Arizona Chickens

Hi all. Hope everyone is well.

We finally found a house in Va. It has 5 acres total (mostly forested) and I'm getting ready to get everything going.

I have 2 Idaho Pasture Pigs coming at the end of the month and plan to electric fence them an area in the woods and rotate them periodically.

Chicks should be coming soon.

Where should I order my seeds from? I am planning a small maybe 10x10 vegetable garden then I would like to broadcast some crops up in the woods for the pigs. There are a few places where the canopy lets in sun so I'm hoping I can grow clover and chokes or something for the pigs up there. I will rotate them so that the land can recover and crops can regrow.

Looking for advice from all you green thumbs. Mine is slightly brown now. Meaning I don't kill everything, but most everything.
1f629.png

Thanks
Dave

Hi all. Hope everyone is well.

We finally found a house in Va. It has 5 acres total (mostly forested) and I'm getting ready to get everything going.

I have 2 Idaho Pasture Pigs coming at the end of the month and plan to electric fence them an area in the woods and rotate them periodically.

Chicks should be coming soon.

Where should I order my seeds from? I am planning a small maybe 10x10 vegetable garden then I would like to broadcast some crops up in the woods for the pigs. There are a few places where the canopy lets in sun so I'm hoping I can grow clover and chokes or something for the pigs up there. I will rotate them so that the land can recover and crops can regrow.

Looking for advice from all you green thumbs. Mine is slightly brown now. Meaning I don't kill everything, but most everything.
1f629.png

Thanks
Dave

I think that you would do better about asking about seeds and such over in the Va. thread. They have a different climate than we do over here.

I think that you would do better about asking about seeds and such over in the Va. thread. They have a different climate than we do over here.

I figured I'd ask my friends on the Az thread. Don't need gardening advice for my area really , just looking for a recommendation for a place to buy seeds online or at a major store chain. There are some good gardeners in the Az thread.

Seeds of change sells quality, heritage seeds. You can collect seeds from any plant and re-plant them because they are not hybrids. The money also goes towards their research farm and intern programs for college students. Definitely a quality company!

Seeds of change sells quality, heritage seeds. You can collect seeds from any plant and re-plant them because they are not hybrids. The money also goes towards their research farm and intern programs for college students. Definitely a quality company!

Thanks for that. They were one company that kept popping up in my searches.

I figured I'd ask my friends on the Az thread. Don't need gardening advice for my area really , just looking for a recommendation for a place to buy seeds online or at a major store chain. There are some good gardeners in the Az thread.
There's a bunch of places to order online and some are better than others depending on what you're buying. When I used to live in PA I bought mostly everything locally at a place called Hakes Farm Seed (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hakes-Farm-Seed-Service/149873071723009). They were the best for me since they were right around the corner and carried good varieties for our area. I'd check locally first since they'll probably be doing the same. If you want to order online for cover crops I get a lot of stuff from Hancock Seed, but for Garlic I like Forever Young Farms or Seed Savers. For good organic varieties Peaceful Valley Farm Supply in CA is good and their prices are reasonable, and of course there's the big box seed places like Burpee and Territorial. For everything Asian I order from Evergreen Seed. But like I said, it mostly depends on what crops and varieties you want to plant.

There's a bunch of places to order online and some are better than others depending on what you're buying. When I used to live in PA I bought mostly everything locally at a place called Hakes Farm Seed (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hakes-Farm-Seed-Service/149873071723009). They were the best for me since they were right around the corner and carried good varieties for our area. I'd check locally first since they'll probably be doing the same. If you want to order online for cover crops I get a lot of stuff from Hancock Seed, but for Garlic I like Forever Young Farms or Seed Savers. For good organic varieties Peaceful Valley Farm Supply in CA is good and their prices are reasonable, and of course there's the big box seed places like Burpee and Territorial. For everything Asian I order from Evergreen Seed. But like I said, it mostly depends on what crops and varieties you want to plant. 

Thanks for the info. I'm not even sure what I want to plant just yet. My first garden ever was just a couple years ago so this will only be my second attempt at it.

The cover crops I want to sow in the woods for the pigs to munch on. It will all be a learning adventure for me.

Back
Top Bottom