Arizona Chickens

Moon Baby already has figured it out. She flies from her swing to the top of her coop and then hangs upside down, which scares me, so I run over and open the coop! Which then allows her escape (she wants to sit on the top of the opened coop door). I thought chickens weren't supposed to go upside down or they'd faint?? Minnie Mouse just stares at me when she wants out.

Knew you couldn't hold out..lol.. I'm already planning my next round.
:lau:highfive:
But I'm also thinking what to fill it with.. maybe sand? So it doesn't go airborne? They are going to permanently live in my family room (I know, I know 🤣)
Dirt from your yard. My flock had a choice and always snubbed sand. Plus, it's free.

Hi friends! Just joined BYC after lurking for a while :) I live in Sedona Arizona with my family and we just bought our first house 3 months ago so we can finally have chickens! (Even though it coincides with all the covid stuff I promise we were planning on homesteading long before all this craziness! 😂) I am in the process of building a coop and hoping to learn more about different breeds of chickens that do well in this northern Arizona weather. You can check out my intro post to learn more about me :) but I’d love to learn from more experienced people about which breeds work best and why! We are looking for medium to large hens who have good output and are docile enough to have around my kids and any neighborhood kids who might wander over. Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Welcome to the gang! Turkens and Australorps are my suggestion.
Will the pellets work well for silkies and D'Uccles? I have a 50 lb bag of chick grower, should last until everyone is ready to switch to layer feed. (I assume once they are mature, even bantams go onto layer feed?)
Pellets are fine after 6 weeks but I would offer an all flock type unless you're not keeping a rooster.
@AngBantamLuv 16 weeks you can change to layer feed - doesn't matter the breed.
@SedonaMidwife Most Orpingtons come golden but they do come in lavender too - I lusted for one for a short time!! I also like to raise barred rocks and austrolorpes for the cooler areas.
Hey FP, good to see you! :hugs
Well, I got a new pullet egg out there today, so there's another one that's started to lay. I figured that she was going to soon, because I seen the rooster giving her his "affection's" the other day. @igorsMistress the pullet that layed it is Lacy's sister from the same hatch.
Good to know! I noticed last night Laceys comb is getting red and growing so it probably won't be long. She also hangs out around the nest boxes quite a bit lately.
No, its Arizona valley fever dirt. I water it down before I even work in it in the yard. 😂 but I might get some organic soil.. so far 2 votes for no sand, so I'll skip that.
It's a good way for your birds to build immunity and VF could be in all the dust you get in your house too, but ok. If you use potting soil get a cheap bag without moisture control, perlite isn't good for them to ingest.

No, its Arizona valley fever dirt. I water it down before I even work in it in the yard. 😂 but I might get some organic soil.. so far 2 votes for no sand, so I'll skip that.
I like peat moss for chicks bedding, but it is dusty when dry and they might dust bathe in it. Outside dirt has little things in it that are good for them, too. I think the Valley Fever is from inhaling too much in one of those big dust storms, but I am far from an expert on that!

Welcome to the gang! Turkens and Australorps are my suggestion.

Pellets are fine after 6 weeks but I would offer an all flock type unless you're not keeping a rooster.

Hey FP, good to see you! :hugs

Good to know! I noticed last night Laceys comb is getting red and growing so it probably won't be long. She also hangs out around the nest boxes quite a bit lately.

It's a good way for your birds to build immunity and VF could be in all the dust you get in your house too, but ok. If you use potting soil get a cheap bag without moisture control, perlite isn't good for them to ingest.
I do agree its everywhere, but a friend just put her dog down because of it, I suspect it caused my dogs death last year.. and they are indoor chickens. I just cant bring it intentionally into the house to go airborne. I'll double check the bag descriptions!

Anyone want a dark brahma Cockerel? All my neighbor's would be fine with a rooster except the one behind us, I'd imagine.

From what I have read up about that breed, they are good sized, docile, and pretty quiet. I hope that you find him a good home where he will not be eaten.

Well I've done it. I ordered 15 pullets from Hoovers, all are Chzech hybrid egg layers. Midnight majesty "marans", Sapphire gem, and Calico princess (5 each). I've had the sapphire before, and the midnight majesty appear to be the chzech DS109 dominant black, which are used in africa, and the calico princess (D459 dominant red barred) also are used in pakistan and bangladesh, so those are the least heat tolerant of the three. I'm hoping to sell 3 of each of those breeds, ending up with two of each to supplement my four andalusians (who are doing great in the heat so far but barely holding to their 280 eggs/year each). I'm not completely insane, I did measure an area inside my existing fully secured run and eyeballed the area between the run and my house. Hatch date is 9/15 so I'll have them 9/17. According to the weather underground I should have enough cooling by then to only have them in the bathtub a short while, which I'd do anyway since they're mail order.

Back
Top Bottom