Arizona Chickens

Sounds like it could be a sage. They grow well in our climate.
I was wondering that too. One of my friend's over here has some growing in their backyard. There was so much of it that they gave me some of it. I dried it and then pulled off the leaves. I add a bit of that to the wet feed for the chicken's sometimes.

I was wondering that too. One of my friend's over here has some growing in their backyard. There was so much of it that they gave me some of it. I dried it and then pulled off the leaves. I add a bit of that to the wet feed for the chicken's sometimes.
Here are the herbal-scented weeds:

Attachments

• IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0701.jpg
    IMG_0701.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 2
My place is overrun with silverleaf nightshade. It is literally all over the place, and while it's pretty, nightshade plants most likely aren't the greatest thing to have around chickens. It's probably not as bad as ragweed, though.
Not very edible. I got some nice chick seed from TSC that I planted and it is mostly clover. I had to keep them off of ti last year while it got started, but now the ducks love it and have not killed it. Chickens get grass.

My place is overrun with silverleaf nightshade. It is literally all over the place, and while it's pretty, nightshade plants most likely aren't the greatest thing to have around chickens. It's probably not as bad as ragweed, though.
Chicken's like to eat caterpillar's, and any caterpillar's that feed on nightshade would be poisonous to the chicken's.

I've had both. Two neighbors have the silverleaf nightshade (which I just learned what it was, thanks to @BlueBaby's post--a link ID'd it, and the berries are poisonous). You can't pull the nightshade with your bear hands once it's barely an inch tall because of the nasty painful stickers/hairs on the stems. It spreads by runners. After the rain at my old place I could pull up a plant and up to a foot of runner. I don't envy you!

Cleaning the mini coop for the chicks and getting it set up for them to start to spend night outside... hopefully tomorrow.

I figured out how to get them in the crate all together to bring them inside - put the kitty carrier in the chicken tractor with feeder inside it right before dark. All the littles went in and I only had handle the 3 big chicks huddling in a corner.

Back
Top Bottom