Arizona Chickens

Your trees look great. Where did you get your trees from? I've planted a black mission fig and 2 more citrus this year. Next up, apples, another fig, and something from the heritage tree project.

That grass looks like a great blend. I love curly mesquite. And blue grama eyelashes! I was thinking about doing the UC Verde buffalograss when I did my 10x6' area, but $$ and time won out. Sod was cheap, instant, and looked great for months. It's really had to beat $36 for instant lawn!

Yes, that is hard to beat! I put sod in the chicken run every Nov. and it lasts until June. Although it's looking uncharacteristically rough for this early in the season. There is something great about the instant gratification of the sod.

I hadn't seen that UC Verde buffalograss before. I wonder if it requires less water than the buffalo grass in Thunder Turf mix I got?

I think just about all of our trees came from Mesquite Valley Growers. What kind of fig are you looking to get? I'd love to have all of the trees from the heritage tree project. Right now I only have a quince from them.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

What's the best feed store in the Tempe / Phoenix/ Scottsdale area? Our local Scottsdale Livestock has a few chicken things but it's not their specialty.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

What's the best feed store in the Tempe / Phoenix/ Scottsdale area? Our local Scottsdale Livestock has a few chicken things but it's not their specialty.

Thanks!

We were going out to Western Ranchman on Bell. They're nice and we still go there for DE and shavings but for feed, treats, waterers and that sort of stuff we go to

Pet Club Paradise Valley
13637 N Tatum Blvd
Phoenix, AZ 85032
(602) 992-0088

They Pet Club on Frank Lloyd across from the Target has 2 basic types of feed and scratch and that's it. The one on Tatum has a lot more stuff including small pre-made coops. They have the Nutrena Nature Wise that we use for the girls in pretty much every type, chick, crumbles, pellets and I think even organic.

Just had our first hawk scare. It didn't make an attempt at the girls but I was sitting in the sunroom with the sliding door open and heard a hawk squawk. I went out and saw it sitting on top of the light post that overlooks our backyard. I stood in the middle of the yard so it saw I was there and then lured the girls into the run and it flew off. I'll be keeping them in the run for a few days for sure.

Hey guys,

What's the best feed store in the Tempe / Phoenix/ Scottsdale area?  Our local Scottsdale Livestock has a few chicken things but it's not their specialty.

Thanks!

We love Tempe feed and tack.. I do believe there is a Mesa feed barn on b
Brodway & Mesa drive.. Not exactly sure.. They never seem to have to many breeds.. So I went to Pratt's in Glendale,
not to fond of the baby chicks.. A great selection, just make sure you have antibiotic on hand for the sick ones.. This is the 2nd time
we have received sick chicks from them.. A real bummer for someone just starting out with no knowledge.. I can not image my child's face when
they find it dead.. Glad I had some antibiotic on hand..

Normally when you order they do have minimum or they will charge you the same for 7 chicks as 15 chicks.. Do you know if
this is how they do it? If so I am sure someone will go in on it with you for the extra chicks..

They have a $25 minimum order and then there are some extra charges for not filling the box. It isn't bad, playing around with the shopping cart I got 9-10 pullets with shipping and all and it ran me like $43. Not a bad price to pick your exact breeds.

We love Tempe feed and tack.. I do believe there is a Mesa feed barn on b
Brodway & Mesa drive.. Not exactly sure.. They never seem to have to many breeds.. So I went to Pratt's in Glendale,
not to fond of the baby chicks.. A great selection, just make sure you have antibiotic on hand for the sick ones.. This is the 2nd time
we have received sick chicks from them.. A real bummer for someone just starting out with no knowledge.. I can not image my child's face when
they find it dead.. Glad I had some antibiotic on hand..

Would you mind going into detail? How did you know they were sick and what antibiotic to use? Did you give them to a broody or are you keeping them separate? How do you know they won't infect your flock? Sorry for all the questions! How are they doing now?? And what did you end up getting? Maybe I should just call you. :rolleyes:

I found more cat poo in our front yard garden this weekend. I have now decided to add to the number of pot to grow from..
Durring the summer in the smaller pots I might do seasonal flowers.. Has anyone tried that?
Happy spring to you too..
wee.gif

I do seasonal flowers. Small pots can be tricky, they heat up a lot in summer so locate them where they get morning sun and afternoon shade if possible. Portulacas or moss rose are stunning all summer long, I don't even plant anything else during summer anymore for color.
Yes do post photos..
thumbsup.gif

"Inside" part of coop under patio. Lattice, wardware wire and shade cloth make up the outside wall for maximum ventilation and shade. There is a large tree on the other side of the outer wall for more shade.

"Outside" part of the coop with the run on the right behind the gate to keep the dogs and tortoise away from the chickens. You can see the green netting over the run near the top of the gate.

Looking down the run from just inside the gate the coop is on the left, pallet composters back right, chicken sand box left of the other gate. The run is about 16X 35 feet and is the entire side yard. Green netting is visible.

Closer view of south end of run. My DH wanted this end of the run cover removable so he used welded wire and pvc supports which are easier to take down for temporary access, or so he says.
roll.png

View from the other side shows where the netting is attached to the house with small loops and agro line. Netting and agro line are from American Nettings. They had the best selection and prices on UV resistant nettings. We didn't want to have to replace netting every year from UV degradation.

The girls getting used to their new run. Prior to this day they only had a small 6x6 covered area so this took a bit of getting used to. It took a couple of hours before they were brave enough to venture into the length of the run, and run they did! For the first time they actually did get to run and it was great fun to watch them with their new freedom. Now with the large covered run they get to free range more and they are as safe as we could make them. The predators can pick on the neighbors' chickens and leave mine alone.

Hey guys,

Thanks!
Tempe Feed and Tack on University between Mill and Priest. They don't carry chicks but have a good variety of feeders, waterers, and have non-gmo, conventional and organic feeds for most species of animals. Their employees are always helpful and the owners will special order items if you need something they don't have.

Just out of curiosity I checked all the feed stores, Lowes, Home Depot and any other suppliers of watering supplies and there's not one of these stores up here that carries any kind of nipple waterers. They all told me it's because they don't do well in our winter freezing temperatures, pipes all freeze. Only in the valley where it's warm all the time.

Back
Top Bottom