Arizona Chickens

If I have several, I eat them. I just disposed of the little guy (in the trash) when a buyer took the girl Exchequer. He was only 6 weeks old and trying to crow. :( Some sell them to people who have pet snakes, or donate them to local wild life rescues, things like that. Hatcheries sell them as "chicken by-products" to pet food mfg.
Better to humanely dispatch them and put them in the trash like you do, people feed them live to snakes!

Can you share a recipe for the dog food?
Just cook your chicken until it is easy to bone. Just like you were making chicken stew for yourself. I use the pressure cooker to make it faster, but a crock pot would do, too. When the chicken is done the small bones are very soft, you do not need to worry about giving those to dogs, or eating them yourself, for that matter. (You can even cook the chicken parts we do not eat, that you do not want, such as gizzard, feet, guts, you name it, dogs like it). Remove large leg bones, but neck bones are fine in the dog food. Now, put equal parts of chicken and rice with the right amount of water for the rice. Example: 2 cups chicken scraps, 2 cups rice, 4 cups water. Cook that with any leftovers you have like potatoes, carrots, old stale bread, etc. I do it on clean out the frig day, which is the day before the trash truck comes, also a good day for processing chickens. Put it in refrigerator containers, or mason jars, keeps a week in the frig. Freeze it for as long as 6 months. I use it like I would use canned dog food, on top of dry kibble. Dogs love it!

You could cook them in the crock pot also, if you don't have a pressure cooker. Then keep some of the broth with the meat, and freeze it in smaller containers so you could thaw and use a bit at a time.
The crock pot all day on low will have your young rooster falling off the bone. We eat what we want and make dog food with the rest.

OK, hope the connection holds. Wonky internet and phone connections are a thing out here.

The girls gave me 2 more eggs, so now it's 21. The last two are only an hour behind the others, so it's not a problem. And I do have a friend at work who will take any and every thing she can, so there's a good chance any males could be re-homed. If she eats them, well, at least I didn't have to do it. She's the queen of scrounge.

Just cook your chicken until it is easy to bone. Just like you were making chicken stew for yourself. I use the pressure cooker to make it faster, but a crock pot would do, too. When the chicken is done the small bones are very soft, you do not need to worry about giving those to dogs, or eating them yourself, for that matter. (You can even cook the chicken parts we do not eat, that you do not want, such as gizzard, feet, guts, you name it, dogs like it). Remove large leg bones, but neck bones are fine in the dog food. Now, put equal parts of chicken and rice with the right amount of water for the rice. Example: 2 cups chicken scraps, 2 cups rice, 4 cups water. Cook that with any leftovers you have like potatoes, carrots, old stale bread, etc. I do it on clean out the frig day, which is the day before the trash truck comes, also a good day for processing chickens. Put it in refrigerator containers, or mason jars, keeps a week in the frig. Freeze it for as long as 6 months. I use it like I would use canned dog food, on top of dry kibble. Dogs love it!
Copied! :)

OK, hope the connection holds. Wonky internet and phone connections are a thing out here.

The girls gave me 2 more eggs, so now it's 21. The last two are only an hour behind the others, so it's not a problem. And I do have a friend at work who will take any and every thing she can, so there's a good chance any males could be re-homed. If she eats them, well, at least I didn't have to do it. She's the queen of scrounge.
Try to give her those males before they eat you out of house and home! If you have a pressure canner, I would can the dog chicken without the rice, uses less jars. Then, Jar of chicken, jar of rice, cooked for 20 min = dog food for a week.

Try to give her those males before they eat you out of house and home! If you have a pressure canner, I would can the dog chicken without the rice, uses less jars. Then, Jar of chicken, jar of rice, cooked for 20 min = dog food for a week.
And 2 jar's of water before cooking?

And 2 jar's of water before cooking?
Yes, did not put that, rice to water = 1 cup/jar to 2 of water. In a large pot, ;)! When we get dog food at the store, it is 1/2 ingredients that are not meat. Usually corn. Corn prices are up, now you see the dog food promoting that it is "grain free" using potatoes and carrots. I use rice because I have it, but you could use potatoes, sweet potatoes are good too, any filler we have is better than what the pet food company uses! When I was young and raising my kids we were on food stamps for a while. I just bought the cheapest 10 pound bag of frozen chicken legs, it was .29/pound. Food stamps cover that, but not canned dog food. Dog food at the time was $1.00 for a 14oz can, not even a whole pound, dry food was cheaper, but not covered by food stamp budget. Dogs have been eating our leftovers for all of history up until the last 50 years, my dogs were fine on that diet, as were my kids!

Back
Top Bottom