Arizona Chickens

I've been reading Joel Salatin's book The Marvelous Pigness of Pigs (this book has a biblical point of view-please diregard this post if this offends you)... he writes...life is so precious that it requires death...everything requires death in order to create life...everything is eating and being eaten...(pg 27)...squirt a dab of [processed food stuff] on a table and it will sit there for a year. It doesn't grow mold...it just sits there inert...it's not alive. We're the first culture...routinely eating things that have never lived...then requesting prayer for the ailments that result. (p 29).

You got me curious, as I had not heard of that guy before. I googled and found that he has written several book's. One book that I have eyeballed was titled "Everything that I want to do is illegal."

You got me curious, as I had not heard of that guy before. I googled and found that he has written several book's. One book that I have eyeballed was titled "Everything that I want to do is illegal."
That is one of his best. It is about having too many laws for a small-time chicken (or other) farmer to possibly comply with.

:frow Afternoon everyone, surviving the heat? it's 12:30 and 104 already, been out in the chicken coops, got everyone taken care of for food and water, who's had broodies recently that might have been talking to my girls again? Midnight my last broody from the past couple of months, hatched her 5 chicks, they are out running around and growing like weeds. About the 17th, I started noticing broody poo's again.. lol, then one of my hens started hissing at me, she's corrupted Red, got her broody, so now I have two girls sitting in this heat. Still looking for a name for the newest girl. Think I am going to have to pick up another fan as a back up. I've got one in there right now that is turned on the broodies to try and help keep them cool. I know that they are getting down, eating, drinking, dust bathing etc.. when I take melon out to them, they are generally in their boxes, so I give them a couple of pieces. To help with hydration. Everyone has slowed down on their laying, but that is understandable. I would not want to be laying in this heat either. How are your flocks doing?

:frow Afternoon everyone, surviving the heat? it's 12:30 and 104 already, been out in the chicken coops, got everyone taken care of for food and water, who's had broodies recently that might have been talking to my girls again? Midnight my last broody from the past couple of months, hatched her 5 chicks, they are out running around and growing like weeds. About the 17th, I started noticing broody poo's again.. lol, then one of my hens started hissing at me, she's corrupted Red, got her broody, so now I have two girls sitting in this heat. Still looking for a name for the newest girl. Think I am going to have to pick up another fan as a back up. I've got one in there right now that is turned on the broodies to try and help keep them cool. I know that they are getting down, eating, drinking, dust bathing etc.. when I take melon out to them, they are generally in their boxes, so I give them a couple of pieces. To help with hydration. Everyone has slowed down on their laying, but that is understandable. I would not want to be laying in this heat either. How are your flocks doing?
Mine are still yelling to be let out of their coop only to pile up and nap once i do let them out.. :th
20200725_142433.jpg

I know that these pictures aren't the best, they are off facebook from a lady looking to part with part of her flock, she's asking 20.00 each and a friend of mine is thinking about buying, this polish from what I can tell looks to have the feathers drooping off to the sides like most Roo's do in front of the tail. The silkie looks to have a spiky hair do and the you-tubes I've watched say that is a indication of a Roo.. any clues?

1595794582317.png
1595794602397.png

I know that these pictures aren't the best, they are off facebook from a lady looking to part with part of her flock, she's asking 20.00 each and a friend of mine is thinking about buying, this polish from what I can tell looks to have the feathers drooping off to the sides like most Roo's do in front of the tail. The silkie looks to have a spiky hair do and the you-tubes I've watched say that is a indication of a Roo.. any clues?

View attachment 2263095View attachment 2263102
Hmmm the silkie i can't tell... but the polish has the crazy boy crest going on.

Hmmm the silkie i can't tell... but the polish has the crazy boy crest going on.
Thank you.. I've warned my friend if she wanted them, no more than 5.00 a bird.. I don't believe the young lady knows what she's got.. I think she might have been told when she got them that she was getting all hens. Some will fall for that I'm afraid.. I've got my little silkies. they aren't old enough to crow or lay yet, but if the you-tubes I've watched are right, I've got 5 cockerels and a pullet... 4 are tote mates I'd bought for Lucky as day old Chicks and two I hatched..

Thank you.. I've warned my friend if she wanted them, no more than 5.00 a bird.. I don't believe the young lady knows what she's got.. I think she might have been told when she got them that she was getting all hens. Some will fall for that I'm afraid.. I've got my little silkies. they aren't old enough to crow or lay yet, but if the you-tubes I've watched are right, I've got 5 cockerels and a pullet... 4 are tote mates I'd bought for Lucky as day old Chicks and two I hatched..
Where is she located?? There are a few legit breeders locally on Facebook that i was considering (if mine turned out to be Males). Cute bantams.. silkies, polish, frizzles.

Can you post your silkie pics?? I feel like i got pretty good at figuring them out after my bout of OCD with mine!

Back
Top Bottom