Arizona Chickens

Evening,
I would like to thank you all for your responses over the last couple of months. My three pullets are doing very well with this heat, however, my husband said we have gone way overboard, LOL. I have 2 leghorns that lay an egg every day. My Ameracauna still hasn't yet but randomly squats so maybe soon. When it cools off I was wanting to add 1 more bird, I have read the silky make great pet chickens. Is it possible to only add one? Are there AZ breeders of Silkies? I wish you all well with the summer heat, hope all the AZ chickens stay cool and hydrated:)

Is it possible to only add one?
It is very possible to do so, BUT I always added to my flock of pets, 2 at a time, or more. The newcomers will of course be picked on initially. After a short while, the newcomers will integrate into the flock. When there are 2 new chickens,,,,, they will always hang together (for support). In time past, I have purchased new chickens from separate sellers, and added them to my flock together. Even though those chickens never seen each-other before,,,, they hung together when I added them to my flock.
My newest additions are these 2 Seramas. Sisters BTW, but one from March, and other from May this year.
stor-png.1871037

They always hang together,, but are totally integrated into flock. My total flock is 7 hens now:)
Integration took about 5 days or so.
So, my suggestion,,,, is to do 2 at a time:thumbsup

It is very possible to do so, BUT I always added to my flock of pets, 2 at a time, or more. The newcomers will of course be picked on initially. After a short while, the newcomers will integrate into the flock. When there are 2 new chickens,,,,, they will always hang together (for support). In time past, I have purchased new chickens from separate sellers, and added them to my flock together. Even though those chickens never seen each-other before,,,, they hung together when I added them to my flock.
My newest additions are these 2 Seramas. Sisters BTW, but one from March, and other from May this year.
stor-png.1871037

They always hang together,, but are totally integrated into flock. My total flock is 7 hens now:)
Integration took about 5 days or so.
So, my suggestion,,,, is to do 2 at a time:thumbsup

I agree that it's best while integrating new one's to the flock to have at least 2. That way while the older one's are learning to accept them, they still have a buddy.

50B75F77-BBE3-42FD-A560-FF2CA7E5130B.jpeg
@rghowell anytime we have added a new one even as young as 1-2 months they are their own flock. Not only the pecking order they never seem to fully integrate.. So if I were you get 3-4 more so they will have their own flock.. hope you have the room for that many.. our kitty chicken cheryl (silkie) was the best mom.. They don’t lay as much & go broody out of the all the breeds we have had..

Back
Top Bottom