Arizona Chickens

Same thing happened to me a few days ago...

Now you know why I have egg's in the incubator, and the broody hen is trying to hatch plastic egg's. I would put her in a wire dog crate, but both of them are currently occupied. Manoa's crate will be vaccant soon though.

Now you know why I have egg's in the incubator, and the broody hen is trying to hatch plastic egg's. I would put her in a wire dog crate, but both of them are currently occupied. Manoa's crate will be vaccant soon though.
I slacked on collecting eggs for a few days and now I have 5 broodys: 1 turkey, 2 bantams, 1 Orp and 1 Welsummmer. I am trying to break the Welsummer because she is very skidish and she might imprint on her babies and make them skidish also.

I slacked on collecting eggs for a few days and now I have 5 broodys: 1 turkey, 2 bantams, 1 Orp and 1 Welsummmer. I am trying to break the Welsummer because she is very skidish and she might imprint on her babies and make them skidish also.

I go out there several time's a day to collect my egg's.

I don't really want baby chicks running around everywhere..right.

It's easier to handle the chick situation when you are the one that is hatching them yourself. You can put a limit on how many are hatched, and check the health of them, and any spaddled leg's, or curled toes or such. It's easier to clean up any poopy butts, plus make sure that all are being able to eat and drink as they should.

Last edited:
Good luck with that. I tried that a couple years ago, and the rest of the flock ate the babies after they hatched.
I'm thinking of just letting her incubate them for a couple weeks and taking them from her in the last week to put in the incubator. I really wanted her in the crate where no one would get to her or the eggs. Thanks for the warnings!

My DH offered to make a door to the nest box to keep her secure. Since she didn't take to the crate I might let him make the door out of wire with a sturdy frame since she seems to be comfortable there again today.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of just letting her incubate them for a couple weeks and taking them from her in the last week to put in the incubator. I really wanted her in the crate where no one would get to her or the eggs. Thanks for the warnings!

My DH offered to make a door to the nest box to keep her secure. Since she didn't take to the crate I might let him make the door out of wire with a sturdy frame since she seems to be comfortable there again today.

She's still going to have to get out of there every day to eat, drink, and take her dust bath. Those boddy poop's are pretty big and stinky.

Back
Top Bottom