Arizona Chickens

The recording said lots of people within Pinal, Greenlee, Navajo, Coconino, Yavapai, and I think Apache counties were without power. I don't know if it relates to the fires. I was worried about the animals, and my dogs have really thick coats.

Fingers crossed that everybody's AC keeps working! Mine, too!

Last edited:
Yes, if it is critical (and biggest fear) do all you can to prepare for it. I have to remember to fill up water everywhere and any spare pots, buckets, tanks, etc in case electricity goes out (since electric powered well pump). Next make sure have fuel for generator if need to run it when stored water runs out. Then have some cotton sheets or even burlap, old towels to wet down to make evap cooling if it comes to no AC. I have a battery powered fan and some solar powered fans too.

Whenever I travel by car in summer I use the battery powered fan and tank of water & sheets to evap cool in case of traffic stoppage. Especially important if you have any animals in car (I try not to in summer).
Wonderful preparedness ideas! I could have used the sheets/towels in the car and battery fan, any number of times trying to drive home on I-17!

I bought a watermelon to help keep the chickens cool. The smallest one they had was almost 20 lbs. Guess I'll have to help them eat it. :confused:

Can I cut it and give it to them rind, seeds, and all, or will they choke on the rind or seeds?
Don't know about watermelon, but one time I gave the birds some cantelope. Someone told me cut into wedges and give shell and all, the birds wouldn't eat the shell.....I went out later to collect the shell/rind, there was none! no ill effects on the birds though.

@CaroleW How are those hen's doing now? Has Roger spotted them yet?
Not yet - I'm just getting ready to integrate the 2 flocks at end of this week. I've been traveling for work so wanted to be here to supervise instead of my DH having to put everyone up in the coop if it came to that. It's a long ladder up to the coop - took Roger a few days to figure out he needed to go UP when I first put him in there so figure these hens will need some training too.

I know they can hear Roger - but they are not in direct eyesight in temporary pen.

I bought a watermelon to help keep the chickens cool. The smallest one they had was almost 20 lbs. Guess I'll have to help them eat it. :confused:

Can I cut it and give it to them rind, seeds, and all, or will they choke on the rind or seeds?
I give it all... they pick at it until only the outside skin is left.

Even the so-called seedless watermelon's still have a few seed's in them, but that's what I give to mine. I just cut one into 1/4's and then put it out there. That way it spaces them out a bit so more can have some. It doesn't seem to bother them none. When I do the cantaloupe I do remove those seed's, and they clean up on the rest of it.

Even the so-called seedless watermelon's still have a few seed's in them, but that's what I give to mine. I just cut one into 1/4's and then put it out there. That way it spaces them out a bit so more can have some. It doesn't seem to bother them none. When I do the cantaloupe I do remove those seed's. and they clean up on the rest of it.
I have some kind of melon or cucumber sprouting in greenhouse beds where I had chickens over winter. Also a lot of BOSS sunflowers that I transplanted outside.

Not yet - I'm just getting ready to integrate the 2 flocks at end of this week. I've been traveling for work so wanted to be here to supervise instead of my DH having to put everyone up in the coop if it came to that. It's a long ladder up to the coop - took Roger a few days to figure out he needed to go UP when I first put him in there so figure these hens will need some training too.

I know they can hear Roger - but they are not in direct eyesight in temporary pen.

I hope that your other hen's won't be too jealous when you do that. :gig

Back
Top Bottom