Arizona Chickens

Shouldn't we put something over the hardware cloth so they don't get bumblefoot from walking around on the wire? Or does it not matter? We can dig down a little bit but the caliche is right there at the surface.
I know your concern are those lil ground squirrels devlz:mad:,,, and I honestly never dealt with them. Are they able to EASILY dig thru the caliche??? Maybe for starters,, don't do the HC on the ground, and see. :idunno You can always add it later, and cover ground with some top-soil from garden center,,,,, or sand. (or earth you scrape of the yard surface) Your choice. I would not have chickens running around on top of the HC, JMO. They would attempt to scratch,,, regardless if there was a section for dust bathing in a box container.

Shouldn't we put something over the hardware cloth so they don't get bumblefoot from walking around on the wire? Or does it not matter? We can dig down a little bit but the caliche is right there at the surface.
Straw would work, breaks down pretty quick. I wouldn’t use wood chips, you run the risk of the flock getting hurt on it and it’s far more expensive than straw.

Hurt like splinters and such from wood chips? Darn, I thought wood chips would be an awesome thing for chickens to peck around in. We can usually get them for free, too.

Caliche isn't always in one thick slab layer, like a house foundation. It can concentrate into large lumps. Easy for squirrels to burrow around. We will free feed our hens and we don't want to feed the squirrel population, too. They're a huge problem here. I suspect they've tunneled under the house, too, but that's for the homeowner to deal with. 🙁

Last edited:
Hurt like splinters and such from wood chips? Darn, I thought wood chips would be an awesome thing for chickens to peck around in. We can usually get them for free, too.

Caliche isn't always in one thick slab layer, like a house foundation. It can concentrate into large lumps. Easy for squirrels to burrow around. We will free feed our hens and we don't want to feed the squirrel population, too. They're a huge problem here. I suspect they've tunneled under the house, too, but that's for the homeowner to deal with. 😔
I used to live in a place where the driveway was on a slab of granite but I had various rodents, including a groundhog that tunneled under the house and into the opening for the bathtub drain. One rodent even chewed thru the extension cord I had for the brooder!

I had a pro poison the groundhog and then I cut the bathroom/bedroom wall to get his body out, and I sprayed the extension cord with a mixture of oils: cinnamon, rosemary, mint, cedar, possibly oregano oil and had no repeat problems with the rodents. I periodically sprayed this concoction on plants that I didn't want the rodents to eat, and a perimeter around the coop. Maybe you could try that approach? Also, taking away the food at night would serve the same purpose as an expensive metal feeder would--it'd deter the pests from entering the area because there'd be no food for them.

Back
Top Bottom