Arizona Chickens

I need a chart of what weeds the chickens can't eat to clear them out,
Generally chickens know what to eat on their own. In my backyard I have things that are bad for chickens. Lillie's,, Tomato plants,, Yew trees,, Nightshade growing thru neighbors fence,, and probably others, I missed noting. My chickens do not snack on any of these. They choose what they like, and it does not seem to be the poisonous plants. Have been keeping chickens over 20 years now, with no instances of chicken deaths due to poisoning. :old

I do have a chart listing ALL,,, or most of the common plants that are toxic to chickens. That list is longer than my driveway to the street:gig
I will try to search for it , but just now, I don't know exactly where I put it.:idunno
It may be similar to California's' Warning. Where even tiny trace amounts or category to be included on product label.
I'm not writing this to start a debate on California's Warning Policies, Just pointing out that if a chicken tries a small peck of a poisonous plant,,,, they do not automatically die.
There are tables that list "Lethal Dose" amounts (of various things) which include water for humans.

I hope they figure out where to put that kind of water, before they build on the site!

I had a temp job once that involved cut/paste/paraphrase all of a state's regs, a state at a time. Was dismayed to see that AZ was nearly as big as CA and Connecticut and Rhode Island (whose regs were tomes!).

Seems there're always some weeds the birds leave alone. Usually ones with fuzzies on them, which make them feel bad in their mouths. Haven't had any problems in Mayer or Black Canyon. Where abouts are you located?
South east edge of Tucson

Generally chickens know what to eat on their own. In my backyard I have things that are bad for chickens. Lillie's,, Tomato plants,, Yew trees,, Nightshade growing thru neighbors fence,, and probably others, I missed noting. My chickens do not snack on any of these. They choose what they like, and it does not seem to be the poisonous plants. Have been keeping chickens over 20 years now, with no instances of chicken deaths due to poisoning. :old

I do have a chart listing ALL,,, or most of the common plants that are toxic to chickens. That list is longer than my driveway to the street:gig
I will try to search for it , but just now, I don't know exactly where I put it.:idunno
It may be similar to California's' Warning. Where even tiny trace amounts or category to be included on product label.
I'm not writing this to start a debate on California's Warning Policies, Just pointing out that if a chicken tries a small peck of a poisonous plant,,,, they do not automatically die.
There are tables that list "Lethal Dose" amounts (of various things) which include water for humans.
It's mostly crab grass, I'm seeing new things sprouting that I've never seen before but this is also the most rain I've seen since moving to AZ. Also my husband torched the yard last year to destroy the goat head thorns, half the yard was a solid thorn patch, it worked but the burn also caused several other typed of plants to start growing, I assumed they were types of seed that rely on natural fires and sit dormant in the dirt. Milkweed is the main one I've been targeting, I want it for the butterflies but just not in the chickens area so I'm transplanting them. Mice ate all my potato plants, probably why I haven't seen any mice lately.

@BlueBaby - Roger and my Wyandotte's chick just hatched! I didn't see any signs of it this morning and just now I was in office working on deadline and all the sudden heard it chirping like crazy! It is dark colored NN with bowtie looks like to me. Pics to follow.

This was after a 6 hr power outage on Friday - I plugged incubator into my computer back UPS power after about 30 minutes of temp drop.

@BlueBaby - Roger and my Wyandotte's chick just hatched! I didn't see any signs of it this morning and just now I was in office working on deadline and all the sudden heard it chirping like crazy! It is dark colored NN with bowtie looks like to me. Pics to follow.

This was after a 6 hr power outage on Friday - I plugged incubator into my computer back UPS power after about 30 minutes of temp drop.

Cool! How many egg's by mean's of Roger are in the batch?

Cool! How many egg's by mean's of Roger are in the batch?
I had 2 that were fertile but I don't know if the other one was really viable - it's still in there - brown egg so just giving it a chance since I couldn't really see when candling. I expect some more of Roger's will hatch 2nd week in Aug.

This batch got wittled down probably last power outage.

I had 2 that were fertile but I don't know if the other one was really viable - it's still in there - brown egg so just giving it a chance since I couldn't really see when candling. I expect some more of Roger's will hatch 2nd week in Aug.

This batch got wittled down probably last power outage.

You must have recently started a new batch going then, because the one's that I just set are due on Aug. 14th.

You must have recently started a new batch going then, because the one's that I just set are due on Aug. 14th.
Yes I ordered another incubator (which just arrived NOW) so I started some on 7-19 just waiting for this incubator OR I was going to do lockdown in my homemade bator. But as it is now everyone's in one bator with a divider panel with a hole in it to keep air flow correct and some are turning while other side has rollers taken out.

Roger and Wyandotte NN mix chick pic - the first chick I ever hatched! About an hour old now.
20210726_120156.jpg
20210726_120148.jpg

Back
Top Bottom