Needing advice: New to turkeys!

JOHNSON_ALEXA21

Hatching
Mar 5, 2024
Hello! I have 5 fertilized Narragansett eggs incubating right now so fingers crossed we get some to hatch! However, I'm starting to feel the pressure of actually raising them! :) Would love advice.

We live on 3 acres, our chickens have a large coop they faithfully go in at night and primarily free-range during the day, other than bad weather or if we're going to be gone most of the day. The chickens we have never had issues with leaving our property, but I'm worried about the turkeys wandering off or bothering our neighbors. Our property is unfenced, any tips?

Also, it sounds like turkeys don't typically go in coops, they will just roost in trees? Which is fine, but even in the winter? We're in Nebraska so our winters are very cold with snow.

Lastly, we have a large garden, it's fenced but only 4 foot so I doubt that will keep them out. I know my husband will lose his mind if they destroy his garden so any advice on keeping them out of there would be much appreciated!!

Hello! I have 5 fertilized Narragansett eggs incubating right now so fingers crossed we get some to hatch! However, I'm starting to feel the pressure of actually raising them! :) Would love advice.

We live on 3 acres, our chickens have a large coop they faithfully go in at night and primarily free-range during the day, other than bad weather or if we're going to be gone most of the day. The chickens we have never had issues with leaving our property, but I'm worried about the turkeys wandering off or bothering our neighbors. Our property is unfenced, any tips?

Also, it sounds like turkeys don't typically go in coops, they will just roost in trees? Which is fine, but even in the winter? We're in Nebraska so our winters are very cold with snow.

Lastly, we have a large garden, it's fenced but only 4 foot so I doubt that will keep them out. I know my husband will lose his mind if they destroy his garden so any advice on keeping them out of there would be much appreciated!!
If you want to keep them home, you will have to pen them or fence your property with an appropriate fence.

Turkeys are very cold hardy. Mine roost outside in an area sheltered from the prevailing wind. They did fine in the -40°F last winter and the -34°F this January.

A 4' fence around your garden will not keep them out of it. It will help make it less attractive to them if you never feed them treats from the garden. I have an 8' tall fence around my garden. I also have an approximately 2 acre fenced area where they can free range during the day.

They will need shade on sunny days even in the winter.

Also, it sounds like turkeys don't typically go in coops,
They do if you build it big enough (minimum height, six feet) and you herd them in there every night. After a year mine (one Narragansett, one Bourbon Red, both females) have got the idea and generally put themselves to bed at dusk. I encourage them by keeping their food inside their pen; since they don't really have a chance to eat all day (they eat lots of bugs but they like their food) they are more likely to come home to roost. Also, mine are kind of human imprinted, so wherever I am, they are also (and since I'm often nearby the coop rounding up tardy chickens, my presence is a double incentive). So yes, you can put your turkeys to bed in a coop :).
Lastly, we have a large garden, it's fenced but only 4 foot so I doubt that will keep them out.
Mine routinely fly up at least six feet, and down more than ten feet.
but I'm worried about the turkeys wandering off or bothering our neighbors.
Yes, mine like to roam, but I have a fenced yard. You could make a easy, not-too-expensive pen for them with some netting and stakes...

Back
Top Bottom