Arizona Chickens

Weather report for 86047 !!! three inches of snow during saturday and sunday. City streets flooded but mostly dry by monday afternoon. SOIL is wonderfully wet ! Now if I can find the itme to get out there and od some work before it get crazy again.

Well I own ten acres in Apache County if anyone wants to homestead. It is along the AZ/NM border in the north mesa area and there is a good amount of rain there. Cattle country but I do know some folks who live there and grow gardens and raise chickens. I bought it thinking that I would go camping in the summer but my four wheel drive needs a new switch before I can haul my camer out there.
sad.png
The road is only three miles off the highway but the soil is sandy and the rains causes big problems. Anyone know where I can get a replacement switch for my 92 Ranger ?

http://www.groworganic.com/omega-3-chicken-forage-blend-irrigated.html

You can overseed your lawn with it, Demosthine did it he would be able to comment on its success.  Mine was not on existing grass.  I had no issues with birds for some reason.  Most of the seeds germinate very quickly, I had some sprouts after 2 days.

I have no idea how long Tim was growing his, but I know mine started several weeks afterwards, so I may not have gotten as good of germination rates. I have enough left over that I'll seed again this spring.

I overseeded my Bermuda grass with this blend and then put down about a quarter inch layer of aged horse manure. Watered it well every few days and kept the chickens off it for about a month. I think it rooted great and will finish growing in nicely. So far, my rabbits, chickens and turkeys seem to love it.

Like Tim, the wild birds were a non-issue. Covering it with manure may have helped my situation, too though. I ordered a large batch of seed from the site Tim referenced and split it with him and Lady.

Beauties all of them but that one is a Roo - he's gonna have a super tail too!!

He's a roo. Can you show us a better picture of the one on the far right too? It also looks suspicious.

Definitely a roo. See the large, red comb and wattles? And the hackle and saddle feathers? All indicative of a boy.

Thanks for the conformation! It was the first time I'd seen any behaviors indicating a Rooster, but we weren't sure before. The one to the right looks fairly similar but with a slightly smaller comb, so probably one as well. They both have beautiful green tail feathers. I wasn't sure if the were though because the laying hen is a leghorn, but her comb is just as big as his. Was pretty sure with that behavior of his today though.

Eggs move.... There is one of my girls that will kick out my dummy egg. Today I did not put it back. When I got home tonight, guess what! It was back in the nest. One of my girls tolled it back in. I tool it out of them box, they really do not need it. But it is ever so interesting. My nephew, Chis's wife Lisa, tol me she knows a man that has has a pet chicken for about 8 years, they have a car set all made up for her. She said now she can tell him she has a chicken named after her, and show him the picture of her that I gave Lisa of Lisa the chicken.

OK, I just went out to check on my one laying hen, and I found one of my reds on top of her, holding her down. I was not sure if we had any roosters because they all seemed to be quiet and fairly calm. No crowing at all from any of them. So is this one a rooster if it was pinning her down like that? Here's some pics: It's the one right in the middle here: [/quote Looks like a roo to me

Hello.
frow.gif
I am new to the community. I thought I would chime in on the most recent post and introduce my avatar. I have used this site so many times but never had found the Where am I? Where are you? forum.

Anyhoo, my input.....definitely a cockerel. Not sure how old but you said not crowing. Looking at the hackles and saddle feathers coming in, longer and pointy...plus the larger comb and wattles....plus mounting tells me you have a cockerel. IMO.

jumpy.gif
Happy Hatching!!! LOL
Hope that was in your plan.....

The road is only three miles off the highway but the soil is sandy and the rains causes big problems. Anyone know where I can get a replacement switch for my 92 Ranger ?
Not sure exactly what switch you are speaking of, as there are likely dozens of different switches in your vehicle, but here are 2 good places to start for replacement parts.

www.rockauto.com also try www.LMCtruck.com

Between those two companies, you should be able to find ANYTHING you need. Let me know if you have any difficulties. I've been tinkering with motorcycles & cars & trucks for a few dozen years, LOL and often have great sources for parts. Plus, my next door neighbor is a mechanic.

Last edited:
Quote:
katmotley, he really looks like a Production RIR cockerel to me. He's a handsome boy. I think he resembles our boy, Rhode Island Rhett. Rhett just started to crow a few days ago, at 19 1/2 weeks. (In the photo he turned 20 weeks.)

All of our 16 roos are calm, pretty docile, hang out together, and seem to get along. We have a few hens that have feisty moments though, so you can't go by personality. A good indicator is his "saddle" feathers- short, thin shiny/ pointy feathers flopping to the side in front of his tail.

Last edited:
FLOWER: you know my situation, my mom, 97, and health fading. The location is perfect, I could still see my daughter once in a while, yet far enough away not the other part of my family very often. I'm in. Rain is exciting in Arizona. Rain means water, water is life. I'm hoping that I have a years left with monther, I will feel free to go any ware after she is gone, while we have her, I'm selfish and want the time.

Planing for the future is a very positive thing and raises the spirit. All of us that are interested should get togather and talk, Flower has offered us an opportunity. For us that are older we would still be in range of doctors and hospitals, for the younger there is schools, as well as home schooling, now that there is so much on computers. Satalit may be the only option. These are the things we can talk over, and figure out inferstructure. What is needed, options, and how to achieve our goal. I know Flower is not overwhelmed with joy at the valley's summer heat, but this is, at this time and because of its location, and if the re is a group not one person, you could leave during the hottest days, provided there are those, as myself that will be there to take care of things. Details can me worked out and mind sets adjusted to a inter-dependent group of people. 10 acres is not really a lot of land, but it is large enough to take care of a small group. And who is to say we would not be able to add more land. For some of us, would mean getting jobs in Masa or Apache Junction, or being creative, there is the farmers market thing to bring in currency into our community. Using methods to incress the productivity of our land. I will lock for the video. There is a family in Cal. That supports themselves on less then an acre of land. They sell there vigitables to chiefs that demand the farm fresh goodness of their food. There are ways to earmark the money's needed to put in solar, water storage, and to stabilize the 3 mile road.

If far enough from the city nights will cool off a little in the summer.

PM me if interested in just getting to gather and talking, meet in a central location. Now that Flower is coming down every month or so we could get to gather and just talk. It is not like we pack up and go right now. It takes planing, thought, and preperation, as will as coming to gather. And even if it never comes to be, we will have learned something and come away richer for the effort.

Remind me what this pasture blend is again? Is it something your order online? Could I overseed my existing lawn with it? Did you need to protect the seed from wild birds before it germinated?

http://www.groworganic.com/omega-3-chicken-forage-blend-irrigated.html

You can overseed your lawn with it, Demosthine did it he would be able to comment on its success.  Mine was not on existing grass.  I had no issues with birds for some reason.  Most of the seeds germinate very quickly, I had some sprouts after 2 days.

When do you over seed.. Our lawn has only a few places to fil in.. By the time we ordered it might be to late.. Also have you tried it in the summer?
When we plant we do it after dark.. Those wild birds think they can come down anytime to forage? Huh I DON'T think so!! We out smarted them again this year..
5th year in a row planting at night with our flood light.. Success.... :weee

Back
Top Bottom