Arizona Chickens

Salmonella grows on exposed meat. Not a live chicken..
Great names.. DE is a powder you put our side in their dust bath area.. You can also put it in their dry food.. We also use it in their nesting box's.. Make sure you don't get the kind from Home Depot.. That is not food grade..

That's good to know cause I read on the internet that you shouldn't kiss the chicks cause you could get sick and it said salmonella which confused me but since I'm still learning I thought maybe I know frogs and other reptiles have it on them. And I havnt gotten de yet but I know to get the kind that's white and says good grade.

Hello all. I just moved to Hereford 2 weeks go. I am trying to locate a source for sexed chicks.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
welcome-byc.gif

Did you search your local Craigslist?

Thank you, this is all new to me but so far it's been a lot of fun the babies are adorable and my kids and I just love them we put the coop/ run together even though I know it will be awhile before they go outside. We are looking forward to this journey and I love how much my kiddos love animals in general and they even help me with cleaning their bedding out and getting their food and water such a great experience!
How long have you had chickens
welcome-byc.gif

Raising chicks is an amazing activity for kids!

That's good to know, I don't think we really have predators where I'm at however I have seen a cat or 2 and I don't want the cat to get them, I'll probably just keep them inside for now so I know they are safe. Plus I don't really want to put the heat lamp out there. I bet it is cute to watch them outdoors
1f60a.png
I'm just being an over protective mamma bear I
1f49e.png
These babies. I have their coop/run all set up for them. I know they will eventually go outside but I have to admit I feel kind of weird putting them out since I've always had my animals indoors but yes they will definatly be going out eventually lol
1f61c.png
Cats don't bother adult chickens, but watch them around chicks!

That's good to know cause I read on the internet that you shouldn't kiss the chicks cause you could get sick and it said salmonella which confused me but since I'm still learning I thought maybe I know frogs and other reptiles have it on them. And I havnt gotten de yet but I know to get the kind that's white and says good grade.
I don't worry about salmonella with my backyard birds. They are not crowded and living in poop like the commercial chickens do. Plenty of sun, fresh air and space to range makes for healthy chickens.

Casa Grande here. Just checked the zoning on the property here. GR General Rural. No limit on poultry.lol chicken addict overdose.....love the sound of roosters. Used to raise turkeys. Shame one can not do both. I ramble.... Welcome to BYC

We live in an area zoned "agricultural" and many people around here own chickens (including roosters), goats, cows and horsess. Recently a man from New Jersey moved into the neighborhood...a super nice guy...but he proceeded to complain about all the roosters he always here's crowing from all of the other properties around him. Welcome to the country, sir! I'll take the sound of crowing roosters over police sirens and excessive traffic any day.

Salmonella grows on exposed meat. Not a live chicken..
Great names.. DE is a powder you put our side in their dust bath area.. You can also put it in their dry food.. We also use it in their nesting box's.. Make sure you don't get the kind from Home Depot.. That is not food grade..

Take a photo of this and mail it to him.

Casa Grande here. Just checked the zoning on the property here. GR General Rural. No limit on poultry.lol chicken addict overdose.....love the sound of roosters. Used to raise turkeys. Shame one can not do both. I ramble.... Welcome to BYC

Not sure why you can't do both. I raise both chickens and turkeys. I do keep them in separate pens.

Back
Top Bottom