Arizona Chickens

So now that we've got the new coop in order, and my husband has been suggesting that we add more chickens, I am thinking about adding ONE more chicken right now (not 4 like my husband wants).
roll.png
My two seem content, but I feel like they might be happier with one more friend in case they get annoyed with each other.
tongue.png
I'm not completely decided yet, but I'm sort of just figuring out my options. I wanted to see if anyone in the AJ / Mesa area has either a barred rock or a wyandotte pullet they'd be willing to sell? I'd just like a pullet so they are relatively close in age, but I didn't want to do a chick since I'm only getting one and I didn't want it to be lonely in the brooder. PM me if you're interested though! Thanks guys.

--------------
Edit:

Never mind! My friend at Superstition Farm, I had emailed her because they posted a picture of their chicks and half of them looked like barred rocks. She said they are bantam cochin barred rocks and that I could have one! She's going to wait until she can tell who the pullets are and then I can get her. I found my Daisy! :)
Just my 2 cents but you should get 2 chicks so they can become buddies. I find that adding one to the already established flock results in lots of pecking the newbie. If you add two, they feel a bit "safer" in numbers.

I have a bunch of Aloha eggs that are getting old and I've just set about 100 eggs so sheesh . . . too much of a good thing! Anyone want some FREE HATCHING EGGS just send me a PM. I'll be around all day tomorrow working, and also will be around a lot the next couple days after that.

Here's some recent chicks from these eggs, most are part or half Swedish Flower or part Sussex.

Just my 2 cents but you should get 2 chicks so they can become buddies. I find that adding one to the already established flock results in lots of pecking the newbie. If you add two, they feel a bit "safer" in numbers.
I only have 2 right now as it is. So I just am reticent to jump up to 4. Baby steps. I do see what you mean, I considered that too. I know they'll have to establish pecking order and all that. But I'm mentally preparing for it. Finger crossed though that it goes pretty smoothly.

Edit:
I do appreciate your advice, by the way. And I know you're right, that it's better to add them in pairs. And I know most people have bigger flocks so the difference between one chicken and two isn't a big deal. I just have a very small number and I'd like to keep it a small number. I'd like to have 4 maximum, but I really don't want to add them all at once. I just think 3 chickens would be happier than 2.

Last edited:
I'm done with the new coop, just gotta make the run, I put the little girls in it the other night because of the massive winds we were getting in Casa Grande, here's a sneek peek of the youngin's in the new coop! The roost is gonna go the other way, it was just temporarily set that way for the night. I will have a full gallery of photo's once it's complete!!
Nice, looks cozy.. :) We had winds last night as well...we put the month old chicks in with moma lorine & her week old babies, plus our original flock.. So far no blood or fighting.. I think with loraine & the babies they don't mind the others...

I only have 2 right now as it is. So I just am reticent to jump up to 4. Baby steps. I do see what you mean, I considered that too. I know they'll have to establish pecking order and all that. But I'm mentally preparing for it. Finger crossed though that it goes pretty smoothly.

Edit:
I do appreciate your advice, by the way. And I know you're right, that it's better to add them in pairs. And I know most people have bigger flocks so the difference between one chicken and two isn't a big deal. I just have a very small number and I'd like to keep it a small number. I'd like to have 4 maximum, but I really don't want to add them all at once. I just think 3 chickens would be happier than 2.
I do agree that 3 would be happier for sure. Here's to a smooth introduction and becoming best buddies. :)

Hi all. I'm new from Scottsdale. We just got 4 chicks that are about a week old. We did research and didn't find any laws about chickens in Scottsdale besides the ordinance listed on BYC stating we could have any number of hens and no roosters. Unfortunately the best spot for our coop and run are along the 6ft block wall that borders our neighbor. Hopefully we won't have any issues with those neighbors. We butt up against Thunderbird Rd so there's always a bit of road noise and if they can deal with that hopefully a few chicken clucks won't be too bad.

We got a Black Sex Link, a RIR, a Welsummer and an EE. We probably shouldn't have named them yet but their names are Onyxia, Phillie, Tea and Eleanore. Currently they're in a brooder box in the garage and doing well. We're in the process of converting our resin shed into a coop. We're adding more windows with screens for the hot summer and adding all the other necessities. Now we're just praying all 4 chicks are definitely girls. They were all sexed at the hatchery according to the feed store which seemed knowledgeable and well established since the 60s but we had a friend order from "my pet chicken" and out of the 12 females he ordered one was a male. Since the Black Star is definitely a female we really only have to worry about the other 3, I guess.

Well I just wanted to introduce myself. I'd love to be in contact with any other chicken owners in Scottsdale. Would be nice to know your experiences. Nice to meet you, to all the Arizonans.

Nice, looks cozy..
smile.png

We had winds last night as well...we put the month old chicks in with moma lorine & her week old babies, plus our original flock..
So far no blood or fighting.. I think with loraine & the babies they don't mind the others...
Thanks! And it's good to hear there's no fighting with teh little ones!! As soon as I get my run built, I'm gonna put my 2 17-18 week olds with the 9-10 week olds....they already free range together and one of the older pullets acts as the guardian of the younger girls to the more agresive older girls. I'm sure there are gonna be some pecking order fights, but I hope nothing that will result in injury.

AND THEN LATER.....
Well, Dar?

[COLOR=A52A2A]I didn't dare put it under the broody, as I figured at this point she'd kill it.
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=A52A2A]IT ZIPPED IN LIKE FIVE MINUTES!!!!
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=A52A2A]So, I stole two Delawares from the Broody Mama and put little "Milagro" (that's Miracle in Español) in the Laree brooder with them.
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=A52A2A]My kids were freaking at the NAKEDNESS of the neck!!!
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=B42000]
[/COLOR]
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Great to hear we could have chickens in Mesa proper, we are looking to buy a house in the downtown area...
good information here!
Thanks Jeanne
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom