Arizona Chickens

Has anyone used Pet Club brand feed? I HATE driving out to Western Ranchman because the traffic on Bell is always a nightmare and I hate driving *period* I was going to go out there to buy a 50lb starter/grower but decided to call Pet Club because there's one right near me. The guy told me they carry layer chicken feed but the closest location that carries grower is Paradise Valley, which is just as far as Ranchman but might be a better drive for me. The girls have been on Nutrena until this point but Pet Club supposedly only carries their own feed. Curious if anyone has anything good/bad to say about their feed. This may be the last starter/grower I buy. When they finish this it should be time for layer and I think I'm going to go with an organic soy free once I'm getting eggs from them.

If you're thinking about doing the organic soy-free, you might jump in on this month's order from the Phoenix Organic Feed. I've heard that comparable bags sold locally are in the $35 range, so this is a far better deal. Orders and payment is due by the 25th and it'll be delivered right around the end of the first week of August if it's like the last order. I've loved my first bag so far, but I can't comment on the Pet Club brand. I've only used the Nutrena myself prior to the co-op.

I know that doesn't help you now, though... I just thought I'd re-mention it since we only order every two months and posts get lost awfully quick in our speedy world...

If you're thinking about doing the organic soy-free, you might jump in on this month's order from the Phoenix Organic Feed. I've heard that comparable bags sold locally are in the $35 range, so this is a far better deal. Orders and payment is due by the 25th and it'll be delivered right around the end of the first week of August if it's like the last order. I've loved my first bag so far, but I can't comment on the Pet Club brand. I've only used the Nutrena myself prior to the co-op.

I know that doesn't help you now, though... I just thought I'd re-mention it since we only order every two months and posts get lost awfully quick in our speedy world...
Thanks, I saw the post about the Phoenix Organic Feed last night and will most likely be doing that as their adult food but I am like totally out and need to get their starter/grower asap so I'll buy one last bag today and the next time ordering for the organic stuff comes around (im assuming in 2 months) I'lll put in my order. I have the site bookmarked and will be requesting an order form. Thanks again!

I appreciate the warning about Pratt's.  I don't like supporting companies that have questionable habits like that.  I am picking up an unknown breed and gender off Craig's List this afternoon from a woman, so I'll have to find it a mate after I get the information.  It's free, so I'm not terribly concerned about how this one works out.  Worst case scenario, I find better breeds and this one goes to Camp Freezer.

The rest of it seems to be largely a knee-jerk reaction to some personal bad experience, and some of it goes against what numerous other "credable" sources recommend.  We all know that rabbits burrow, are notorious for procreation (which is good for the meat program), and are quick.  To me, much of this is akin to saying that all dogs should be kept in a kennel because they have very severe bites and can trample other creatures.  Although it may be true, it isn't something to be terrified of.

After reading the link on Statis, it is something I appreciate being made aware of, but it isn't a real concern.  With the same propery husbandry that I give to my chickens, and family for that matter), it can be avoided.  Maintaining a healthy high quality diet, ample fresh water and plenty of excercise is the recommendations on that page.  With anything that will be fed to my family, it is a given that they will be fed this way.  Keeping them in a cage, though, does not allow proper excercise.  It's just like Coccidiosis and Marek's.  Is it something to panic about or a reason to keep your chickens in the coop all the time?  Absolutely not.  It's something that you should be aware of and know how to treat, but not be afraid of.  It's even very treatable, with or without a vet.

After reading about dietary requirements, vegetables and food scraps need not be avoided.  In fact, Dr. Dana Krempels of the University of Miami states differently in her article What should I feed my bunny?  Similarly, the House Rabbit Society has a detailed list of Suggested Fruits and Vegetables for a Rabbit Diet, including how often each category should be fed.  They both recommend limiting pellets to a certain amount per day based on body weight and ensuring hay is always available.

I think some of that came out more harsh than I intended, but I always try to verify the information from various sources.  As with all things, there are multiple ways to do everything and this is no exception.  I experienced a similar reaction when I expressed the desire to raise the chickens and we have proven every bit of those warnings wrong.  They are not the filthy, mean and nasty creatures that I was led to believe.  Thank you for the information.  It's given me a great starting point for some of the research.

