Arizona Chickens

I know ya’all have seen this, still make me laugh. Enjoy your day
DAF34E80-7A63-4479-994F-1222F76C9DD9.png

I start lock-down on my hatch of Friday for a Sunday hatch.

@rghowell I do have 5 silkies over here, but I think that I will only be keeping 2 of them ( a pullet, and a cockerel) The other 3 that I would sell are related to the cockerel that I want to keep, so I don't want to breed sister's to brother.
I would be interested but I am a bit of a greenhorn so you may need to be specific on the time frame. So, would they be hatching Sunday? I don't know if I am quite ready to start with baby chicks that fast LOL. I have to coax my husband into chicken math. However, he built a palace for a chicken house, enough space for 12 with three nesting boxes. He didn't realize he was overbuilding for our 3 but I sure did, LOL. He has conceded that he very much enjoys the chickens. Thank you again for the reply and let me know on the time frame. From everyone's recommendation, I need to add 2 when adding to a flock. Have a great evening!

I agree with @cavemanrich - at least 2 and I personally like 3. Seems to work best for me. Stay safe out there - its still crazy hot!
Thank you very much for your recommendation and yes it is still crazy hot here in Fort Mohave. I keep watching the 10-day forecast to get back to just 100 and no end in sight for the 110 plus here. Footbath in the coop with misters going strong here to stay cool:)

View attachment 1885508 @rghowell anytime we have added a new one even as young as 1-2 months they are their own flock. Not only the pecking order they never seem to fully integrate.. So if I were you get 3-4 more so they will have their own flock.. hope you have the room for that many.. our kitty chicken cheryl (silkie) was the best mom.. They don’t lay as much & go broody out of the all the breeds we have had..
Thank you so much for sharing your experience, love the picture, especially your pup watching the chickens. I have a boxer that watches over my 3 ladies, even corals them into the hen house when he thinks they need to be in there. I thought he would eat them so it is a nice surprise. Have a great night!

It is very possible to do so, BUT I always added to my flock of pets, 2 at a time, or more. The newcomers will of course be picked on initially. After a short while, the newcomers will integrate into the flock. When there are 2 new chickens,,,,, they will always hang together (for support). In time past, I have purchased new chickens from separate sellers, and added them to my flock together. Even though those chickens never seen each-other before,,,, they hung together when I added them to my flock.
My newest additions are these 2 Seramas. Sisters BTW, but one from March, and other from May this year.
stor-png.1871037

They always hang together,, but are totally integrated into flock. My total flock is 7 hens now:)
Integration took about 5 days or so.
So, my suggestion,,,, is to do 2 at a time:thumbsup
What cuties! Understood, they need the buddy system for integration protection, LOL I actually think my Ameracauna is a bit of a loner, my leghorns run together like little raptors while she meanders quite slowly around the yard. Hopefully, any additions would hang a bit more at her speed.

I would be interested but I am a bit of a greenhorn so you may need to be specific on the time frame. So, would they be hatching Sunday? I don't know if I am quite ready to start with baby chicks that fast LOL. I have to coax my husband into chicken math. However, he built a palace for a chicken house, enough space for 12 with three nesting boxes. He didn't realize he was overbuilding for our 3 but I sure did, LOL. He has conceded that he very much enjoys the chickens. Thank you again for the reply and let me know on the time frame. From everyone's recommendation, I need to add 2 when adding to a flock. Have a great evening!

The egg's that I will have hatching on Sunday are not the 3 silkies that I was talking about. The 3 silkies have been in my grow-out pen out pen, and are already past the baby chick stage. The girl's should be starting to lay in Nov. or Dec.

B821C289-1780-450A-8B86-16D5F3F6C5FD.jpeg
75B82D45-6D96-44A2-B1D6-B28950F34F9D.jpeg
B821C289-1780-450A-8B86-16D5F3F6C5FD.jpeg
Has anyone on here submitted pictures for the 2020 calendar?
Thinking of submitting these 2.. well drat, the cheryl photo is kinda blurry & has text, but have it with no text... and came out 2x. I had 2 of Claire, the Millie fluer, delete 1 and now spell check, ugh no guarantees on what gets posted .

Last edited:
The egg's that I will have hatching on Sunday are not the 3 silkies that I was talking about. The 3 silkies have been in my grow-out pen out pen, and are already past the baby chick stage. The girl's should be starting to lay in Nov. or Dec.
Even better! I am very interested in taking 2 of the silkies then, just let me know when you have decided which you are willing to part with and how much you would like for them.

Back
Top Bottom