Arizona Chickens

View attachment 2502822
About 12-14" and still snowing heavily.
You are stealing a large portion of the snow that is coming our way. we are only going to get about 6 inches :hit
image_2021-01-25_172812.png

Are you going to get on the road now, or waiting until tomorrow? Of course the downpour came as we needed to get back in the truck w 2 carts of plants and feed!!
I'm waiting until wednesday when the sheet of ice under the snow will have dissipated. The rain should be over, I'll get snow tonight then drying out tomorrow but still freezing tomorrow. I'll muck out again in a few minutes-- I'm prioritizing which areas to add the dry bedding to, and the birds are mainly staying under the roosts. One of the midnight majesty marans looked outside the run at the snow and decided to stay in.

I'm waiting until wednesday when the sheet of ice under the snow will have dissipated. The rain should be over, I'll get snow tonight then drying out tomorrow but still freezing tomorrow. I'll muck out again in a few minutes-- I'm prioritizing which areas to add the dry bedding to, and the birds are mainly staying under the roosts. One of the midnight majesty marans looked outside the run at the snow and decided to stay in.
Good idea... i decided to take the scenic route to the store earlier.. forgetting that it floods! Wasn't bad at that moment, but i bet it is now. Funny all the little wild birds are gone, but those new little visitors were still hanging out, even in the rain. Lots of worms for them to find!!

Hi, everyone, our coop plans are back on! :yesss:The expense that was hurting us the most was the cost of lumber, so I started looking for plans that required less lumber. I was inspired by Gallo Del Cielo's hoop coop and some videos by this couple.

When I showed these to my landlord, a mathematics professor, she got very excited and wrote out two whole pages of equations to determine the optimal height and width of the hoops, lol. She's back in, although I have yet to calculate final costs. I wanted some feedback on the basic design from you all first.

The basic construction is 1/4" hardware cloth and heavy duty tarp over cattle panels. I know the coop looks rather bare. We'll add perches and toys to make life more interesting for the hens. This was just to show the layout. Please excuse my crappy Sketchup skills, you know how much I @%^$# that program!

The design is for 8-10 laying hens with 12.8 sq. ft. of ground surface area per hen (probably 4 EEs, 4 leghorns, and 2 buff orps). They cannot free-range due to the many Cooper's hawks we have here. We also have coyotes, raccoons, skunks, bobcats, rattlesnakes, feral cats, and pack rats. The reason for hardware cloth going down 1 foot below the coop is because our yard is plagued with those burrowing ground squirrels. :tongue

Town code requires chicken coops to be predator proof. Basically the entire thing is a fully enclosed 1/4" hardware cloth cage. A wireless cam will help us keep an eye on the coop while we're inside our home.

I don't expect the inside of the coop to get soaked when it rains but you know how those monsoon downpours can be. The concrete block caps on the ground are there to keep the wood out of water and mud as much as possible if water gets in. We'll use pressure-treated wood anywhere it touches the ground. The plywood panels on either side of the 6' roosts should block water and wind.

The western sun in summer is going to be brutal on the open west end of the coop so we will add a pull-down shade over that end. We're also putting in misters and a fan and a shade sail over the exposed hardware cloth hoop for summer. With that and the 8' ceiling, a white tarp (instead of black), and open east and west ends for air flow, that should allow the heat to vent and help keep the coop cool, right?

More questions:

What are peoples' experiences with summer and winter desert temps in hoop coops? Can the hens stay cool enough in summer and warm enough in winter? The tarp only allows for about 32 square feet with direct/overhead sunshine - is that going to be enough sun exposure for the hens, especially in winter? How often do tarps have to be replaced? How do you anchor the coop against downbursts? Anything else we should know about hoop coops in the desert?

ALSO... does anyone here raise mealworms for their chickens? Do you keep your mealworm kit outdoors? How do the mealworms do in our desert temp extremes?

