Arizona Chickens

Morning everyone,
I just got back inside from having to put a tarp over my covered roost. I had noticed in the rain, that the roof had a seam and was leaking. I split the work into two sessions because the last side was right over the nest box and someone was laying her egg. I don't dare even think, though, that It'll be nice when it warms up! I'd take a return to above freezing and no rain and no 8 inches of snow that's forecast, but still enjoying the break from the 100 degree days (except for the few moments freezing my but off winterizing and caring for the flock).

Good afternoon AZ. I happened upon a golf cart for sale near my neighborhood last night and it was still there this morning so we went and got it. I literally drive down to walmart or the gas station maybe once or twice a week and work @ home so this’ll be a nice little vehicle to hop in. It’s not like the a/c cools off by the time we get over there so no point in bothering with that. Cheap on insurance too, less than $100 for a year! We got it home and tarped before the rain hit, which was just a quick downpour and then gone. The duck house is ready for the newbies when they arrive this week. I’m housing them with the bigs and using NIC grids as a barrier to divide the house in half. Runner ducks seem pretty easy in that regard compared to chicks. Anyway, time to get some dinner started. Stay warm and dry all.

Well, crap. Housemate/landlord (same person) finally decided that building a coop and keeping laying hens is too expensive for her (times are a bit lean here financially). I can't afford to do it all on my own, so the whole thing has been shelved.

I am very sad. 😢
I'm sorry for you. I cancelled my order of new chicks for the spring because the hubs is too stressed over the finish work we have yet to do on our house. So ours has been shelved too--at least for now. Hang in there. Maybe good changes are in the future!

Good afternoon AZ. I happened upon a golf cart for sale near my neighborhood last night and it was still there this morning so we went and got it. I literally drive down to walmart or the gas station maybe once or twice a week and work @ home so this’ll be a nice little vehicle to hop in. It’s not like the a/c cools off by the time we get over there so no point in bothering with that. Cheap on insurance too, less than $100 for a year! We got it home and tarped before the rain hit, which was just a quick downpour and then gone. The duck house is ready for the newbies when they arrive this week. I’m housing them with the bigs and using NIC grids as a barrier to divide the house in half. Runner ducks seem pretty easy in that regard compared to chicks. Anyway, time to get some dinner started. Stay warm and dry all.
So many neighbors have golf carts here, they are not retired but young, the kids even drive them around. I really want one, maybe someday.. Lots of rain here the last few days, looking forward to seeing the wildflowers come up.

About 4-5 inches of snow this morning, and still falling.
20210124_114130.jpg
20210125_085606.jpg

We got some rain here yesterday morning, but it has soaked into the ground pretty fast as it was so dry.
Its a soggy sinking mess where I'm at (west valley). But my flower seedlings 🌱 are growing insane!! The dogs hop from paver to paver when they need to go out tho 😂

The chickens have a sight to my kitchen windows where the blinds are always open.. but It was dark enough outside that they slept in til almost 9!!

Back
Top Bottom