Arizona Chickens

Finally got the 6 week old chicks in their run today, fat Albert the Cornish cross was having a hard time in the coop but he's doing great today laying around in the shade eating grass. He's the one I was always tending to every day cause he was always panting in there and I knew he was too hot. The rest of them never panted like that in there. The coop is up against the house so it's only in the morning sun and fully shaded by 12:30-1:00 but about 10 every morning he'd start panting so I'm glad he's comfortable in there, I felt bad not having anywhere else safe to put him. The upside of my husband being off work is we finally get all the projects complete.

Roger and Wyandotte NN mix chick pic - the first chick I ever hatched! About an hour old now.
View attachment 2774417View attachment 2774416
You'll have to give that chick a special name for being your first!

Yes I ordered another incubator (which just arrived NOW) so I started some on 7-19 just waiting for this incubator OR I was going to do lockdown in my homemade bator. But as it is now everyone's in one bator with a divider panel with a hole in it to keep air flow correct and some are turning while other side has rollers taken out.

Practicing on how to do split hatches now? :gig

Will I need to slowly introduce the almost 2 week old chicks with the 6 week olds? They're still in my bathroom under the heat lamp, I was gonna keep them in until 3 weeks then transfer them out to the new coop were working on. I've seen some other threads about introducing new chicks with hens but not sure why or how to do it if necessary?

When you introduce them watch them carefully. If you see too much bullying, then you will have to separate them again until the littler one's are big enough to handle it better. A large wire dog crate will work good. If the wire is too wide for the younger chick's, then you can attach some hardware cloth wire to the outside of it. I did mine like that and attached it going 12" up from the bottom. I did that for my grow-out pen/cage to protect them from the adult's in a look but don't touch thing.

Will I need to slowly introduce the almost 2 week old chicks with the 6 week olds? They're still in my bathroom under the heat lamp, I was gonna keep them in until 3 weeks then transfer them out to the new coop were working on. I've seen some other threads about introducing new chicks with hens but not sure why or how to do it if necessary?
Others have more experience with that - but I would keep them separate for a while or maybe within sight of each other until the littles can hold their own. Then maybe secure their door open just enough so only littles can get in or out to freedom or safety at their choice.

I just discovered it's illegal in Arizona to sell eggs unless you register! And then you can't advertise them (unless they are grade A and you are under Dept of Ag inspections) as "Fresh" or "Local"!!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...tise-nest-run-eggs-as-fresh-or-local.1484467/
OOPS , I see that is what you were talking about. Nest run is not graded, I do not say "fresh" I just write the date I picked the eggs up on a post it. I do not sell enough to even matter, only to neighbors and friends of friends.

Back
Top Bottom