Arizona Chickens

Sorry everyone who's lost chickens to the heat.  Mine have deep shade in their run and the coop is well shaded and ventilated so they haven't looked too heat stressed.  Will get some misters up soon.  They really love wading in the shallow pans of water I have for them in the shade.  They take turns in the water.

I almost lost some quail to a roadrunner today.  The door to the cage in my lathe house that I have my extra males in was left ajar after I put fresh water in for them and my two pet doves.  I went outside later and thought I was hearing a wild bird flapping but it was my tiny diamond dove trying to fly back up to the cage (I adopted him as a wing-damaged youngster) as I bent to scoop him up I saw two of my quail under the cage, then heard the chickens raising hell.  I look out into the yard to see a big *** road runner not ten feet from my main quail cages and it's eyeballing three more loose quail dust bathing under the cages, not a care in the world!  Coturnix are not the smartest of domestic fowl!  I made the decision to catch the quail under inspection of the roadrunner first so I grabbed my bird net and a broom.  I was able to catch one but spooked another who bolted for the other end of the yard.  Did I mention my DD's American Bulldog was out with me?  He went for the bolting quail so I nabbed his head with the net, then grabbed him by the collar still with one quail in my other hand. (It was a good thing my terriers were not out as they would have gotten that bird and probably all the others too.)  I get the dog into the house and quail in hand into the cage then turn around to see what happened to the other two quail in the yard. I didn't see the roadrunner anymore but the one quail is STILL dust bathing and the one that bolted is trying his best to make it back to the covey, probably to continue his dust bathing!  I quit trying to use the net since that seemed to be scaring them and just picked them up by hand and put them back with their brothers.  The two loose in the lathe house were still there so I was able to catch them too and get them back in with the others.  All accounted for and the roadrunner didn't get any.:tongue

Lessons learned? 

Listen when the chickens are raising hell.  They were trying to warn me there was a predator in the yard that didn't belong there. Duh!

Quail, at least mine, are less afraid of me catching them by hand than a scary net trying to "kill" them.

Loose quail want to stay by their covey.

Quail are stupid and will dust bathe even when they are about to become dinner for a roadrunner or a bulldog. 

Also, the quail were lucky I had but up a wire barrier to keep the dogs away from the quail poop (evidently a real canine delicacy) as this kept the roadrunner and dog from easily grabbing one of the escapees.  I'm sure if the barrier had not been there I would have lost at least one bird, maybe more.  Though the barrier is open at the top and slightly on the sides it was enough to foil the roadrunner's dining plans and the dog's chance at a real live play toy.

Anyone know a way to keep roadrunners out of the yard?:( I'm sure it will be back!
l

Girl you are blessed.. Road runners have free range of any area.. The only thing I could think is keep your dog out.. our other dog did nothing durring our other dog going for the flock.. Our other dog loves hanging with the flock..
I just feel so awful.. With the kids home and being busy them them all comming/going, cooking & watching a movie last night I did not double lock the gate as I always do.. Right above the gate is where the teens are sleeping.. They shuffle & make noise as they are getting up on & off the palm fronds/gate/rope area.. So
that spells dinner to our dogs..

I tried a small swamp cooler, but they didn't like the wind it put out. I just make sure they have access to cool areas (under the porch is great....they love it there.) and plenty of water and shade. They take care of the rest. No corn or scratch in the hot weather. Cool foods like melons, refrigerated grapes and berries (they LOVE grapes!) I keep stuff in the fridge for them so they can have a cool treat. Even frozen juice cubes in a bowl...mmmm. Apples cut into bite size chunks, any kind of fruit or veggie, but if it's too big, you have to chop it for them. They like citrus too if you cut it open for them. They don't like getting citrus oil from the peels on their beaks. they love ice cream, yogurt, cream cheese, regular grated cheese, sour cream, even plain milk. The calcium is great for the egg shells. and don't forget to grind their egg shells and feed them back. You can just dump it on the ground....they need the grit and the calcium. I hose down the yard once in a while, but not often. mostly just to keep the dust down. I have a trough out in the back that has grey water from the kitchen sink that feeds into there....they love to wade in it. it keeps their feet cool and clean. I don't mist because I have found they don't like to get their feathers wet even when it's scortching hot...i think they steam then (lol). My chickens are allowed anywhere in the yard they want to go, so they find their own cool places. There's plenty out there for them so I don't worry much about it.  

