Arizona Chickens

...try to keep coyotes away, we've got a mess of them that live in the hills not far from us and they pass by here on their way down into the valley. So I don't know, suggestions?
I have to inspect my husbands work on our coop to keep out 'Coyote Bob' that occasionally runs thru our property in Chino Valley. He buried hardware cloth a foot deep and there is metal roofing used as wall siding up about 2' - I think we'll have to put some hardware cloth above that since it is currently only chicken wire. I was just watching a video of (very fancy coop) Carolina Coops online and they didn't even bury the hardware cloth- it just was laid on the ground extended about 2 feet all around perimeter of coop/run area to deter diggers.

I have to inspect my husbands work on our coop to keep out 'Coyote Bob' that occasionally runs thru our property in Chino Valley. He buried hardware cloth a foot deep and there is metal roofing used as wall siding up about 2' - I think we'll have to put some hardware cloth above that since it is currently only chicken wire. I was just watching a video of (very fancy coop) Carolina Coops online and they didn't even bury the hardware cloth- it just was laid on the ground extended about 2 feet all around perimeter of coop/run area to deter diggers.
Funny, I just watched a Carolina Coops video yesterday. Super fancy!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I just got to thinking about this one place that has some long pallets you can get from time to time, thinking if I get a few of those and some regulars for scrap wood, I might be able to put something together and when it's not in use for broodies, it can hold my extra Roo's that I get from hatching my own..lol..

hello AZ. We're under a heat warning for the rest of the week, who's ready? I'm not I assure you! I'll be running the hose early and adding ice to the puddles this afternoon.

For those of you with rabbits, be careful as there's a virus in our state that's killing wild buns. It's only been found down near Tucson so far, but you know how things can travel these days. Here's a link to the news article
https://www.abc15.com/news/national...a-officials-say-it-is-not-related-to-covid-19

It was a little too hot for me to stand out there in the drive way to fry my egg's ;), so I boiled some up in the house. I'm going to crush them up shell and all to mix into some wet feed for the flock tomorrow.

It was a little too hot for me to stand out there in the drive way to fry my egg's ;), so I boiled some up in the house. I'm going to crush them up shell and all to mix into some wet feed for the flock tomorrow.
It's almost unbearable out there. I have the hose running, taking ice out there now.

It's almost unbearable out there. I have the hose running, taking ice out there now.

I have lost track of how many time's that I have gone out there to check up on them. I still have some here that have those fully feathered neck's and are fluffier. Those are the one's that I am most worried about. The Naked Neck's proved to me last summer that they can handle it.

I have lost track of how many time's that I have gone out there to check up on them. I still have some here that have those fully feathered neck's and are fluffier. Those are the one's that I am most worried about. The Naked Neck's proved to me last summer that they can handle it.
My flock is handling it ok but the puddles help a lot. The water is cool and they can stand in it or not with some good shade.

Guys....... I got another chick.. 👩‍🍳 I THINK it's a female mille fleur d'uccle... i wont torture her to get a pic, she is integrating w the others. Moon Baby is being super nice to her.. the others are playing race car around the coop. She is actually from the same shipment Moon Baby and Cinnamon came from, so maybe they remember each other (I know, probably not!!). I am happy... I know cinnamon is going to be a roo.. so my insurance numbers are back on track!

Guys....... I got another chick.. 👩‍🍳 I THINK it's a female mille fleur d'uccle... i wont torture her to get a pic, she is integrating w the others. Moon Baby is being super nice to her.. the others are playing race car around the coop. She is actually from the same shipment Moon Baby and Cinnamon came from, so maybe they remember each other (I know, probably not!!). I am happy... I know cinnamon is going to be a roo.. so my insurance numbers are back on track!

You are already into the chicken math, and they haven't even started laying you some egg's yet. :gig

You are already into the chicken math, and they haven't even started laying you some egg's yet. :gig
Yes, I originally wanted 2 silkies, and came home w 2 silkies and a d'uccle, then 2 more D'Uccles for D'uccle insurance, but since cinnamon is looking manly, I had to do a d'uccle replacement, but the girl at the pet shop has 8 silkie chicks from this same batch, so she will call me to get an extra silkie chick once she knows which are which 🤣 how did this happen to me?!? I'm so good at math!!!

Back
Top Bottom