickens interior body temperature is about 107*F. The eggs do not come out cooked at that. The only reason peeps do sometimes like to show off cooking eggs on the street,,,,,,, The surface does accumulate heat that is above that of air temperature. Just think how it is impossible (or at least discomforting) to walk across the street surface in the summer time barefoot. Having shoes on makes it no problem. Your shoes do not contain a cooling contraption. Temp of shoes is same as air temp, if outside for a while.
Your eggs laid in a nest in the shade of coop will not cook.

I have a question about eggs and the heat (though, I have awhile before it’s an issue!): do you try to collect eggs often so they’re not out in the 100°+ temperatures, or does it even matter?

I guess I'm the dissenter in the group. Yes, I collect more frequently in the summer heat. When the temps are cooler I typically collect at least twice per day, and during the summer I'll collect more frequently as I also spend more time checking on the birds to make sure I'm meeting their needs to keep from overheating. I guess the two tasks just go hand-in-hand for me since I'm out there anyway.

Back
Top Bottom