Arizona Chickens

Thanks gonna call now

It worked. The girl who answered the phone said she would ask the manager when/what chicks were coming in on Friday? (sold out now). She came back and asked what breed I was looking for? I told her that I liked the Marans. Puta me on hold and the manager gets on and asks for my name/number. He calls me back and says that they're not getting Marans but gave me the list and Speckled Sussex was one so Friday I will get a few of these. Thanks for the tip. Finally, great Customer Service.

Some friends are moving out of state and are giving me their entire flock of Buff Orps and Black Stars tonight! I'm sad about them leaving (they really were more like family than anything...) but hey, free hens! :weee

Hello everyone ^_^ I've been gone for so long! How is everyone? I'm finally moved into my new place that comes complete with about a hundred and eighty pigeons that I can play with and take to shows! And thanks to @cyborg my chickens have been nice and safe! I've got a nice big set up that holds the chickens and my new goats
Diablo!
And Ducky! (Whom I will get a picture up of later because BYC won't let me add of another picture)

:goodpost:

The coyote didn't even take any. It killed them and buried them around the yard. I found them at 6am and the coyote came back looking for them at 6:30. All 8 were accounted for when my bf collected the bodies.
So sorry this happened to you! Strange that it didn't eat any. Maybe it was full from eating someone else's chickens first?

Rooster collars work great! You can't hear my big Black Orpington roo at all. Plus he sleeps in a small crate at night. I leave the door open and he walks in there all by himself and I close it at night. I let him out around 9 am and he almost never crows. Even when he does you can't really hear it and it sounds pathetic. Lol. It saves me from having to give him to god knows who and he takes care of my hens. The collar did not work for us.. Can you take a video and post?
Hello, I rescued this beautiful rooster to keep him from going to a shelter but I cannot keep him due to HOA/noise. He has been in my kitchen since I got him and doing wonderful. I need a loving family that would like to adopt him. I AM IN APACHE JUCTION, AZ. Please contact me if interested!
This is probably a stupid question, but here goes... For any of you guys who have had your chickens go through a molt before, could you tell me if this is normal? My SS Hamburg roo lost all of his tail feathers and they are growing back very quickly, but where the feathers are emerging from looks weird, like the feather is coming out of a plastic straw. Here's a picture -
Yes normal.. They will grow
Last winter was our first with chickens so I thought I would ask those more experienced....do you provide supplemental lighting in the winter. If so when do you start it and when is it no longer needed? I'm usually for doing things naturally but based on my experience not many of the birds laid in the summer, now they are molting, then if they don't lay this winter it looks like the only time I will consistently get eggs is in spring. I have 5 kids that want some eggs and now that we've had these good fresh eggs I don't want to buy store bought ones (spoiled!). Do you provide winter lighting figuring they've had enough of a break in summer or do you let nature be?
Sometimes we do, not for heat just to make them think it is daytime.. We only do it a bit longer in the evening at their bed time.. Not all the time, They do need a break from laying..

We are having a neighborhood party on October 25th at 6pm.. BYC SEED BOX EXCHANGE
1606 East Apache Boulevard
Even if you do not have seeds come & grab some or just talk chicken..
Bring your favorite dish to share & your own drink.

These are some lotus pond plant seeds from sill.. :frow

The lady at our local feed store asked me today if I wanted some chickens. Couldn't take them because I don't have the coop space. They are blue cochins and there's a rooster in the bunch. Think there's 3 all together. She's getting rid of her chickens because she doesn't have the time any more.

I have been reading more and more articles on this subject. It is becoming alarming, instead of helping breeds BYC movement is degrading the breads. More and more sub-standard chickens are showing up at chicken shows, were they should not even be entered let alone exhibited. I do not object to a BARN YARD MIX class of chickens, or a fancy barn yard mix, but should never be sold as a pure bead. I, being not a breeder it doesn't matter their breeding. I have made up my mind, when I start again, I will bread the best I can find to standard. I am happy to pay the price for a fine bird. I have not spent time on what breeds I will work with as of yet.

Last years state fair poultry show had a rooster claiming to be a buff orpington, I kept looking at it closely until dh asked me why I was so fascinated with it. I told him none of my orps had fully feathered shanks nor any type of feathering on their shanks & the roo looked a lot more like a buff cochin & not an orp at all. It won a ribbon too.

I have been reading more and more articles on this subject. It is becoming alarming, instead of helping breeds BYC movement is degrading the breads. More and more sub-standard chickens are showing up at chicken shows, were they should not even be entered let alone exhibited. I do not object to a BARN YARD MIX class of chickens, or a fancy barn yard mix, but should never be sold as a pure bead. I, being not a breeder it doesn't matter their breeding. I have made up my mind, when I start again, I will bread the best I can find to standard. I am happy to pay the price for a fine bird. I have not spent time on what breeds I will work with as of yet.

My take on this issue is that I do not care if a lot of people are breeding, showing, or selling non SOP chickens. How are they going to learn what good quality birds are unless they can see theirs right next to a better one? How are they going to ruin breeds of chickens more than hatcheries have who pump out thousands of mix breed birds and call them purebred? I think it is great that poultry keeping is popular. A percentage of those people will be interested enough in the poultry to learn how to do it better. I would be worried if it was dogs or cats they were breeding and dropping the culls at the local pound or worse dropping them off in the desert somewhere, but they are chickens. Chickens with comb spurs or wry tails or the wrong color still lay eggs and when butchered still taste like chicken. I do not care what kind of chickens anyone has and I vote for the best of them with my pocket book.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom