Arizona Chickens

Lots of shade; lots of water. Install an automatic waterer. Miss water one day, and you are out of the chicken business. Put a lawn sprinkler in the chicken yard on a timer so that it goes off several times a day.

The rains we have had in the last couple of days produced a bounty of grass and weeds. Chickens love dandy lions, mustard weed and winter grass. Let them go at it.

Rufus
I’m in Salt Lake, we had plenty of 107 degree days..I put a six head mister cable in the run for late afternoons, a portable swamp cooler in the coop, sprayed water under the coop to cool off the dirt for them..and I made sure I had redundant sources of water (3) so if one possibly ran out, they would never be out completely..one two cup two gallon wall Mount inside the coop, and two drinkers in the run..although I constantly check and make sure they’re all full all the time..

I’m in Salt Lake, we had plenty of 107 degree days..I put a six head mister cable in the run for late afternoons, a portable swamp cooler in the coop, sprayed water under the coop to cool off the dirt for them..and I made sure I had redundant sources of water (3) so if one possibly ran out, they would never be out completely..one two cup two gallon wall Mount inside the coop, and two drinkers in the run..although I constantly check and make sure they’re all full all the time..
You did a great job! redundant sources used to be something only IT folk thought of, so good thinking! You never know when one source will dry up, get tipped over, get too warm to be "drinkable" etc. And the swamp cooler! that must be very nice, some of us have misters without swamp coolers and hate when the bedding gets wet.

@cavemanrich You will also need to make some dessert. What one of these do you think would be best? It's getting hot again over this way, and there were a few that were looking good to me.:

https://www.bettycrocker.com/menus-...eSEO8XhwSysOVEngEdlBj_3Cd3jKT4TSLkugSUKvzzw==
You are correct there. :thumbsup
I have a stack of recipes that,,,, some are from my mom, and others, from online.

I did get this while shopping,,,,, along with other things besides the Red Lobster potion.
image_2021-08-25_151953.png

Yes also 2 boxes,, :old:love
When I do the baking,,,,, I intend to slip in some fresh fruit into the dough to bake. Not sure what at this time,, but plums sound delish now.
I like to experiment,,, and do what the recipe does not show...

My new line around the house is,,, "NOBODY IS GONNA HURT ME" :gig:highfive:,, For changing the contents of a recipe.:wee

You did a great job! redundant sources used to be something only IT folk thought of, so good thinking! You never know when one source will dry up, get tipped over, get too warm to be "drinkable" etc. And the swamp cooler! that must be very nice, some of us have misters without swamp coolers and hate when the bedding gets wet.
Redundancy is a prepper/homestead type saying too - "2 is 1, 1 is none". Probably came from military folks - I'm guessing.

When I first read Hatch Chili, I thought it was a misspelled word meaning Hot Chili.
So I looked it up.
View attachment 2811001
Sure enough it is correct. :old:thumbsup
This brings me back to when DW purchased some a while back at the produce department,,,,,, thinking they were sweet banana peppers.
She made them like she would the sweet ones,,,,,, and could not believe the BANDITS were HOT.:mad::gig
DW cant handle the Hot Spice to the level I can. ,,,
For marketing names in that image, I think the Anaheim pepper is mis-categorised, every Anaheim pepper I've ever had eas not spicy at all but sweet, my mom used them for breakfast dishes all the time growing up. I've been using hatch chiles when I make chicken enchiladas and it tastes better than the regular green chiles we used growing up.

No, that was a different plant altogether. This is the pigweed:

https://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=27466
I have several of those in my yard, both the small red ones and the taller one. On a random site I was reading it said for the taller ones they can eat it but as soon as it blooms to stop because the blooms contain something that's toxic. May have been a different weed all together but it looks the same. My yard has a bunch of purslane I was giving them and in the last 2 days, caterpillars have decimated all of it, it just a bunch of red stems now. There looks like 2 types that both look like purslane but one has red stems and one has green stems, the caterpillars haven't been touching the few with green stems, someone warned me of a toxic look alike but Idk if that's what it is. The caterpillars are huge though, start of tiny green and get almost 2" long and turn yellow, orange, or red, some are the same pink color as the stems. One wandered into the chicken run and they pecked it but didn't eat it, I assume it was no good so they left it

Redundancy is a prepper/homestead type saying too - "2 is 1, 1 is none". Probably came from military folks - I'm guessing.
I like multipule food and water dishes, because sometimes the dominant bird will guard the food and/or water. Widely separated food and water stations prevent this problem, and keep them from running out too.

I have several of those in my yard, both the small red ones and the taller one. On a random site I was reading it said for the taller ones they can eat it but as soon as it blooms to stop because the blooms contain something that's toxic. May have been a different weed all together but it looks the same. My yard has a bunch of purslane I was giving them and in the last 2 days, caterpillars have decimated all of it, it just a bunch of red stems now. There looks like 2 types that both look like purslane but one has red stems and one has green stems, the caterpillars haven't been touching the few with green stems, someone warned me of a toxic look alike but Idk if that's what it is. The caterpillars are huge though, start of tiny green and get almost 2" long and turn yellow, orange, or red, some are the same pink color as the stems. One wandered into the chicken run and they pecked it but didn't eat it, I assume it was no good so they left it
I also have too many "look alikes", or almost. I thought I had some pigweed but the seeds have multiple points and there are small burrs on the stems. I pulled them. I might have some of the prostrate pigweed and maybe purslane too but I just don't know. I also have a lot of the herbal smelling weed that grows really big, with furry leaves and stems but not stickery. When several inches you can still pull it with bare hands. I can't put my nose on the smell, it reminds me of italian seasoning but I couldn't match it with rosemary, thyme, oregano etc.

I also have too many "look alikes", or almost. I thought I had some pigweed but the seeds have multiple points and there are small burrs on the stems. I pulled them. I might have some of the prostrate pigweed and maybe purslane too but I just don't know. I also have a lot of the herbal smelling weed that grows really big, with furry leaves and stems but not stickery. When several inches you can still pull it with bare hands. I can't put my nose on the smell, it reminds me of italian seasoning but I couldn't match it with rosemary, thyme, oregano etc.
Sounds like it could be a sage. They grow well in our climate.

Back
Top Bottom