There is a difference between raising an animal to consume than as a pet. I'm aware of what The House Rabbit Society and other credible sources say. Please read all the House Rabbit Society pages too. Meat rabbits should be fed a high quality pellet with fresh hay and water. Kits, breeding does and young bucks should not be on limited pellets. This is produce optimal weight gain and growth. At 8 weeks of age kits should be butchered. This is to avoid gamy meat (older rabbits tend to be), inbreeding and waste of feed. In Arizona limiting pellets can be deadly, there is not point to it either. Some individuals may vary but most rabbits slow down feed intake during the summer. Winter is breeding season and again, there is no reason to stop feed if you want them to reproduce. My last advice would be to find a mentor or find someone who has raised meat rabbits in Arizona. At least so they can help you understand the different methods of raising fryers.

frow.gif
welcome to all the new az peeps and hello to all the regulars

i got a great compliment from a stranger yesterday :) he was working on my neighbors cable and came over to tell me he liked my rooster. apparently he heard him crowing and he and the neighbor came over to say hi. I am constantly in a state of worry over my chickens because i have rental properties all around me and you never know what the new people are going to say. they both commented on how his crow isnt piercing and annoying. i was so happy. Optimus is a brahma and doesnt crow much in the first place, but when he does its deep and manly, lol.

to rrr and demo: thank you both for your info on rabbits. i will continue to research both sides to determine if its the right fit for my family. on a side note, is it possible to compost rabbit waste?

re compost: i got a black barrel compost bin from the city. i water it and turn it whenever i remember and it makes a decent product. i am thinking about dumping the whole thing in a pallet compost bin and letting the chickens have access to it.

Well I ran over to the Paradise Valley Pet Club and they had bags of all stages of feed and actually had Nutrena starter/grower which is what the girls eat now, it was $19.99 for 40lbs. The man on the phone from the other location made it sound like they only carried Pet Club brand of all the stages and types of feed but it looks like they had nutrena layer feed too for anyone in that area looking for somewhere to get feed. It was a much easier drive than going out to Ranchman too.

Thanks for the info on composting everyone. I wonder if the city if Phoenix would provide a compost bucket for inside the house like the city of San Francisco does. Meanwhile, I'll start using my back corner for all my compost.

Do you add chicken poop to the compost pile? What about dog poop? Like I said, I don't know anything about this.

My EEs are stubborn little girls and the Buttercups are super skiddish with me. Hoping they calm down.

Still interested in getting some Pullets from Tucson ... Still looking for some carpool chicken buddies. I'll do the drive if I can have the gas helped with, can probably manage a couple dozen pullets in my SUV.

Lemme know, y'all!

Thanks for the info on composting everyone. I wonder if the city if Phoenix would provide a compost bucket for inside the house like the city of San Francisco does. Meanwhile, I'll start using my back corner for all my compost.

Do you add chicken poop to the compost pile? What about dog poop? Like I said, I don't know anything about this.

My EEs are stubborn little girls and the Buttercups are super skiddish with me. Hoping they calm down.

Still interested in getting some Pullets from Tucson ... Still looking for some carpool chicken buddies. I'll do the drive if I can have the gas helped with, can probably manage a couple dozen pullets in my SUV.

Lemme know, y'all!
I do add chicken poop but not dog, You need to let it sit for a while if you add chicken poop for the ammonia to go away, 6 months- a year from the research I've done. I have heard some people say adding chicken poop will cause weeds in your garden from the seeds that they pass but I'm sure I have more seeds from grass and weed in there already than the chicken poop would ever add to my compost.

I don't compost dog poop because they eat meat and I don't like the idea of the organisms and diseases that can be carried in it. I know a lot of people do and I've seen a special on people who compost human poop too. They make special wooden box potty chairs that go over a 5 gallon bucket. But I believe the same 6 months- a year rule stands so that it has time to fully break down.

I don't compost meat or dairy either. Even though my bins are enclosed with small vent holes I have enough little roof rats around stealing my chickens left over snacks that I don't need to attract more pests having meat in my compost bins. I'm a worrier and super paranoid about everything so if I read something I always keep it in the back of my mind. I stick with what I know is safe.

I originally only had 1 bin and constantly added to it so there was always stuff that was ready to use mixed in with stuff newly added and so it wasn't efficient. I got myself a second bin so now that bin 1 is totally full I'll just be turning it and dampening it for the next 6 months and only adding to bin 2.

