Arizona Chickens

I guess I'd just head to Mesa and try to keep 39 chickens in the backyard there- only about 25 over the limit...LOL... I don't really think I'd be able to catch them all but would set a timer and try. I don't expect to have to evacuate, but I have to at least make a plan and set things up to make it easier if it comes to it. I'm sure I could camp out for a day at a livestock evac area if I had to.

View attachment 2728989I just see a lot of smoke over the hills right now so it makes you think. My boss in Sedona is getting all the smoke because the wind is blowing towards the east and there are closer fires in addition to this one over that way.

Maybe you could also cut down any brush on your property that could fuel a fire?

Maybe you could also cut down any brush on your property that could fuel a fire?
We've cut all the dead trees this past winter already. There's not much growing now. If we cut the few weeds they would dry out and be more fuel than if they were standing green. I don't think it will get here anyway and if it does wouldn't be homeless we'd just sweat it out in Mesa. Many would be in worse positions that we are.

We've cut all the dead trees this past winter already. There's not much growing now. If we cut the few weeds they would dry out and be more fuel than if they were standing green. I don't think it will get here anyway and if it does wouldn't be homeless we'd just sweat it out in Mesa. Many would be in worse positions that we are.

I just spotted these, in case you need more:

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/d/phoenix-lk-new-heavy-duty-large-wire/7340391747.html

Here is some great animal evac checklists/procedures that I found... some of you may be interested in them... they are for Yavapai Co so adapt it or see if there's one for your own county.
https://eeeyc.org/are-you-prepared/

Yes, I was thinking of going to a certain thrift store today to see if they have any more of the wire crates. I pick one or 2 up everytime. I did actually unfold & set them all up last nite in a convenient place.

There's very little wind here for last 2 days and the smoke is going to east so little danger right now. Counting my blessings and praying for those in real danger.

Here is some great animal evac checklists/procedures that I found... some of you may be interested in them... they are for Yavapai Co so adapt it or see if there's one for your own county.
https://eeeyc.org/are-you-prepared/

Yes, I was thinking of going to a certain thrift store today to see if they have any more of the wire crates. I pick one or 2 up everytime.

There's very little wind here for last 2 days and the smoke is going to east so little danger right now. Counting my blessings and praying for those in real danger.

That link that you just gave look's like it could help anyone with their animals that have to evacuate from the fire's. I don't think that a person could be too unprepared in a case like that.

Good luck with the hatch! When did you start them going?
Yesterday about 7am. I think scheduled hatch date is 7/13. I'm also testing the HatchKeeper App to keep track of the dates. We'll see what happens... I'm only incubating NN mix eggs right now. Maybe at candling I will add some Barred Holland to replace any bad eggs, I don't know yet if I want a potential staggered hatch in one incubator since this is my first attempt at incubating.

I could put the ones on lockdown in my home made incubator if needed.

Yesterday about 7am. I think scheduled hatch date is 7/13. I'm also testing the HatchKeeper App to keep track of the dates. We'll see what happens... I'm only incubating NN mix eggs right now. Maybe at candling I will add some Barred Holland to replace any bad eggs, I don't know yet if I want a potential staggered hatch in one incubator since this is my first attempt at incubating.

I think that it would be wise not to try to do a staggered hatch until you have a bit of experience in hatching under your belt. You could do a Barred Holland hatch after the NN mix egg's hatch and after you clean out the incubator, so that it's sterile for that batch.

Back
Top Bottom