Turkey raising chicks??

klb25

Songster
Jul 28, 2021
Middle Tennessee
I need some advice. I have chickens but know nothing of turkeys. I am about to house/pet sit for a neighbor's flock of chickens and turkeys while she is out of the country.

The issue is today she realized she has a turkey setting not only on turkey eggs, but a few chicken eggs as well. Neighbor will not be here when they hatch, so I'm wondering how many days it takes for turkey eggs to hatch vs chickens? Is there any chance the mama will actually raise everyone? Should I try to separate the chicks?

Any advice is very much appreciated!

28 for turkey, 21 for chick
It depends on the hen.
Most get off the nest as soon as the first baby wanders away looking for food.
I have had turkeys stay on the nest ignoring the poults or chicks so long as one rotten smelly egg remained.
I have had them abandon chicks when they realize how different they are than the poults.
I had one that killed anybody when they hatched.

28 for turkey, 21 for chick
It depends on the hen.
Most get off the nest as soon as the first baby wanders away looking for food.
I have had turkeys stay on the nest ignoring the poults or chicks so long as one rotten smelly egg remained.
I have had them abandon chicks when they realize how different they are than the poults.
I had one that killed anybody when they hatched.
Thank you! I think I'll try to convince my neighbor to remove the chicken eggs. Maybe that will give the poults a better chance.

Back
Top Bottom