I really wanted to go to Tuscon and get some pullets with you but my boyfriend yelled at me last night because I always promise "this is the last one" when it comes to animals and then I go back on my word. So he got super serious with me and very sternly said "no more, maybe in a couple years or if one dies". :( Hope you get some new chickies though.

Do NOT purchase rabbits from Pratt's Feed. They have had several break outs of ringworm, parasites and I know for a fact they take in reject rabbits from breeders. Do NOT buy stock you are going to consume from a company like that! I'm not bashing them but PLEASE just don't do it! If you need help finding any source of rabbit related items please send me PM. I am more than willing to help and I know several breeders throughout Arizona that would be happy to get you started.

I've been raising rabbits for 6+ years in Arizona and I can write an entire book against free ranging meat rabbits. I can go on and on as to why it is a bad idea. An adult New Zealand doe can burrow 2 feet or more a night, chew and dig her way through wood, thinner metals, plastic, rubber, reproduce at 8 weeks of age, procreate within 10 minutes of birth, kindle 10 or more kits per month, outrun you at 20mph, jump 6 feet in the air and land a kick that yields 30 pounds of precise pressure. (Easily snapping chicken bones!) Any rabbit of this size should be rightfully contained. This is not only for the flock but for the sake of the rabbits.

Rabbits are susceptible to a large array of diseases and conditions (notably spreadable from chicken to rabbits, vice versa and rabbit to young children) that can be avoided by keeping them in controllable environments. One of the top fatal ailments of rabbits is called Gastrointestinal Stasis. I implore you to read of it here. Scraps should never be fed. Vegetables should be avoided with breeding rabbits and rabbits under the age of 6 months. The best diet for rabbits is a quality rabbit pellet, fresh water and timothy hay. Never rationed and always free fed.
In hindsight this rant is too long for a simple forum post. My apologies for clogging this thread. Besides these terribly unorganized rambles there are several factors regarding meat rabbits that logically point to caging units for housing. If you need information on rabbits and sources send me a PM. I'll do my best to help you out.

Are you talking about a Pikachu?

You do know that those only exist in video games, card games and television shows? Right?

Alright, so this isn't chicken related, but it's Arizona related, so here goes... I was at Pratt's today texting my wife all sorts of pictures of the various stock they have there like the goats and sheep. She repeatedly said no, until I got to the rabbits. I've thought recently about adding a couple rabbits and allowing them to procreate and use it as meat. I want to free-range them, though, just like my chickens. Having never had rabbits and knowing they burrow, how damaging are they to my lawn? I do have a 2-foot wide strip of dirt/rock lining the entire fence line where the oleanders are planted, plus the 6-foot by 20-foot dirt area leading to the chicken coop.

In terms of food, they should be able to graze on the lawn and eat all of the food scraps we constantly throw outside, right? I'd prefer not really supplementing their feed. I know they are primarily herbivores, so that shouldn't be a problem. Oh, and this special pasture blend of grass I just ordered would drastically improve their diet from my current bermuda grass!

Any other thoughts from anyone who keeps them? I would post on the Arizona Backyard Farmers page, but it was deleted and I haven't been approved back in to the new group. I know more people there are rabbit people. It's been a bit more difficult to find free-range information on them, though.

You probably already received the info you were looking for but I'll share my little 2 cents. We had 2 bunnies given to us because apparently no I don't want them means sure leave them here. I built a structure to try and keep them in and they would just climb right out of it, 3' high. Anyway they ate every last bit of grass in my yard. The chickens will eat it down low like a putting green but these bunnies ate the roots and all. I'm still trying to get the grass to grow back. They also chewed on the trunks of my fruit trees killing 2 of them. I spent a small fortune trying to protect everything from them so if you free range them beware.

TWINKLN:

Thanks for the great reply! I appreciate your knowledge on the composting thing. I will continue to gather info and start my pile with what I've got so far. Probably going to skip the dog poo as I think it would end up 90% of my pile! (two Great Danes and a handful of chihuahuas.)

Tucson isn't happening right away so hopefully a couple will be interested soon. Would have been fun together but I FULLY understand the promises we make sometimes and break with regard to pet purchases. My wife promised 3 Foster dogs. We have 8. Eek! I promised myself 6 chickens MAX. We'll see if i can keep that promise. :)

Back
Top Bottom