Arizona Chickens

That's because the Orpingtons were used in being able to help create the Blue and Splash Australorps that are going on now. It created a little bit bigger Australorp that can produce more than the 5 a week egg that the Orpingtons average. Also, the Orpingtons were part of the mix that the Australians used when they created the Australorps.
That's pretty neat - didn't know that.

Regarding Orpingtons, I have a trio I'm planning to start breeding next month and I'm down here in the valley just above Carefree Highway where it's about 5-10 degrees cooler than downtown Phoenix but it still gets mighty toasty in the summer. The breeder I got them from raises them in Safford which isn't a whole lot different temperature-wise than where I'm at. I hesitated to get the trio initially but he assured me they do as well as any other birds in the heat, and he has a gajillion of them when I went to his property. So I'm pretty sure they'll do ok unless Havasu is a lot hotter than where I'm at. I think if you put pans of water out for them they'll be fine - that's what mine seemed to like the best during the heatwave last summer.

DesertChick - You have a rooster named Bosch, like in Bosch power tools? At the moment I have Hoss, Little Joe, Matt Dillon, and Winston (Orpington) but I'll be keeping one each of the Naked Neck and Brown Leghorn cocks I have so I'll need names for them. I'm running out of 1960's western TV show names so maybe I'll call them Makita and Milwaukee - what do ya think?

Yep! My Bosch router is my favorite power tool, and my inspiration for naming my favorite boy.
wink.png

The rest of my Biel boys were named Galt, Taggert, and Rearden. Any guesses where those names came from?

Last edited:
Oh, and it also helped to put better tails on the Australorps, because the ones that the hatcheries here in the states are selling mostly have those pinched looking tails on them. Breeding the Orpingtons back into them gave them better looking tails, along with the bigger size.
Yep, I can see where that would happen. Gosh I've been reading a lot of material on breeding and genetics and my head has been spinning. Being this is my first year breeding to the SOP I made copies of the SOP for the birds I'm planning to breed (Orpingtons, RIR, and Barred Rocks) and I noted the order of priority with type being first, etc. In all honesty though I really don't know what I'm doing yet - I'm a complete rookie, and I'm terrified of messing up and missing the opportunity I have with the great stock I'm starting with. By the time I figure out what I'm doing they'll probably die of old age. But on the other hand if I don't give her a whirl I'll never learn anything since all book knowledge won't serve me well either. I'll be ok while I'm churning out the first chicks but once I reach my limit I'll have to start making decisions and culling. The hard part is I'm guessing it's going to be hard to judge any offspring that doesn't have obvious defects until they get to be a few months old or older. So I hope I don't cull birds I should've kept and vice versa. How do you handle that? I've heard from many a breeder how some birds they thought wouldn't amount to much really developed well after they were a year old, but since space is a premium I won't be able to keep them all that long.

@ejcrist You have one named Matt Dillion? How about Doc or Festus? Or Maverick?

Yeah I haven't gotten around to those fella's yet. And don't forget the new movies like Mal, Payden, etc., and even go back a little ways to Hondo and those. I feel like John J. Books is near (The Shootist). Yeah I guess the list is endless.

Yep! My Bosch router is my favorite power tool, and my inspiration for naming my favorite boy.
wink.png

The rest of my Biel boys were named Galt, Taggert, and Rearden. Any guesses where those names came from?
So he is a power tool - bless your heart! I was right for once. I could've swore your Monty was really Montelius but now I've been redeemed.

Galt, Taggert, and Rearden? Never heard of 'em. Who are those fellas?

Yep, I can see where that would happen. Gosh I've been reading a lot of material on breeding and genetics and my head has been spinning. Being this is my first year breeding to the SOP I made copies of the SOP for the birds I'm planning to breed (Orpingtons, RIR, and Barred Rocks) and I noted the order of priority with type being first, etc. In all honesty though I really don't know what I'm doing yet - I'm a complete rookie, and I'm terrified of messing up and missing the opportunity I have with the great stock I'm starting with. By the time I figure out what I'm doing they'll probably die of old age. But on the other hand if I don't give her a whirl I'll never learn anything since all book knowledge won't serve me well either. I'll be ok while I'm churning out the first chicks but once I reach my limit I'll have to start making decisions and culling. The hard part is I'm guessing it's going to be hard to judge any offspring that doesn't have obvious defects until they get to be a few months old or older. So I hope I don't cull birds I should've kept and vice versa. How do you handle that? I've heard from many a breeder how some birds they thought wouldn't amount to much really developed well after they were a year old, but since space is a premium I won't be able to keep them all that long.

Since I have heard that the best way to do that is to grow them out for awhile and then pick your best ones to continue your breeding program. If you don't have much room, I would do smaller hatches at a time and then grow them out to see. You're not going to be able to tell much until they are bigger. Keep only your best ones that look closest to the SOP for yourself for future breeding. Check under the wing's too for any discoloring or color bleeds or leakage.

Last edited:
:welcome to everybody new joining this Arizona thread!
:lau homeless depot, lol!

your coop/s look great! while the chicks are still in the brooder, Hubby n i will b building a "hoop coop". we took a look at the HD ones, then the price tags...  yep. def building our own!!!!

doesn't need to be the space shuttle,, doesn't need to cost as much, either!!!!! 

Just a heads-up on the hoop coop - I have to replace the tarp on my hoop coop every couple of months. Even UV resistant ones do not last in the Tucson sun.  If I have to build another coop it will be a regular, wood frame coop with a roof.  They are cheaper in the long run.

I heard shingles or rolled roof are the way to go, but they can make the coop heavier with all the shingles up there. I'm would like to seeing if you could just do like a flat roof design with that thick rubber coating.

Oh I would love you to have him - he is such a beautiful guy and generally very sweet!

So, we have 2 more mature Wyandottes that he leaves alone, an Ameracauna hen that he mounts normally and another Buff Orpington hen that he mounts normally (no excessive pecking or pulling).  However, he seems to not like the other Buff Orpington and just picks on her.  I could handle it if it were just the normal pecking order but he seems to single her out and like to peck her comb, it's become all bloody all the way around. 

He does crow, usually first thing in the morning when we let them out at 7am and then infrequently throughout the day.  He seems to crow the most when we have them out to free range when he is calling all his ladies to him.

If you are seriously interested we would consider keeping him longer than Saturday.  I know the Stock Shop will re-sell him as a pet but I have become so attached it would mean alot more to me if I knew exactly who he was going to.

Anyone have any Ameraucana's or Black Copper Marans? I'm just wondering how well the'd do in the summer heat here in Phoenix. I ordered a couple of each from Whitmore Farms to play around with until I can locate a breeder of birds bred to the SOP. I've never owned a bird that laid blue/green eggs or chocolate eggs but some of my Barred Rocks lay some pretty dark eggs in the beginning of the season. I read Marans don't lay much volume but that just gives me an excuse to get more of them to meet my weekly egg quota. Anyway I'm still learning about them so I'd love to hear any comments/opinions.  

Hello from the City of Maricopa.

I have been raising American Seramas for several years now.  I love them.  I want to increase my flock, so I'm looking at other bantam breeds.  Any suggestions of breeds that would be safe mates for the seramas as they would all be living together?  Would love some varied colored eggs.  

Also, looking to add ducks to my backyard.  Any suggestions for bantam duck breeds?  Anyone raining Ancona's?  Are they too loud for suburbia?

Thanks,
Jack
:welcome

@desertmarcy is near Tucson/Marana area- She is the only Local seller and in my opinion breeder of black Copper Maran chickens/chicks. Message or email her if you're interested. Click on her name and you should be able to message her in byc. My two hens I bought from her for the egg color alone, have done,"really well," here in the hot city of Mesa for my family!- ( they are three years older than when I originally bought them at about a year or 8months old) When I quarantined them I had fed them by hand for a few weeks and they'll come up and eat out of my hand even though they adults( grown pullets) so to speak. I bought two point of lay pullets because I didn't want to raise them thru the chick stage.

Oh, and it also helped to put better tails on the Australorps, because the ones that the hatcheries here in the states are selling mostly have those pinched looking tails on them. Breeding the Orpingtons back into them gave them better looking tails, along with the bigger size.

Desert Marcy also have been breeding barred rocks just FYI @desertmarcy
@ChuskaMtns -She has beautiful orpingtons of all types that she breeds if you're interested. just click on their names and you can private message them. Her fancy Orpingtons are beautiful as well and dual-purpose birds. :cd:D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom