Arizona Chickens

well once I get my canner, we will have to learn. We are close to each other, The boys can play and we can can. can can *teeheee*
I have not used a pressure canner, but I have used a water canner. It's easier than you think it is. Often, you will find directions on the internet for free. That's how I canned some pears I got from my neighbor.

I agree. My BRs, BAs, and leghorns don't have much problem with the heat. I would add production reds to that list too.
My EEs and BO have the hardest time.

My smooth EEs have struggled more than my frizzled EEs. While the smooth were panting heavily, the frizzled just kept going about their business, seemingly unfazed.

I agree.  My BRs, BAs, and leghorns don't have much problem with the heat.  I would add production reds to that list too.
My EEs and  BO have the hardest time.

This is most interesting genetically speaking. I have a BA roo that I want to breed with my BR's for BSL's. Both being heat tolerant should produce the same trait in the chicks. Enduring +110° temps in the summer, priceless.

Last edited:
Lost a chicken today :( . I think her neck got broken. Mad at my chihuahua. How on earth did she manage that?! At least I've got some eggs in the bator already.

Last edited:
I really want to check into NN aloha chickens. I know someone was trying to breed them but lost his most promising rooster recently. They are smaller and heat tolerant.

And another new layer this week! Looks like 25 weeks was the magic number for some of my girls to stop being free loaders. This time it was my Olive Egger. I've also caught my little silkie roo successfully mounting some of my ladies so once I start seeing some bullseyes when I'm making breakfast I would be happy to start offering up some Silkie X eggs for anyone who wants to try hatching them out. I don't have space for more birds but I would love to see what some of the mixes would look like.

Cheryl with her new peeps

Back
Top Bottom