Arizona Chickens

@CaroleW Just left here a while ago with her car loaded down with 3 cockerel's and the daddy Rooster Roger. While she was here, one of the White Rock pullet's was over by the grow-out cage that the Silver Gray Dorking's are in. One of the Silver Grey Dorking's decided that she wasn't going to have that and was trying to peck at the White Rock through the cage. It was sort of funny to see it, since the White Rock is about a month older and bigger than the Dorking is.

Sprinkle a little bit of the dry on top of the wet but not much, and see if that helps to get them to try it.
I sprinkled some on the brooder floor, they like to throw the other food there, then eat it.. but they seemed to eat around it. Im going to try to hand feed them tomorrow. Two are running up to me now.. so they have associated me with food 🤣

Roger (from BlueBaby) in the greenhouse waiting for rooster vacancy in flock.
20200928_112626.jpg

Roger's soon-to-be flock and coop/runs
20200928_113248_HDR.jpg
20200928_113256_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I'm running across problems turning the shed into a chicken coop, mainly in attaching a run. Yesterday the ground got extended so there'd be room before the dropoff where a run could be built, but the soil is not solid enough to where I'd think a run would last for very long. There's still a dropoff that could erode back toward the pen. Then there's an apple tree that would prevent putting a top on the run, which I'd need with predators. I've seen coyotes, fox, and a hawk, and there's a bobcat nearby.

With eggs in the incubator that will go into lockdown tomorrow, I wanted a coop. So I checked for ads, and found a used one of these for sale for $275. https://roostandroot.com/product/round-top-backyard-chicken-coop/#1-choose-standard-or-xl-model-coop

He's supposed to deliver it this afternoon or evening. If I ever get the shed turned into a coop, this one can be used as an extra or quarantine coop. Now I need to know the best way to sanitize it before use.

I'm running across problems turning the shed into a chicken coop, mainly in attaching a run. Yesterday the ground got extended so there'd be room before the dropoff where a run could be built, but the soil is not solid enough to where I'd think a run would last for very long. There's still a dropoff that could erode back toward the pen. Then there's an apple tree that would prevent putting a top on the run, which I'd need with predators. I've seen coyotes, fox, and a hawk, and there's a bobcat nearby.

With eggs in the incubator that will go into lockdown tomorrow, I wanted a coop. So I checked for ads, and found a used one of these for sale for $275. https://roostandroot.com/product/round-top-backyard-chicken-coop/#1-choose-standard-or-xl-model-coop

He's supposed to deliver it this afternoon or evening. If I ever get the shed turned into a coop, this one can be used as an extra or quarantine coop. Now I need to know the best way to sanitize it before use.
What if you add some sand (to level) and put those very large cement pavers on top of the soil? Then you can still build out your run, extending the wire on the ground surrounding it w some rock on top? Even if your chicks hatch, you have a few weeks while they are in your brooder. (Just me thinking out loud, ignore anything that just won't work).

guesssss whatttttttt... all the girls were super happy and LOUDDDDDD.... i went and checked.... we got our first egg!!!!! Pretty sure it was Daisy Mae... but the silkies were the excited crowd!! She left it right where i had placed the basket w the fake egg!!
20200929_111455.jpg
20200929_111611.jpg

So now im extra happy i got the crushed oyster shell last week... and my basket idea didn't work (it fell over) so i need to come up with something else for her NOW 😂

Back
Top Bottom