Arizona Chickens

Twinklin, I don't even know if I could deal with a bird that has a chronic issue like yours. How on earth did you ever figure out she had a problem to begin with? How did you learn how to make her vomit and clear the crop? I wouldn't even know how to diagnose the crop like you can. And I've certainly never heard of a crop bra. I admire you!

The internet is a wonderful thing. Using this forum, wikipedia, and numerous other websites I've taught myself a lot about chicken health. She had gotten sour crop when she was only about 5-6 weeks old. Our grass had gotten too long and the girls had just been moved outside so they were discovering all the new kinds of stuff to eat. Ely has a fixation with long grass. I noticed her crop was very enlarged one morning and remembered reading about sour crop. So I started trial and error with remedies found online. Unfortunately we had a major error the first time and put pine shavings in her quarantine cage. If you've ever seen a dog with an upset stomach you may notice they do things like eat random stuff, eat grass or lick the floor trying to make themselves feel better. Well she ate a ton of bedding and ended up with an impacted crop and was stuck in the cage about a week with daily treatments of water, olive oil mixed feed, crop massages, etc.

Her crop never totally went back to normal after that. It's always been noticeably pendulous. It could be a genetic thing handed down to her or it could have been from it being enlarged for too long and permanently stretched it out. I assume it was the first and that's how she went sour the first time, the shape of her crop made it difficult to handle all the grass she gorged on. I have to consider that it's also my fault for letting the grass get too long or "letting" her eat the pine shavings. However she got like that I want to make sure she has the best life possible.

I always have an eye on her. Now that she's laying she's much easier to catch to cop a crop feel and make sure it's not in a bad state. Usually it's pretty noticeable even from a distance that she's having problems. She gives signs like neck twitching trying to adjust food in her crop etc. I found the crop bras on websites while researching more permanent solutions to her issue. I have read about making them out of men's socks, which I may attempt as I'm afraid the elastic bands on some of the ones people sell online might rub and cause her pain. I just hate to think she'll always be uncomfortable wearing one. I don't mind babying her when she "goes sour". As I mentioned before sometimes I make her vomit for a few minutes, she clears out totally and then she doesn't have the issue again for many weeks. About every other month she gets one that's worse than usual or that I don't catch early enough and she ends up in the cage.

I used to feed all the girls kefir or yogurt every morning because of Ely's issue but switched to fermented feed hoping it would do just as well. I don't think her crop issue occurred any more frequently than when she was eating yogurt every day so I think it's working OK. When she's in quarantine she gets ACV in her water but I don't give it daily like many people do because I waste a ton when I change the water bucket in the run every day. Maybe when I finally get my PVC drip feeder working properly I'll start adding ACV since I won't be changing the water every day.

The whole in-patient treatment has made her a very cuddly chicken. She's my lap girl and actually seems to like the crop massages. Sometimes it looks like she's going to fall asleep during it. :)

Or a nice breeding coop for a pair or trio or a brooder set up.... ;-)
That's what I was telling my husband but he's not having it! I also have this run I should probably get rid of. It's 4x8x4 and covered with plastic hardware cloth. I was going to use it to extend my small coop but my girls are free ranging now so I don't use it.

That's what I was telling my husband but he's not having it! I also have this run I should probably get rid of. It's 4x8x4 and covered with plastic hardware cloth. I was going to use it to extend my small coop but my girls are free ranging now so I don't use it.
Oh man, that would make an amazing enclosure for a rabbit colony, too! Well, maybe not with plastic cloth now that I look back over it, but the ideas are flyin'!

Well boy have i been missing out! Glad to see everyone doing fairly well! Its been a long couple of weeks! The chicks are all starting to grow big but unfortunately I lost my turkey to blackhead disease

Needed to reduce my feed bill so I rehomed 2 of my 3 bunnies and one of 3 chicks from my brooder. I might rehome a hen or two next month....we will see who starts laying. My youngest (aside from the 2 in the brooder) are now over 4 months, and 2 are about 5 months (no eggs yet) and my oldest is a polish & she is laying but not regularly since it got cold up here in the mountains! If my EE and Wellie don't drop some eggs soon they are on the top of my list to go!

Last edited:
My hens are strange right now in that they eat very little feed, go to bed very early and spend the day just taking dirt baths and or sitting in the warm sun.

NO EGGS IN OVER A WEEK !
I did save some up because I knew this would happen in the 30 degree nights and short days. And me OH MY , I am already dreaming of the type of chicks that I want in the spring. And........I may not be able to wait until the weather is warm as in May. Oh dear I was hoping to break this chick dependence cycle. Maybe next year I'll go cold turkey.
gig.gif

Went on the tour yesterday and saw some interesting set ups. It was really cool to be in neighborhoods I have not ventured into before. The exciting thing for me is that my DH, who didn't want anything to do with chickens, now wants to add some barred rocks since he saw them on the tour
ya.gif

Well Scott processed our Thanksgiving turkey tonight. After he was dressed he weighed in at just over 20lbs. All the kids decided they wanted to watch. It took me forever to get them to stop calling it a chicken. I don't think it seeped in the head because not 2 minutes later they called it a chicken.
They held the heart and touched the other inners. Asked lots of good questions and pretty much got an anatomy lesson. Cut open the heart and showed them the chambers. I will say that I am very proud of each of them.

Went on the tour yesterday and saw some interesting set ups. It was really cool to be in neighborhoods I have not ventured into before. The exciting thing for me is that my DH, who didn't want anything to do with chickens, now wants to add some barred rocks since he saw them on the tour
ya.gif
Were there any west valley coops? I've never understood why they don't post approximate locations.

Back
Top Bottom