Arizona Chickens

I think that they aren't worried about what it tastes like, they are doing it to get high.
I pretty sure they will skip the chicken part and just go for the stuff that makes them high.

Using Nyquil for that (or other cold meds) is definitely not new, just another lap around the never ending circle of "fads" -except there's nothing new under the sun.

Yesterday I got my 3rd egg! That's 3 in 4 days. I think it is the same girl laying because each one is a bit darker. I have no idea if that means anything though, lol. Just a guess.

Sooo... a newbie question here: I'm keeping the bloom on the eggs (not washing) and storing them in my egg skelter on the counter. When it comes time to actually use them, I assume I should wash the outside of the eggs before cracking them open?

In the pic here, I rotated them to show the dirtiest sides of the eggs. The 3rd shows some paper litter stuck on it (Carefresh that I have temporarily placed on the artificial grass in the nestbox -- in trying to coax them to use the box). The first might have a streak of blood? from being a "first" egg?

Attachments

• 3 eggs lr.jpg
    3 eggs lr.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 2
Yesterday I got my 3rd egg! That's 3 in 4 days. I think it is the same girl laying because each one is a bit darker. I have no idea if that means anything though, lol. Just a guess.

Sooo... a newbie question here: I'm keeping the bloom on the eggs (not washing) and storing them in my egg skelter on the counter. When it comes time to actually use them, I assume I should wash the outside of the eggs before cracking them open?

In the pic here, I rotated them to show the dirtiest sides of the eggs. The 3rd shows some paper litter stuck on it (Carefresh that I have temporarily placed on the artificial grass in the nestbox -- in trying to coax them to use the box). The first might have a streak of blood? from being a "first" egg?
Yep...wash right before using. I drop mine in a glass of water to float test, then wash and use.

Good looking eggs!

This pic reminds me, @Happy Novogens about why I just switched back to pine shaving bedding. I did a stint using micro shredded junk mail (of which the supply is free and never ending!) and I just couldn't keep it off the eggs.

This was fine for ones that got used at home but I got a little self conscious about the eggs I gave to friends and neighbors. Luckily the shavings don't cost much but darn, if it had worked out, it would have been great! 😅

I started out rinsing them before using them to keep the bloom on during storage but lately I found myself forgetting to rinse unless they have a smudge than I do. I think it's a habit from never washing store bought eggs all my life, I don't even realize it until after they're in the pan. I still find some eggs with bedding stuck to them from the nest box and I just gently scrape off those bits with my finger nail, idk if that would work with paper if it's really stuck on the shell. I think you have 2 different layers, the color doesn't normally change like that from one day to the next but in a year or longer you can compare pictures of eggs from now and then and see they gradually get lighter over time. How many pullets do you have?

I started out rinsing them before using them to keep the bloom on during storage but lately I found myself forgetting to rinse unless they have a smudge than I do. I think it's a habit from never washing store bought eggs all my life, I don't even realize it until after they're in the pan. I still find some eggs with bedding stuck to them from the nest box and I just gently scrape off those bits with my finger nail, idk if that would work with paper if it's really stuck on the shell. I think you have 2 different layers, the color doesn't normally change like that from one day to the next but in a year or longer you can compare pictures of eggs from now and then and see they gradually get lighter over time. How many pullets do you have?
I have a piece of cheap indoor/outdoor carpet that I use on the egg sort table - makes it easy to rub off little bits of whatever before I put into cartons for friends or neighbors. I also use this carpet as liners in carriers or sometimes in egg boxes with more bedding on top. You can get it off a roll at Home Depot or Lowes - or cheaper if they have a precut piece in a bin next to the roll.

If anything won't come off the egg goes into 1) really dirty eggs: a bin for dogs/chickens OR 2) slightly dirty eggs: a bin for just us to use. I rarely ever wash the eggs- just sort like this and eggs in bin 1 or 2 are fully cooked before anyone eats it.

Now you have enough to make an omelet!

Back
Top Bottom