Arizona Chickens

I've dug through the archives and finding it impossible to find answers to my question.. since this is AZ, we have major heat, do you guys move your broodies? I can move her to her own coop with her own run, but then I don't know how that will affect her being away from her flock mates. if I put her low inside the coop where she is now, I have the danger of others getting in her nest box and breaking the eggs, "can you tell I am a worry wort nervous chicken owner?" :gig:lau
I give moistened food at first, but eventually they need water. If I feed the rest of the flock outside of the coop when I let the broody out with her babies for the first time, then they give her some space. Only problem is sometimes the broody will fend the hens away from the coop and they have a problem getting in to lay eggs... haha! But then the broody does eventually lead the babies outside the coop and the hens can get to the nests.
20190523_093847.jpg
20190524_150248.jpg

I've dug through the archives and finding it impossible to find answers to my question.. since this is AZ, we have major heat, do you guys move your broodies? I can move her to her own coop with her own run, but then I don't know how that will affect her being away from her flock mates. if I put her low inside the coop where she is now, I have the danger of others getting in her nest box and breaking the eggs, "can you tell I am a worry wort nervous chicken owner?" :gig:lau

I didn't move mine at all. She chose the top nesting box and stayed there. The key for me was allowing them to acclimate to the heat. We never did the misters, fans or AC. We never lost one to the heat.

Plenty of air flow is crucial, though. I always put a solar exhaust fan in the coop. The one I just ordered today for my new coop is designed for a 700 square foot attic, so there will be plenty of air exchange. It also keeps the moisture inside the coop to a minimum, which decreases illnesses and parasites, too.

Just leave her alone to do her thing.

Thanks for the welcome back everyone. I don't know what needs they are. I'm not even sure if they are heritage or hatchery stick. From eight hens, they consistently get 6-8 medium to large eggs a day. It's a start and my wife has been itching for animals. Chickens, rabbits and a golden retriever.

Home Depot had a bunch of deformed studs on their cull cart yesterday, so I picked up everything for the run at 70% off! I build houses for a living, including siding, so the coop will be mostly free. It'll be a lot more elaborate, though.

I planted some foraging blend last night in a section of the new run and I'll make the chicken wire box to go over the section until it is growing will. They can get to the great, but not the seeds and roots. Eventually, the box will be shifted down for the next area of planting. TSC actually had some in stock, although I bought a Southwest blend specifically for Arizona, also. That's being delivered tomorrow.

I'm starting the fermented feed and mealworm farm, too. My last flock did so well with those. And water nipples, of course.

It's a very full weekend, but at least it's a three-day one to get going.

Thanks for the welcome back everyone. I don't know what needs they are. I'm not even sure if they are heritage or hatchery stick. From eight hens, they consistently get 6-8 medium to large eggs a day. It's a start and my wife has been itching for animals. Chickens, rabbits and a golden retriever.

Home Depot had a bunch of deformed studs on their cull cart yesterday, so I picked up everything for the run at 70% off! I build houses for a living, including siding, so the coop will be mostly free. It'll be a lot more elaborate, though.

I planted some foraging blend last night in a section of the new run and I'll make the chicken wire box to go over the section until it is growing will. They can get to the great, but not the seeds and roots. Eventually, the box will be shifted down for the next area of planting. TSC actually had some in stock, although I bought a Southwest blend specifically for Arizona, also. That's being delivered tomorrow.

I'm starting the fermented feed and mealworm farm, too. My last flock did so well with those. And water nipples, of course.

I bet it would be interesting to see your idea's for this when you get it done!

Stunts is looking better today! I honestly did not expect her to make it through the night. This morning she is walking and EATING! I cuddled her yesterday and she has lost a lot of weight. Crop feels fine but something is definitely going on. I’m hoping she pulls through and regains her strength. So far she appears to be off to a decent start today :rolleyes: We are installing the misters later today so that will be nice for them. Have a good weekend everyone!

Stunts is looking better today! I honestly did not expect her to make it through the night. This morning she is walking and EATING! I cuddled her yesterday and she has lost a lot of weight. Crop feels fine but something is definitely going on. I’m hoping she pulls through and regains her strength. So far she appears to be off to a decent start today :rolleyes: We are installing the misters later today so that will be nice for them. Have a good weekend everyone!

I'm glad that she seem's to be better. I hope that you can get it figured out. Just keep an eye on her.

I didn't move mine at all. She chose the top nesting box and stayed there. The key for me was allowing them to acclimate to the heat. We never did the misters, fans or AC. We never lost one to the heat.

Plenty of air flow is crucial, though. I always put a solar exhaust fan in the coop. The one I just ordered today for my new coop is designed for a 700 square foot attic, so there will be plenty of air exchange. It also keeps the moisture inside the coop to a minimum, which decreases illnesses and parasites, too.

Just leave her alone to do her thing.
This last broody was in a higher nest box, around 3 feet up I think. I left her there until the first chick was out, then moved her and all the eggs and chicks into the crate on the floor... making sure to keep all the eggs in the same position with the same side up. She wasn't upset at all about the move because I always make sure my broodies see me as an ally. I give them food and water while they sit so they don't have to leave the nest for it, and check under them for broken eggs and such regularly. By the time the chicks come along they trust me with their chicks more than they do their flockmates.

I love the cull cart at Home Despot! I built a 3'x4' brooder/grow out for chicks out of mostly cull stuff and scrap for really cheap.
Sounds like your biddies are gonna be all kinds of spoiled!

Hey Dem - you know eons ago I stole the wire cage over the grass/foraging blends. I've got a couple of raised garden beds that my DH used to use when he was more mobile. Now I have "FINALLY", I hope got the right combo for keeping the cages in place. I've used 2x3s with welded wire over. I've got fescue grass and bermuda grasses growing well so soon the big covers come off!! Yep took me this long to work out a system that worked!!
@cactusrota I do the same thing when I'm letting girls do the work but I transfer them a bit earlier - about day 20. I don't get hassled either as I also do food and water. I also use a x-pen type thing so they have a few days of no hassles from the other hens. Then as momma tells me she's ready I open the pen. She still has a place to run too. Works for me. All is well here - no wind so trying to do some catch-up! I really need to scrub nest boxes, etc but by the time afternoon gets here I'm bushed - gotta work that through!!

Back
Top Bottom