P.S. I am loving this rain!! :wee

Attachments

• front21.png
    front21.png
    473.4 KB · Views: 4
  • inside21.png
    inside21.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Hi, everyone, our coop plans are back on! :yesss:The expense that was hurting us the most was the cost of lumber, so I started looking for plans that required less lumber. I was inspired by Gallo Del Cielo's hoop coop and some videos by this couple.

When I showed these to my landlord, a mathematics professor, she got very excited and wrote out two whole pages of equations to determine the optimal height and width of the hoops, lol. She's back in, although I have yet to calculate final costs. I wanted some feedback on the basic design from you all first.

The basic construction is 1/4" hardware cloth and heavy duty tarp over cattle panels. I know the coop looks rather bare. We'll add perches and toys to make life more interesting for the hens. This was just to show the layout. Please excuse my crappy Sketchup skills, you know how much I @%^$# that program!

The design is for 8-10 laying hens with 12.8 sq. ft. of ground surface area per hen (probably 4 EEs, 4 leghorns, and 2 buff orps). They cannot free-range due to the many Cooper's hawks we have here. We also have coyotes, raccoons, skunks, bobcats, rattlesnakes, feral cats, and pack rats. The reason for hardware cloth going down 1 foot below the coop is because our yard is plagued with those burrowing ground squirrels. :tongue

Town code requires chicken coops to be predator proof. Basically the entire thing is a fully enclosed 1/4" hardware cloth cage. A wireless cam will help us keep an eye on the coop while we're inside our home.

I don't expect the inside of the coop to get soaked when it rains but you know how those monsoon downpours can be. The concrete block caps on the ground are there to keep the wood out of water and mud as much as possible if water gets in. We'll use pressure-treated wood anywhere it touches the ground. The plywood panels on either side of the 6' roosts should block water and wind.

The western sun in summer is going to be brutal on the open west end of the coop so we will add a pull-down shade over that end. We're also putting in misters and a fan and a shade sail over the exposed hardware cloth hoop for summer. With that and the 8' ceiling, a white tarp (instead of black), and open east and west ends for air flow, that should allow the heat to vent and help keep the coop cool, right?

More questions:

What are peoples' experiences with summer and winter desert temps in hoop coops? Can the hens stay cool enough in summer and warm enough in winter? The tarp only allows for about 32 square feet with direct/overhead sunshine - is that going to be enough sun exposure for the hens, especially in winter? How often do tarps have to be replaced? How do you anchor the coop against downbursts? Anything else we should know about hoop coops in the desert?

ALSO... does anyone here raise mealworms for their chickens? Do you keep your mealworm kit outdoors? How do the mealworms do in our desert temp extremes?

Looks very professional!
The tarps' lifespan will vary greatly depending on the source of the tarp. I've only used big box tarps and had them last about a year then disintegrate.
Depending on where in Southern AZ you are (Tucson vs Sierra Vista) you might want to re-orient the coop/run or have the door on the east end so it's easier to block the entire west end from the afternoon sun.
I like the idea of having a mister, I have generally used the ones that come with 5 or so nozzles, are about 10 ft of misting length, then I get nozzle plugs for all but 1-2 of the nozzles to control the dampness.
People always talk about ice, puddles, wet bricks to sit in, but key is the fact that the heat of the day is at sunset (roost-time for the birds) so the mister and a fan could be very important, again, depending which part of southern AZ you are in.
Congrats on the plans!

More questions:

Hey.. check out "marine" fabric covers.. they are built for boats and have UV protectant and you can get them measured out to your specs, w grommets, for pretty reasonable prices. I can't remember if i just googled them or found them on amazon, but pretty much they stand up to total sun in an ocean plus salt and wind, beats out what we've got to handle! I was planning on putting those sail covers in the back, but got my cheaper walmart ramadas instead (which could also be an option). In the summer tho, i think they need to be up high. Mine are 8' high and it is like a little oven under them, but they aren't breathable.. I don't have misters, etc. Mine are people covers, so i can't speak to the specific chicken effectiveness. But if its hot for me, might be hot for them. Can you also plant some native trees along the sides? They grow quickly and provide nice natural cooling. (Just throwing out ideas) 💡

Back
Top Bottom