Arizona Chickens

@Stynch and anyone else sick or having surgery...sending healing thoughts your way!
hugs.gif

Greetings Arizona folk. I am here at the suggestion of someone from Tucson here in another thread. So many posts will take forever to run through them. Can anyone suggest a good local breeder around Tucson for a couple silver wyandottes and a few barred rocks. Also will be looking for a rooster to "take care of the ladies" so to speak. If none of the above anything that is good meat & egg production would be splendid. I will bookmark this thread and try to keep up with it as I don't get out much (extremely shy in real life but obviously not online). Look forward to hearing from people, in particular those in Tucson directly.

I have a number of Barred Rock pullets I'm selling. They are culls from my breeding program, but will be perfectly fine for an egg laying flock. Also, if you want a cockerel, probably too late for you to see this post. The last of my extra Barred Rock males are meeting the knife this morning, as soon as I finish feeding all the birds. However, on the chance that you do see the post and are interested, call me (phone # on my website that Mary posted). Probably won't get to the butchering until 10:30 or so. I've also got some extra New Hampshire, Rhode Island Red, Marans, and Orloff pullets, all in lay. Trying to thin my bird numbers down in anticipation of hatching.

It worked! The crop bra worked! Eleanor has been wearing it for about 3 weeks now. I leave her in it all the time, and just make sure it's not rubbing her or making her uncomfortable. She has had a pendulous crop almost her entire life. She's about 10 months. She had her first sour crop issue at only ~4 months old. That's when I realized she had pendulous crop. No matter how persistent I was at keeping her cleared out she never got the elasticity back in her crop and around 6 months started having sour crop more regularly. She laid for almost a month starting at 6 months before the sour crop stopped letting her get the nutrients she needed and caused her to have stress due to quarantine and all the other nonsense I put her through trying to keep her healthy. Well this morning I was VERY happy to find this little beauty in the nest box.

As sad as I was initially that she wasn't a blue laying EE I was sooo ecstatic to see her beautiful cream egg in the box this morning.

Welcome to all the new people!

Can I get some opinions on these two little birdies...Cockerels or pullets. I think pullets based on the hackle and saddle feathers, but those two long tail feathers (just like their dad) have me wondering. Dad is a Black Orpington/Barnevelder mix and mom is Wheaten Ameraucana. Neither has the muffs or beard of their mother. They were hatched 10/24/13, so they are going on 3 1/2 months. They are reddening up in the comb and wattles, too, which seem a little early for pullets. The first two pictures are of the first one and the second two pictures are of the second one. Thank you in advance for your opinions!

Can I get some opinions on these two little birdies...Cockerels or pullets. I think pullets based on the hackle and saddle feathers, but those two long tail feathers (just like their dad) have me wondering. Dad is a Black Orpington/Barnevelder mix and mom is Wheaten Ameraucana. Neither has the muffs or beard of their mother. They were hatched 10/24/13, so they are going on 3 1/2 months. They are reddening up in the comb and wattles, too, which seem a little early for pullets. The first two pictures are of the first one and the second two pictures are of the second one. Thank you in advance for your opinions!

My first instinct is top pullet, bottom roo but I'm no pro. They are very pretty and interesting birds in any case.

It is harder to tell the sex when you are dealing with crosses, but the first one looks like cockerel to me. Comb is extending all the way down to the nares. Second one, I'm not sure, maybe pullet, but I'm not too familiar with the breeds you used in the mix. Tail feathers seem awfully long for pullet.

It worked! The crop bra worked! Eleanor has been wearing it for about 3 weeks now. I leave her in it all the time, and just make sure it's not rubbing her or making her uncomfortable. She has had a pendulous crop almost her entire life. She's about 10 months. She had her first sour crop issue at only ~4 months old. That's when I realized she had pendulous crop. No matter how persistent I was at keeping her cleared out she never got the elasticity back in her crop and around 6 months started having sour crop more regularly. She laid for almost a month starting at 6 months before the sour crop stopped letting her get the nutrients she needed and caused her to have stress due to quarantine and all the other nonsense I put her through trying to keep her healthy. Well this morning I was VERY happy to find this little beauty in the nest box.

As sad as I was initially that she wasn't a blue laying EE I was sooo ecstatic to see her beautiful cream egg in the box this morning.
Great news Twinklin! I know many on here are of the opinion that sick or chronically challenged birds should be culled, but everyone and their reasons for keeping chickens is different. I commend you for learning so much about Eleanor's condition and figuring out a way for her to stay with your small family flock and lead a somewhat normal happy chicken life. And she rewarded you! Congratulations!

I'm guessing both roos. #1 for the very red facial features at his age and as Marcy mentioned the comb extending so far. #2 for the nearly irridescent coloring and length of tail. No expert here either!

I'm guessing both roos. #1 for the very red facial features at his age and as Marcy mentioned the comb extending so far. #2 for the nearly irridescent coloring and length of tail. No expert here either!

Unless you live in California, where you get to claim what your sex is based on which one you prefer to identify with. Just because he may crow, look like and breed like a rooster doesn't mean that's what he is! You better ask HIM before making any culling attempts!

LoL. I just had too!

Speaking of....anyone interested in a black australorp roo? So far thats 3 of my 12 turning into boys and it looks like a barred rock might be swinging that way to.

Back
Top Bottom