Arizona Chickens

Well, if you find a place that has the hatching egg's for those Dorking's let me know. I want those Dorking's even if I have to hatch them out myself.
They will update the site when there is more info. I bet they send them on the next date they gave me. Shipped eggs often have a low hatch rate, so I hear. When I placed this order, in Jan, I had plans for the summer and asked for the latest hatch date they offer. I ordered early, since they are often sold out of the popular breeds. Looks like they still have some Light Grey Dorkings on the web site, though. Those are not popular due to not admitted to the APA, so the show people do not want them. I almost ordered them, they would be a good sex-link hen with a red rooster. But I like the Reds the best from the photos I have seen. And he says they are good layers in the winter.

Now I know why I keep a roo (even though I can'r turn my back on him)... just saw what my NN roo has been warning the girls about...a whole nest of hawks (I've seen 3 full size hawks) in the tree above the abandoned pig pen very close to the chicken coop/run. We just covered the run in aviary netting a couple weeks ago because I know we have owls and hawks and big crows hunting in the fields for rabbits. I may need to move the flock to the wire covered winter coop - but it needs alot of work - we have yet to use it in 4 years and it was run down before that.
20200812_070938.jpg

Now I know why I keep a roo (even though I can'r turn my back on him)... just saw what my NN roo has been warning the girls about...a whole nest of hawks (I've seen 3 full size hawks) in the tree above the abandoned pig pen very close to the chicken coop/run. We just covered the run in aviary netting a couple weeks ago because I know we have owls and hawks and big crows hunting in the fields for rabbits. I may need to move the flock to the wire covered winter coop - but it needs alot of work - we have yet to use it in 4 years and it was run down before that.
View attachment 2287260

Yikes! If you put them in the other older coop, make sure that there is no way that a determined hawk can get in there for dinner. Even a nice rooster would warn the girl's. Too bad there isn't a way to remove that hawk's nest so that they can't hatch more little hawk's in it.

Yikes! If you put them in the other older coop, make sure that there is no way that a determined hawk can get in there for dinner. Even a nice rooster would warn the girl's. Too bad there isn't a way to remove that hawk's nest so that they can't hatch more little hawk's in it.
Yes I wish we could do something about the hawks but can't touch raptors legally. So I'm glad there are rabbits for them in open fields all around to distract them a little. The old coop is pretty good against aerial predators but needs fortification from ground threats - "Coyote Bob" wanders thru regularly in the past, 2 skunks digging around at dawn/dusk now, and a family of cats that hang out near the skunk. Life on the farm is so much fun!

Yes I wish we could do something about the hawks but can't touch raptors legally. So I'm glad there are rabbits for them in open fields all around to distract them a little. The old coop is pretty good against aerial predators but needs fortification from ground threats - "Coyote Bob" wanders thru regularly in the past, 2 skunks digging around at dawn/dusk now, and a family of cats that hang out near the skunk. Life on the farm is so much fun!

A bow and arrow make's no noise. ;)

We are about a mile as the falcon flies from Thumb Butte.
1597257903943.png

I have seen them circling, and the crows here go crazy when one is around. This is why the big metal cage! Sorry, no free range here.

We are about a mile as the falcon flies from Thumb Butte. View attachment 2287421
I have seen them circling, and the crows here go crazy when one is around. This is why the big metal cage! Sorry, no free range here.

I don't blame you. I wouldn't want a hawk or falcon flying off with any of my investment neither.

Wow, I was hoping that the NN were better in the heat.
Well, considering that mostly what you find these days are barnyard mixes I'm not surprised. The NN with the bare chests and necks don't have as many feathers in general over their whole body vs those with bibs and feathers up to the neckline. Based on my plucking experience anyway.

Back
Top Bottom