Arizona Chickens

I would strongly recommend against feeding them corn, even when frozen. Corn actually raises their body temperature. Stick with peas, fruit, etc. Save the corn for the cooler months.

I almost always have fertile eggs if you're interested, but I typically don't hatch during the summer. I've found that it's a little too hard on the chicks. I do have 3 NN chicks that are about 5 weeks old and raised by a broody hen right up until today. This morning she decided they were grown up enough and she had to lay an egg, so she left them in their pen and started living the life of a free hen again. ;)

Oops! Didn't know that. I'll just stick to the strawberries and the cucumbers. Thanks!

I might have to get some eggs from you once I get my new barn built and I have room for some chicks.

Photo post experiment Hey, it worked! For some reason, my phone lost the ability to post pics, but if I select desktop mode, it works again!
He's gorgeous! Look at that coloring!
Yes he is gorgeous, and so are his six brothers. I got lucky and scored these BCM's from @desertmarcy when she was closing out this line. And sorry, but he's NOT for sale! I am keeping this line going, and he's definitely worth breeding. All of these birds tend to more of a mahogany color, darker than most, and I think they are beautiful. Here are some of his brothers....(and a couple of the hens)...

Last edited:
Well we hit 119 today and we got through.......dang is this nerve-wracking! I did save watermelon leftovers for them to eat this afternoon and we have frozen tomatoes for tomorrow. I try to do the produce things that give you 60 lbs produce for $10. Sometimes they have "stuff" not for sale in the back that is for compost or whatever. I get as much as they will give me and freeze it! One time I got 18 melons - the chickens had a ball! We can only do the best we can do and just keep trying. Its hard when the temps are this high. I'll put down some baking soda tomorrow and they will help too.

Well we hit 119 today and we got through.......dang is this nerve-wracking! I did save watermelon leftovers for them to eat this afternoon and we have frozen tomatoes for tomorrow. I try to do the produce things that give you 60 lbs produce for $10. Sometimes they have "stuff" not for sale in the back that is for compost or whatever. I get as much as they will give me and freeze it! One time I got 18 melons - the chickens had a ball! We can only do the best we can do and just keep trying. Its hard when the temps are this high. I'll put down some baking soda tomorrow and they will help too.
Hey Featherpugs - you definitely got that right. We hit 117 this afternoon and right about that time my power went out which of course shut off the well pump and hence the misting system. Couldn't have happened at a better time of course. Anyway power was back on at 7:00 pm so we survived. Boy those Walmart oil pans filled with water really came in handy today. Two of my gals stayed out in the run after dark where it's just very slightly less hot than in the coop, so I left the battery lantern on low so they can see where they're going in case they want to go inside. I'll check on them before I go to bed. I really feel for the gals in this weather. The sad thing was I was more worried about my chickens than my 83 year old Mother, or so she said anyway. I think tomorrow I'm going to come home for lunch to make sure their two water founts are filled with fresh water and ice, and to cut the mister on at around noon. The timer max is 4 hours so that'll keep 'em cool till I get home at 4 and re-turn it back on. I'll tell ya, this is the most brutal temps I remember here since 2007 when we moved here.

I can't thank you enough for the tips to keep my gals cool. I think it's safe to say there's 25 hens that owe their lives to you - they told me to tell you you're a saint!

Which store gives you the produce? I've asked every grocery store around here and they all flat out refuse to let me have or purchased their slightly overripe produce. Very frustrating.

Oops! Didn't know that. I'll just stick to the strawberries and the cucumbers. Thanks!

I might have to get some eggs from you once I get my new barn built and I have room for some chicks.

Sure. Keep my posted. Several of my NNs carry the blue and green egg genes, and still have single combs. I also get some lovely buff barring in some of the boys, and also some feathered shanks. I always breed for favorable temperament, and divide my flock into egg layers vs. meat birds. The pretty colors are a bonus. Here are few of my cockerels/roosters:

I just went out to check my gals and found almost all of them moved out to their attached (secure) run so I re-filled their two 2 gallon water founts with cold water and electrolytes, and refilled their wading pans. They're now wading in them like they were doing today in the afternoon. I thought they couldn't see well in the dark but they seem to be getting around pretty good albeit slower. There's a bright moon tonight and I left a battery powered lantern on the lowest setting in the coop so I think they have enough light to see what's what. Has anyone else's birds spent the night in a secured run during the summer like mine are doing? I don't think it'll hurt anything but I'm worried they might not get much sleep tonight. I wish there was more I could do but I can't think of much else. This is my first summer here with chickens and I'm surprised they've done as well as they have. I think this environment is tough on any poultry or livestock.

Yes he is gorgeous, and so are his six brothers. I got lucky and scored these BCM's from @desertmarcy when she was closing out this line. And sorry, but he's NOT for sale!
I am keeping this line going, and he's definitely worth breeding. All of these birds tend to more of a mahogany color, darker than most, and I think they are beautiful.

Here are some of his brothers....(and a couple of the hens)...

Looking good there. I still have the sire to these, he is a dark mahagony so that's where that color is coming from. I kept one of his sons from last year and one daughter. Are you getting any size on the hens from that line? All mine are way too small, I haven't had a decent sized hen from that line, it is too inbred. I'm still going to try some crosses this fall or winter. Not sure if I'll keep the small hen I still have, most of them went to the freezer after I determined they weren't going to get any bigger.

No, just as you say, the hens are small, but they still lay pretty nice dark eggs, so they earn their feed. They are the only Marans hens I have, so I haven't done any crossing yet.

Back
Top Bottom