So glad you are on & :welcome

Here is a pic of the other end of the greenhouse, with the fish tanks..... Koi in the brown IBC, tilapia in the grey one. The reason for the center walkway is that there is a 300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank buried under the first growbed on the left for a sump tank. The only fish in the sump tank is a foot long plecostomus, he keeps the algae at bay. For covers on the tanks, I made a hinged cover, the back section is leftover opaque pondliner, the front hinged section is shadecloth. As you're looking at this view, I have another uncut IBC outside the greenhouse to the left. At the base of the brown IBC, you can just make out a blue backwash hose that goes thru the concrete block that is turned so the holes are horizontal. I keep the outside IBC full of water and let it dechlorinate, then use it to refill the sump tank evaporation losses.
This is wonderful.. Glad you posted up photos.. :thumbsup

Thank you all for your carrying words.. Still can't believe it.. Our new teen rooster is still limping.. So shoot.. It is all weird how things happen.. Gave our neighbor chickens, plus our other roosters . Now this.. Seems so quite around here..

Lorenzo, Black Copper Marans, 8 months old is still looking for a forever home. I move into Lady KotaDoria's June 6th and he cannot move with me. His 2 brothers have gone to their new homes and for now he is the king of the coop. I was asking $25.00 but make an offer for a rehoming fee. He is a good boy and is taking care of the girls. PM me if interested or if you know anyone that could provide him a home. Thanks Chris
He is beautiful!

Sorry to hear about all the recent losses--

kpgoldstar, the chickens may not have anything to do with the roaches, especially if you're finding them in those numbers. Do you have a manhole near your house? If so, go out in the evening and check it out. Your roaches are probably coming from a source that has nothing to do with you. Hate those things. I live on a cul-de-sace, and we have a sewer manhole in front of our house. Every other summer or so, we'll notice a roach or two inside, and that night will go out and check the manhole...to see roaches by the dozens crawling out. So gross. The city is actually very responsive--a quick call or email request and blammo, they are out there within a day or two with a crew spraying the neighborhood's manholes. Cockroach problem gone.

My EE was already panting this morning at 7am. Gonna be a hot one today.

Last edited:
The aquaponic systems look great. I was thinking of putting in a decorative pond...but looks like I can do something better. The initial sticker price holds me back from aquaponics though.

I have discovered cockroaches!!!! UGH!! Who knew this would be a byproduct of having chickens?? First one I saw was in my guest bath, just a loner that I killed. The big long sewer roach kind. We have never had them before, especially not in my house.

This past week, going out to lock up the girls after dark, I saw a few crawling around in the run area near where I feed. I do FF so they don't scatter it everywhere, but there are still some remnants. I also have watered down the ground so we have moisture where there never was any before. I was a little freaked out when I saw them out there and wondered how on earth the one got into my house!

Last night I put a mouse glue trap outside of the run adjacent to the food trough. We caught about 7 of them!!! EWWWWW! Most were the bronze colored ones but 2 were black. THEN, to top it all off... I fluffed my comforter that we fold onto the floor each night to put back on the bed this morning and there was one inside of that!!!! OMG, I just don't know what to do??? How can there be so many so soon? Where did they come from and how are they getting into my house?

I put another glue trap out tonight, along with a tray of powdered sugar and baking soda. I read a bunch of threads and will also do the glass jar thing with shortening and something sweet in the bottom to see how many I catch. I have been tossing straw in the run so my girls don't have to stand on the hot ground and rocks, but I may have to curb that until I see to what degree my infestation has gotten. I also plan to get some orange guard (??) to spray all around my home entrances. I still just don't know how they are getting in!!

I read DE, cucumbers, etc will also help. Anyone in AZ have any experience with this? Any tired and true remedies to get rid of them for good? So far other than the ones inside I have only seen them at night so the chicks aren't eating or chasing them. I also read about eye worm that they can spread so I'm not planning on letting my girls eat them even after I catch them.

My chickens love cockroaches. We have cockroaches in the yard. They are what everyone calls sewer roaches but we are nowhere near a sewer line. The roaches hang out under flower pots and in the compost pile. I see them most often in the summer when it is humid. The chickens love it when I turn the compost because they get a cockroach buffet. On those rare occasions when I find a roach in the house I catch it and feed it to the chickens.

If you worry about all the parasites and diseases chickens can get (or any other animal for that matter) you will kill all the enjoyment the critters can bring you. Just remember: cockroaches = chicken treats.

Back
Top Bottom