Arizona Chickens

This has been my question too. I've been told that the DE will continue to dry out the parasites, but that only makes sense to me when applied externally to soft-bodied worms or if the parasites ingest the product. I do know that naturalists praise things like DE and bentonite for acting like a sponge in the digestive system, sucking up toxins from the intestinal lining so they can be expelled rather than retained to cause inflammation. I know first-hand that bentonite is very effective when consumed by humans and suspect that DE would work much the same way, but much of it is speculation. I know of no studies proving conclusively that it helps in an internal cleanse.
My understanding is that DE is basically microscopic broken glass. Drying out isn't really the right description. It cuts up their exoskeleton, exposing them to outside "stuff" that the exoskeleton protects them from. So, for an external bug/parasite that might dry them out as one of the effects caused by it. When it gets wet I imagine it could form a crust that those bugs could walk over more safely...
For internal parasites the cuts the DE inflicts could conceivably open them up to the immune system to fight, or to the other bacterias and things in the digestive system that they are usually able to withstand. From what I've read, DE is not a surefire 100% cure for internal parasites. It will reduce the gutload and works well as a preventative, but that's it.

Hi there! I just discovered this thread and have some questions. We have a flock of four, and will be getting rid of 2 that have shown aggression and are still not laying after 35 weeks. We are looking to buy 6-8 more chicks and build an upgraded coop that can accommodate them.

What breeds would you recommend for Arizona heat that lay a lot of eggs, tolerate being picked up, and don't screech their heads off all day?

Thanks in advance!

image.jpeg
@AZchickens17 welcome to the thread! I would definitely recommend the australorp for heat tolerance and egg production. They are hardy and predator-savvy. Mine is only loud when there's a reason to be alerted. There are so many great breeds out there, I also really love Delawares and my leghorn lays like a pro at only 20 weeks.
@BlueBaby can probably tell you much more about the fabulous australorpes :cool:
Here's my black Australorp, Artemis, at about 15 weeks.

I second the Australorps. My girl keeps up with the production reds I have, but does better in the heat it seems.
I would suggest breeder birds from someone local if you can. There's nothing wrong with my hatchery girl, but the breeder birds seem more robust, feathered out faster and are growing faster too. Got mine from @BlueBaby

I second the Australorps. My girl keeps up with the production reds I have, but does better in the heat it seems.
I would suggest breeder birds from someone local if you can. There's nothing wrong with my hatchery girl, but the breeder birds seem more robust, feathered out faster and are growing faster too. Got mine from @BlueBaby

OK. We used to have an australorp, and I am not sure if it was the breeder, but she was always sick and hiding and didn't seem to do well with the heat. Where could I get some?

Welcome @AZchickens17 ! I third australorps but I also recommend naked neck turkens. They take the heat really, really well. Really if you can purchase from a local chicken person the chickens will take the heat better than most. I also have buff orpingtons (which also come in other colors, Lavender is one!) that have done okay in the heat and EEs who are okay in the heat but have some trouble because of their muffs. I have a wellsummer who talks all the time and can tend to be noisy, I also have some sex links which I find can be bossy or sweet as honey that do okay with the heat. I have others as well. Some others that have said do okay with the heat from this board or others I know are Jersey Giants, Javas, Leghorns, red star - we are all in different areas. The biggest thing like I said is to by locally if you can - spring will be crazy with new chicks. On this board @BlueBaby has chicks (now I think), @desertchick and @MagicChicken sometimes have chicks - others too. only lost one 6 year old girl to heat during the 120s we had all summer. They get pans of water to put their feet in, a mud puddle to also cool their feet, loads of shade and during the hot, hot, hot, they have wet areas plus a mister. Believe me you ask and you will find what you need.

Back
Top Bottom